The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Bhp or Beefy Sounds...
Hi All,

Looking for some guidance / advice on this please. My current exhaust setup is –

RBC / DC Sports header with de-cat / Unsilenced Super Sprint B Pipe / AC Invo back box – TDI mapped at 248.7bhp, It is extremely loud – great fun to start with for a few years and does sound evil if you like that kind of thing.

But after a few years of it I am ready to go back to standard – my question is, while I gather my parts together – would I be able to put a standard back box on the car to more or less kill the loudness of the exhaust?

Would this affect the running of the car? Due to the back pressure? Last thing I want to do is cause some engine destruction.

And would it quieten the car down a lot?

Thanks Simon
Depends how big the invo back box is. I'm pretty sure it would be a lot quieter but maybe raspy (if it isn't already). The unsilenced b pipe is the bigger factor here IMO. Putting OEM backbox on alone won't make any difference mechanically, won't affect the map or anything else.
Hi Mate,

Maybe the noise was a small factor for going back to standard - I could swap the mid-pipe and / or back box for something quieter - but I hate to say it - I have kind of lost interest in the extra power. You can't really unleash it anywhere now days without the risk out a mobile camera or road safety and I don't do track days anymore. So I though I may as well go back to standard, and enjoy the car.

The AC Invo back box is large! I think the mid-pipe and back box are 2.5 inch? maybe more.

So a standard back box would just be raspy?

Would a silenced b-pipe and standard back box be a quieter option? And not affect the power / bhp?

This is the AC Invo I have. http://civictype-r.co.uk/forum/viewtopi ... 5#p3321325

Thanks
Will look when I get home, on my mobile atm. But a silenced b pipe with oem back box will be almost as quiet as standard. Can't believe you want to return to standard yet you're not selling, it will feel like sh-t to drive once it's standard
Might gather all the parts together then ready for going back to standard, but swap the b-pipe and or back box. That way - same power - less noise.

Win / Win.
I did this when i removed my hks hi power, the car ran fine I was using an Supersprint unsilenced 2.5' b pipe and oem back box also. Needless to say it wasn't on long as it sounded appalling :lol: if you want to run an oem back box i would personally swap for a silenced b pipe while you're at it..it will run absolutely fine without a map adjustment though :smile:
Last edited by Ollie milanoctr on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks Ollie, why did it end up sounding appalling?

Do you mean the unsilenced b-pipe destroyed the OEM back box internals? Making it raspy etc?
WoodyzR wrote:Thanks Ollie, why did it end up sounding appalling?

Do you mean the unsilenced b-pipe destroyed the OEM back box internals? Making it raspy etc?
No the back box was fine its just the sound they make coupled with an unsilenced b pipe. Imagine an empty coke can sellotaped to the b pipe vibrating, or a moped with a hole in the exhaust. Thats the only way I can describe it, and in my honest opinion it sounds shite . I would get a silenced b pipe if your going down the oem back box route :bigthumb:
is best in my salad? sunflower or Olive oil? also I heard

I cannot imagine how Flipping loud it is with an unsilenced b pipe and DC decat mani. You can get a custom 2.5" stainless steel b pipe made at somewhere like longlife exhausts or powerflow for around £150 fitted. You can then sell the unsilenced b pipe for around £100, at least £80 i'd say. If you get a custom b pipe made make you can tell them to make the silencer as large as possible to keep it quiet. I would imagine this is going to be a lot quieter without having to lose the back box which looks nice btw. But the backbox isnt very large itself if you compare it to the size of an OEM backbox
*nub* wrote:Will look when I get home, on my mobile atm. But a silenced b pipe with oem back box will be almost as quiet as standard. Can't believe you want to return to standard yet you're not selling, it will feel like sh-t to drive once it's standard
This would be an ideal combination for a daily driver - all the power without the noise. I'd keep the decat mani and use a silenced B-pipe and OEM backbox. In fact it's quite a popular combination it seems.
Silenced B-Pipes seem hard to find! I can find a Scorpion one at £185. Other than that nothing :bigcry:

Maybe be it's cheaper to get a silencer made for my unsilenced Supersprint B Pipe?

Also still on the lookout for a decent condition back box.

My AEM CAI makes a nice enough noise when the car is opened up, but I've not heard it for 5 odd years due to the exhaust noise....

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]