The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Let it breathe...
!!EVOSTU CAN YOU MAKE THIS A STICKY PLEASE!!

Due to the huge number of people asking the same questions about AEM's i have put together the most Frequently Asked Questions so please use them. If it's not answered here then post below and it WILL be answered.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!DO NOT START ANOTHER AEM THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1.Whats the difference between the AEM Cold Air Induction (CAI) (V1) and the V2?

The CAI kit is a true cold air kit (long ram) with the filter located in the passenger side portion of the front bumper where it can draw cold air with no heatsoak. This is a proven kit with guaranteed gains and proves to be the more popular kit.

The V2 sits in the engine bay (short ram), facing towards the cabin side (back) of the engine bay. The AEM V2 Intake utilizes a dual chamber (using two different diameters and lengths of piping), to create multiple frequency sound waves that help charge the cylinders with air throughout the entire rpm range... This will suffer heatsoak whilst in traffic as all open cone filters in the engine bay suffer. A Heat shield and Cold Air feed will help reduce this once on the move.

2.Where is the best place to buy an AEM induction kit?

http://www.funkystyling.co.uk/parts/index.php proves to be convenient and are well priced.

System-R
CPL Racing
ABP Motorsport also all supply the AEM kits and can fit them for you.

3.How easy is it to fit each kit?

The V2 is the easier kit to fit and will take the average person 30mins to fit as it’s a case of removing the stock airbox and connecting the new filter up to the intake manifold and corresponding brackets. Nothing needs to be relocated to fit this kit.

The CAI kit is harder to fit as it involved removing the passenger side front wheel and wheel arch lining. It does NOT need the bumper removing as some people do to fit it, its just not needed and will make the job a lot harder and time consuming.

Nothing needs to be relocated with this kit unlike the similar Injen CAI. The AEM will fit under the battery and fuse box with NO issues. You MIGHT have to slightly move the horn on its bracket depending on where it’s located as some are located in the front bumper and some are located in the radiator grill.
You will need to slightly trim the wheel arch lining to allow it to be popped back in place but this is VERY obvious when it comes to doing it. The fitting of the CAI will vary between 1hr and 3hrs depending on how competent you are.

Neither kit is hard to fit so mechanical novices shouldn’t struggle but there are some helpful members who can offer advice on fitting it should a problem arise or if you’re just not confident enough to tackle it on your own.

4.How much HP will I get from each kit?

This is not an absolute answer, anything from 5-12hp has been seen on dynos in both the UK and the USA but in my opinion the CAI will have a more consistent power gain and the general concensus is the CAI will release more power than the V2 kit.

5.What do they sound like?

The CAI is a loud kit. It growls from about 4k to 6k revs then becomes very loud from the VTEC cross over point to the rev limit. It does sound like its rattling when it hits 6k revs but this is completely normal. It will hiss when you turn the engine off, again this is completely normal. It will also hiss when the engine is slowing at certain revs and again this is completely normal. There will be a “chunk” noise if you prod the throttle aggressively at low revs and again this is completely normal and is a feature of open cone kits.

The V2 is probably as loud as the CAI but is not as deep toned. It again will vibrate at 6k revs which should just sound like an exaggeration of the normal VTEC crossover. It will also hiss when the engine is turned off and have a quieter hiss when the engine is slowing from revs again.

Anything very metallic might indicate there is something a bit loose so check all bolts/hose clips are done tightly. If they are then check your intake manifold cover and tighten that as that “can” rattle. If all these are tight then your are probably just getting the normal VTEC noise with an open cone.

V2 Video

http://civictype-r.co.uk/forum/viewtop ... hlight=aem

CAI clip to follow.

What should the CAI kit come with

The bits included should be:-

Air Filter
Main tube of the CAI
rubber tube for fixing the main tube onto the throttle body
2 rubber tubes, one larger than the other for oil breather etc..
one rubber seal to fit the air sensor into
nuts and bolt with a rubber fixing on to mount the tube in the wheel arch
jubilee clips for fixing the filter, throttle body and main tube fixing and oil breather etc.. tubes.

6.What does each kit look like?

CAI:

Pictures courtesy of Superfly

V2 Kit

http://images3.fotopic.net/?iid=y37kn9& ... quality=70

http://images4.fotopic.net/?iid=y37knd& ... quality=70

7.Will an RSX type-s kit fit my car?

Yes, these are the kits you should be using.

8.How often do I need to clean the filter?

Depending on driving conditions approximately every 6k miles.

9.Will fitting these increase my fuel consumption?

Only due to the addictive noise they make in VTEC you will use more as you will probably be driving harder initially.

10.Will these invalidate my warranty?

Not entirely. Any part that fails due to the modified part will have no warranty. If you’re rear dampers failed then they would be covered due to be unconnected with the modified part.

WITH ANY MODIFICATION YOU RUN THE RISK OF INVALIDATING YOUR WARRANTY

11.Which kit is the best?

This is a matter of opinion but the CAI kit will suffer no heat soak issues in warm weather and pretty much everyone who has one will vouch for the noticeable Torque/HP increase.
The V2 has some fans but it is the less popular of the 2 kits and it is also considerably more expensive. But on the move you will get gains even more so with a Cold air feed and a heatshield.

I would personally go with a CAI kit everytime out of the 2.

12.Are there any downfalls with either kit?

CAI: Harder to fit, the chance of getting water on the filter (although slim) in heavy heavy rain or deep puddles. More difficult to clean the filter due to location in bumper.

V2: Will suffer heatsoak in warm weather/standing traffic. More expensive than most other short ram kits. HP gains are not as widely recognised.

Fitting instructions for the V2

http://rsx-s.com/aem/AEMv2.htm

As i think of them i will put more FAQ's up here but hopefully that is the basics covered

You CAN ask questions in this sticky regarding the AEM if it's not in the FAQ above, and if it's a relevant question i can add it into the FAQ for future reference.
Last edited by HASNIC on Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
By Kiers
Damn you Nick, i had this on a todo list for the coming week!
About time someone did this! You done a better job than i could have! :D

Great work! :thumbup:
By HASNIC
Kiers wrote:Damn you Nick, i had this on a todo list for the coming week!
About time someone did this! You done a better job than i could have! :D

Great work! :thumbup:
Cheers mate, Carl (N77_CEJ) gave me a hand with it but it needed to be done :wink:
By JT
Nick, great writeup. Only thing is Evo's heatshield won't fit the V2.
By HASNIC
JT wrote:Nick, great writeup. Only thing is Evo's heatshield won't fit the V2.
Ah ok, cheers for pointing that out :wink:
By Tarticus
I sleep with a teddy bear was out Nick but thats an Excellent write up well done dude
By ritzctr
Good write up, only thing to add would be that we should be getting RSX type-s kits. A few people on here have fitted RSX CAI without any problems.

V2 - part no. 24-6106
CAI - part no. 21-506

Link to AEM website - http://www.aempower.com
By HASNIC
ritzctr wrote:Good write up, only thing to add would be that we should be getting RSX type-s kits. A few people on here have fitted RSX CAI without any problems.

V2 - part no. 24-6106
CAI - part no. 21-506

Link to AEM website - http://www.aempower.com
Is that a 100% the RSX CAI kit will fit?
By carlitos
Hello!!

In the sticky i have seen info about the V1 CAI and the V2 (short Ram)

The conclusion is that the V1 CAI has better gains than the V2.

But i have seen this, it seems a V2 CAI (with long ram), or it is the normal V2???

http://www.funkyproduct.co.uk/item_deta ... rodID=2110

Is the same as this one??? i thing not:

http://janin.kuvat.fi/kuvat/Type-R/205_ ... talled.jpg

Can anyone say me if i am wrong???

Thank you very much
By HASNIC
The V2 on the EP3 CTR is only a short ram kit not a long ram. It is only long ram for some applications. The picture shown on funky product is a generic picture and is no the CTR kit.
By carlitos
And why puts `` V2 COLD AIR INTAKE´´ ?????

I am really confused...
By HASNIC
carlitos wrote:And why puts `` V2 COLD AIR INTAKE´´ ?????

I am really confused...
Because for some applications it is a Cold air intake just not the EP3 CTR.
By carlitos
Ok HASNIC so now i now why it is...

If you see the web it is really confusing bc here you put that v2 isn´t CAI and there the put yes!!! jejeje

Thank you for all!!! :D
By HASNIC
carlitos wrote:Ok HASNIC so now i now why it is...

If you see the web it is really confusing bc here you put that v2 isn´t CAI and there the put yes!!! jejeje

Thank you for all!!! :D
On the CTR it isn't a CAI which i presumed by me putting the V2 isn't CAI would make that clear.
By Kiers
You can take a horse to water... :lol:
By jvbates
Has anyone managed to get the Air Bypass Valve fitted on either kit?

I remember reading in a previous post, that it didn't fit on the civic? Is this true?
By HASNIC
jvbates wrote:Has anyone managed to get the Air Bypass Valve fitted on either kit?

I remember reading in a previous post, that it didn't fit on the civic? Is this true?
Yes this is true, the Air by-pass kit won't fit the CAI ktit and wouldn't be needed on the V2 as you would have to submerge the whole front of the car and i think an air-bypass wouldn't be any help!
By jvbates
So, with the V2, it wouldn't be a problem if you hit some deep(ish) standing water? Surely it could still suck some water up without needing to be submerged?

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]