The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Down A Bit, Down A Bit, That's It...
By CrouchyM
Pretty sure mine need changing, are they a ball ache? Never done a pair on an EP3.

Easiest way? Found a thread where the guy removed the hub and used a hydraulic press, this the best way?

Any help info appreciated.

Max
By NHB_EP3_Chris
Fairly involved job to be honest. You need to crack loose the axle nut, remove the wheel and brakes, split the balljoint, disconnect strut bolts and remove the hub. Then get the hub ideally under a press and force the old joint out. I've done it with a hammer and blowtorch but they take some effort, then refit the new one (freezing the new joint and heating the hub helps a lot). Then refit back in reverse but you should always use a new axle nut. I do mine each year so am quite used to it! Pain in the ass doing it on your drive this time of year.
By 03NHBtypeR
I've done this on a few cars now and for me this is the best method:

Buy a Clarke electric impact wrench (£55 from tool.net)
Buy a balljoint service kit exactly like this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/19083977 ... =95&ff19=0

Remove wheel
Remove calipers and discs
Remove driveshaft hub nut (seconds with impact wrench)
Remove track rod end from hub
Remove bottom balljoint nut and seperate
Remove top mount bolts and remove complete strut and hub assembly
Use correct sized sleeve over balljoint, position the clamp and use impact wrench to force out balljoint.
Clean bore and fit new balljoint
Refit parts as removed

I may have missed something out but you get the idea. This for me is by far the best method and using the impact wrench takes so mich time out of the job. Hub nuts and lower balljoint nuts removed in seconds, as are the balljoints.
By CrouchyM
Did one today at work ironically, wasn't that bad, removed the hub, left the disk and backplate on the hub, put it in the vice horizontally, heated up the outside of the balljoint (actual hub) with the oxyacetylene and hammered it out.

Cleaned it up, and it was still hot enough to lightly tap the new one in, covered it I'm locktite first just incase, let it cool down and it was solid, then put the clip on and job done.

Refit the hub ect.
By CJ Type R
Sorry to jack the thread but saves a new one for the same questions.
Was thinking about doing mine as she knocks over bumps too much now. I'm planning on getting a garage to do the work as I've got a new clutch/fly to go in along with a whole poly bush set.
You can't buy just the ball joint from honda so where's the best place to get them? Ebay have some but don't fancy a real cheap deal... you get what you pay for and all.

Cheers
By JamieP
Eightspeed sell the ball joints seperately.

£14.40 each.

They're found under the sub-menu --> Suspension alignment.
By CrouchyM
I got mine from euro car parts £10.80ish each.
By JDP
If you plan on lowering it too, tegiwa do extended ball joints for 95 a pair :)
By CrouchyM
JDP wrote:If you plan on lowering it too, tegiwa do extended ball joints for 95 a pair :)
I'm on BC coilovers already. Image
By CrouchyM
£95 got a pair or £10 each for oem. Lol
By jonezy
CrouchyM wrote:£95 got a pair or £10 each for oem. Lol
Think they went up to about £130 a set. Fair play if you have found em at original price though
By CrouchyM
jonezy wrote:
Think they went up to about £130 a set. Fair play if you have found em at original price though
Not oem but pattern. Euro car parts lol. Still £10 is a winner. Will do for now untill I justify the money for tegiwa or buddy club ones.
By jonezy
Your right! Tegiwa brought those out quietly!
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]