The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Bhp or Beefy Sounds...
By matt ep
Looking for some advice....

Current set up Solid Fab 3" straight through system. Great for gains but comes at sacrifice of being intrusive in the cabin. Too loud for my personal taste and somewhat drowns out the charger whine.

Without changing to a full Toda catback system, what's the thoughts and views of a Dolphin tail Toda back box mated to the 3" b pipe? From my understanding the Toda is 2.5".

Anybody had experience of 3" mid with a 2.5" back Box?
Toda's are renowned for being 'quieter' exhausts available....I understand it will be on the loud side due to keeping the 3" just looking for a more subtle tone.
Go's without saying the Toda also looks awesome!

Any help/advice appreciated

Matt
By w6ady
Have you thought about asking Alan at solid fabrications to add a silencer to your straight through system? I have his super silent system and it's very quiet for a 3" exhaust.
By *nub*
3" mid pipe without a silencer is mental, even a toda backbox won't help much. Get a silencer fitted in the mid pipe as large as possible. I presume you already have a toda backbox? With some fabrication to the end of the mid pipe this could be mated to it. But it may not be much quieter than your 3" backbox, it depends how large your current 3" backbox is compared to the toda. Having 2.5" backbox won't really restrict anything. Indeed, 2.5" entire catback isn't greatly restrictive on a charged car. That's why I didn't bother with one. You're talking like 10bhp maybe, and what's 10bhp when you've already got 300?
By matt ep
w6ady » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:05 pm wrote:Have you thought about asking Alan at solid fabrications to add a silencer to your straight through system? I have his super silent system and it's very quiet for a 3" exhaust.
Was considering this option but have heard that the super silent system is still fairly loud even at cruising speeds 50-70...? Maybe I'm mistaken.
The main reason for the Toda is I have the option of an almost new dolphin tail backbox (which I LOVE the look of) and thought it may just tone things down a touch without sacrificing and ponies
By matt ep
*nub* » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:04 pm wrote:3" mid pipe without a silencer is mental, even a toda backbox won't help much. Get a silencer fitted in the mid pipe as large as possible. I presume you already have a toda backbox? With some fabrication to the end of the mid pipe this could be mated to it. But it may not be much quieter than your 3" backbox, it depends how large your current 3" backbox is compared to the toda. Having 2.5" backbox won't really restrict anything. Indeed, 2.5" entire catback isn't greatly restrictive on a charged car. That's why I didn't bother with one. You're talking like 10bhp maybe, and what's 10bhp when you've already got 300?
Interesting point and also my suspicions of would the Toda would make any noticeable difference at all to the DB levels...
I haven't contemplated a silencer, feel bad to cut into Alan's beautiful work. Not only that he's not around the corner from me either so was hoping not to make the lengthy trip again if I'm honest. Anybody else touching it would almost be an insult to his welding :lol:
By *nub*
Him adding a silencer is just another two welds for him. If you do not add a silencer you will NEVER get it anywhere near quiet believe me. You said the super silent is still reasonably loud, and you're right. But that is as quiet as you will get it. Toda backbox would be slightly whiter because there is over .5 inches more surface area for the silencer as the pipe is that much smaller. If you do not add a mid silencer then forget about it lol. Also toda is 2.38", not 2.5
By *nub*
Yeah that's what I was trying to say. The super silent systems have the largest silencers possible in both locations. It's even possible to add one 3rd silencer near the end of the system but this would be very small.
By matt ep
Sounds like silencers may be the route then! Appreciate the feedback fella's. Just trying to gauge the best possible solution to get me what I want.....maybe Toda backbox mated to the B pipe with Mid silencer also and hope the DB's ain't too high. Track days is on the agenda very soon so as much as its for the sake of my eardrums I need to be track friendly
By matt ep
Went up to see Alan at Solid Fab in the end. Went for his Super Silent system with his new ti dolphin tail (stunning). Still couldn't believe how loud it is but just in awe of his art! Silencer is bleeding huge aswell! Has a different tone to my old system so have come around to the noise

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]