The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Bhp or Beefy Sounds...
By tp
Saw a couple of posts recently about sound levels and thought I would post these results up from a selection of cars I tested at a RR day a while back. It will give you some idea of what you maybe looking at if you intend to run your car on a trackday.

All readings were taken at 5500rpm with calibrated meter 45' to exhaust outlet and 0.5meters away.

Manifold, B-pipe, Backbox, level (db)

Std, Std, Std, 93
Std, Std, Spoon, 102
Spoon 421, Spoon, Std 94
Toda, Spoon, Spoon, 106
Std, Spoon, Spoon, 104
Jr , TG, TG, 109
Std, TG, TG-Ti. 96
Std, Cobra us, Cobra, 109
DC, Spoon, Spoon, 108
JR, Eurosport, Eurosport, 105, Spercharger & Cams
Std, Mugen, Mugen, 89
Toda, Toda, Toda, 94

Couple of points from personal experience:
1. Spoon bung doesnt actually work very well. Yes it does reduce level slightly but when you lift off it bangs and pops going even higher than a box without the bung.

2. Its worth carrying your standard backbox with you as even with a full race manifold and Spoon B-Pipe it will still see you under 100db. 8)
By Get Karter
V useful info there....I am about to embark on exhaust mods and need to pass 98dB track tests.

How quiet is the full Toda system! Amazing!

Cheers TP [smilie=upyeah.gif]
By GaryMan
Good post tp 8)

I'm surprised with the toda and mugen though- hmmmmm
(as in thinking of upgrading and not as in doubting :P )

:twisted:
By tp
Toda did get me black flagged at Donny though last year and I think they were running a 98db day. They didnt do a static test so it was on a drive-by on one of their many stations that your likely to be on full power.

This was also running with a GruppeM, cams and nitrous so may be quite a bit higher than a normal NA setup.
Saying that, I think Jason AKA Nosman got black flagged as well and he was totally standard! :roll:
By Iain M
Any ideas on what a BC Spec IV comes in at? :idea: :?:
By Get Karter
tp wrote:Toda did get me black flagged at Donny though last year and I think they were running a 98db day. They didnt do a static test so it was on a drive-by on one of their many stations that your likely to be on full power.

This was also running with a GruppeM, cams and nitrous so may be quite a bit higher than a normal NA setup.
Saying that, I think Jason AKA Nosman got black flagged as well and he was totally standard! :roll:
Hmm! I think standard back box is going to be a necessary for me then!

So probably: DC/Jackson, Spoon B-pipe, Standard box

Should be a safe bet??
By R34521
really great post, thanks

How about DC , buddyclub specIV ?
By num0021
Great info there, "tp"! Very useful. :D
By Dave T
Good post Paul.

I had my DC race header and buddyclub spec 4 done last week at Cadwell on the static noise test it was 96dB. This is at 4500rpm as mine does not rev any more than that. Oh and this is with a gruppe m filter and kpro.

On drive by I got black flagged at Donny and they said it was 103dB

Dave T.
By CLB
Toda's an excellent setup, gives plenty of go, low noise when crusing along and a bit of a bark when pushing it. The ideal comprimise IMO.
By SR-25
Spec IV in VTEC i'd say about 100-104 mines pretty loud with DC header but it isn't spoon b pipe/N1 loud

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]