The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Let it breathe...
By theotherme
Well thats good then aint it, that means so long as I keep away from puddles the AEM would be ok.
I have never had issues like this and how often do you vtec it on the motorway, in the poring rain or through a puddle which comes to the bottom of the door.

If you vtec through a puddle which is that deep, the aem is the least of your worries, I would think staying alive would be top, with not killing an oncoming road user a close second.
:shock: :lol:
By theotherme
When I spoke to AEM in the states, they were not to happy about us using the SI kit and said there will be performance advantages with the RSX kit as it is much more like the engine we use in our type-r.

Go for the RSX, its a bit harder to fit but you only have to do it once and we are here to help.
By youngsyp
theotherme wrote:When I spoke to AEM in the states, they were not to happy about us using the SI kit and said there will be performance advantages with the RSX kit as it is much more like the engine we use in our type-r.
Next time you speak to them, ask them to prove these performance advantages :wink:
By TerryCTR
youngsyp wrote:
TerryCTR wrote:^^ :D Well thats good then aint it, that means so long as I keep away from puddles the AEM would be ok.
Puddles that come up to the bottom of the door yes !!
TerryCTR wrote:So thats means I could even find my car not vtecing as standard in similar conditions?
I wouldn't have thought so :!: Due to where the OE air box takes it's air feed from and the fact that the AIT is better sealed on the OE air box piping, this shouldn't happen !
Ah I see said the blind man, cheers man thats cleared things up. Any suggestions to fix this problem then - could the sensor be covered in any way - probably not?
By TerryCTR
theotherme wrote:
Well thats good then aint it, that means so long as I keep away from puddles the AEM would be ok.
I have never had issues like this and how often do you vtec it on the motorway, in the poring rain or through a puddle which comes to the bottom of the door.

If you vtec through a puddle which is that deep, the aem is the least of your worries, I would think staying alive would be top, with not killing an oncoming road user a close second.
:shock: :lol:
Yeah I know mate, im more worried that the sensor was still damp next day say and performance still suffers then when ur looking to vtec - as you do :D
By ritzctr
youngsyp wrote:
Imho, you will not notice any difference in the RSX kit over the SI kit, apart from ease of fitment ! The throttle body tapers down to around the size of the SI kit bore so, this would be a restriction point and negates the need for the RSX kits larger bore !
The RSX kit is desgined for the K20A2 engine which we have in the CTR, the Si kit isn't, it's desgined for a 160hp version.
I was also told by AEM that we should use the RSX version, as the Si kit isn't really wider enough for the engine and wouldn't gain maximum effect from it.
Also when I had Kpro fitted at System-R Paul commented how he noticed the difference at the top of the rev range, as power didn't start to drop off at about 7800rpm as with the Si kit, but kept going till kit the rev limit at 8600rpm.
By TerryCTR
I think I would defo go for the RSX kit if I were to get an AEM but I still need to be convinced in it losing vtec in the wet - i.e a solution cos its always wet up here :evil: and so its going to be an issue for me :sad:
By theotherme
still need to be convinced in it losing vtec in the wet
Where did you hear this, I have never had this happen to me or anyone else?

It is often wet here too.
By TerryCTR
Its been mentioned in a few posts about the AEM over the last month or so I think mate, ive read that many I cant remember which ones but a few ppl agreed that it did happen to them :sad:
By Harv
theotherme wrote:
still need to be convinced in it losing vtec in the wet
Where did you hear this, I have never had this happen to me or anyone else?

It is often wet here too.
It happened to me and a few other people in Switzerland last month on HET. But teh weather was esceptionally bad! :shock:
By TerryCTR
^^ See now the word exceptionally makes me think in all other occasions of sh*t scottish weather I would be ok - aaaaaaaaaaagggggh!!

Anyone got a sound clip of an AEM on a standard CTR nothing else?
By ritzctr
TerryCTR wrote:What about these to protect the filter

http://www.knfilters.com/wraps.htm

Would that be enough to prevent the stoppage of vtec in wet conditions?
Won't stop water, just for use in very dusty conditions.

TBH i haven't any problems with any water on my filter at all. I just cleaned mine yesterday 1st time in 6 months, had been driven in the rain the day before too. There wasn't any sign of water on or around the filter and was pretty clean too, it was alot cleaner than my old HKS use to be in the engine bay.
By TerryCTR
Youngsyp im sure said it was more to do with the sensor getting damp that would stop the car vtecing so I guess it would be useless altho it said some are treated to repel water.

Another member said splash guards would help to prevent it not vtecing and Im sure he means they line the wheel arch - but thats the link he sent me so im not sure if its the same thing he is talking about im waiting for a reply - im probably being daft and missing something.

Have you heard of splash guards and would they line the wheel arch to stop crap getting in and therefore protect the sensor? since fitting these he has not had any probs with the AEM
By jambohargreaves
Hi guys. Im confused. I want to buy the AEM CAI kit for my 02 CTR from funkystyling.com. I thought i found it, it doesnt say "long ram" just AEM cold air intake system. i found the one for the Civic Type R (21-508) but then i read on here somewhere that the order no. is 21-506? i found this and it is for the DC5 Integra??

The answer to my question may well be on one of these 5 pages but im very very hungover and looking at this screen is hurting.

somebody please help me before i realise that i cannot afford £200 and loose this spur of the moment urge to buy one.

Thanks

James

UPDATE
Not hungover today so i did read through all 5 pages and it appears that the DC5 AEM cai would be the better choice for my CTR so thats what i have gone for. First mod ever!! should i of got the exhaust first? or does it not really matter?

Jambo
By LGW
I use my CTR as a company car and visit customers. I'm looking forward to the noise when out on the open road but at low revs is it lets say 'acceptable to turn up in a customes car park'. Don't want to sound like a banshee when trying to flog em a new Computer System :D .
Cheers
Lee
By LGW
Thanks for that. So I decided on the 21-506 and called ABP and they insist on telling me I should be getting 21-508 as this is made for the CTR. I tried explaining what I have read on here but they weren't having it saying the 21-506 is for the DC5. Should I just go ahead tell them that I want it anyway. They have also said they fit for £67.50 which is cool as they are not that far away from me.
jambohargreaves wrote:Hi guys. Im confused. I want to buy the AEM CAI kit for my 02 CTR from funkystyling.com. I thought i found it, it doesnt say "long ram" just AEM cold air intake system. i found the one for the Civic Type R (21-508) but then i read on here somewhere that the order no. is 21-506? i found this and it is for the DC5 Integra??

The answer to my question may well be on one of these 5 pages but im very very hungover and looking at this screen is hurting.

somebody please help me before i realise that i cannot afford £200 and loose this spur of the moment urge to buy one.

Thanks

James

UPDATE
Not hungover today so i did read through all 5 pages and it appears that the DC5 AEM cai would be the better choice for my CTR so thats what i have gone for. First mod ever!! should i of got the exhaust first? or does it not really matter?

Jambo

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]