The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Let it breathe...
By EvoStu
Brilliant post. 8)

Nice one matey.

EvoStu.
By Q-Bix
Does anyone know why the bypass valve will only fot the DC5?

Is it a matter of the diameter of the kit, or room in the engine bay?
By theotherme
Is it a matter of the diameter of the kit, or room in the engine bay?
Just no room in the bay.

Tight as a ducks ars*. :shock: :lol:
By ally_mac
ritzctr wrote:The bypass valve will only fit on Integra DC5 not on Civic Type-r.
i think you'll find the Bypass value also fit the civic type r as my mate had one of his civic, its a bit pointless just doing it 4the dc5 filter and not the ep3 as its goin 2b the most popular kit
By theotherme
If you are fitting the RSX kit the Bypass valve Will Not Fit.

I can tell you that on mine (and others will back me up I am sure) that there is absolutly no room. :shock:

I wish it would as I would get one. :)
Last edited by theotherme on Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By ritzctr
theotherme wrote:If you are fitting the RSX kit it Will Not Fit.

I can tell you that on mine (and others will back me up I am sure) that there is absolutly no room. :shock:

I have the RSX kit fitted on mine, no problems at all. The only thing different is you have to drill a mounting hole which isn't a problem.

*Edit Oh sorry you mean the Bypass valve. No there isn't room for that.
By ally_mac
theotherme wrote:If you are fitting the RSX kit the Bypass valve Will Not Fit.

yeah there is no room at the inlet manifold 2mount the bypass value, therefore u have 2mount it further down the pipe, near the battery, this involves cutting the pipe 2fit it. It means the value sits a bit closer 2the filter but its still bout quite a good bit of the ground, so if u were 2go through a puddle and submurge (sp) the value as well, ur car Would b fuked anyway as the water Would b round ur waste
By jap_master
can you fit the aem cai with out removing the bumper?
By ritzctr
jap_master wrote:can you fit the aem cai with out removing the bumper?
Yes.
3.How easy is it to fit each kit?

The CAI kit is harder to fit as it involved removing the passenger side front wheel and wheel arch lining. It does NOT need the bumper removing as some people do to fit it, its just not needed and will make the job a lot harder and time consuming.

Nothing needs to be relocated with this kit unlike the similar Injen CAI. The AEM will fit under the battery and fuse box with NO issues. You MIGHT have to slightly move the horn on its bracket depending on where it’s located as some are located in the front bumper and some are located in the radiator grill.
You will need to slightly trim the wheel arch lining to allow it to be popped back in place but this is VERY obvious when it comes to doing it. The fitting of the CAI will vary between 1hr and 3hrs depending on how competent you are.

Neither kit is hard to fit so mechanical novices shouldn’t struggle but there are some helpful members who can offer advice on fitting it should a problem arise or if you’re just not confident enough to tackle it on your own.
Last edited by ritzctr on Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By MrJoe
Great post dude and answered a lot of the questions I was going to ask Guy at CPL.

In terms of performance, how does the AEM CAI differ from say changing the standard airbox to a Mugen one?
By theotherme
jap_master wrote:
can you fit the aem cai with out removing the bumper?

No.
You can fit the AEM CIA without removing the bumper. This is how it should be done.l
By mofia
would someone be able to post where exactly on the arch liner has to be cut? is it visible from the outside?
By theotherme
would someone be able to post where exactly on the arch liner has to be cut? is it visible from the outside?
No, you can't see it from the out side but you will when you come to put the liner back on. I will see if I can fine a Pic.
By TerryCTR
So after trawling through this it seems that bo the RSX and Si kit will perform well and will be of similar difficulty to fit. Will the difference in pipe diameters make one sound different to the other as thats what im most interested in and is there a price difference - I take it there is?
By theotherme
So after trawling through this it seems that bo the RSX and Si kit will perform well and will be of similar difficulty to fit. Will the difference in pipe diameters make one sound different to the other as thats what im most interested in and is there a price difference - I take it there is?
No,

The SI kit fits like a glove. Its harder to fit than an open cone in the engine but I am as cack handed as they come and I fitted the rsx kit with little issues.

You will get better performance from the RSX kit but you will have to drill a hole to mount it just in front of the wheel arch lining. (Not hard as long as you know that you have to do it.
:oops:
By TerryCTR
Yeah I saw that mate, not sure I fancy drilling myself but I suppose it cant do any harm.

But......... Ive been reading about a few members who were driving on the motorway in heavy rain and the spray caused the filter to become wet and the car wouldnt vtec :shock: Im not too happy about that fair enough the car didnt suffer hydrosoak but they complained the car was sluggish so again there seems to be something up with this kit.

The gruppe m is obviously the daddy but I aint willing to pay that much for what Im essentially looking for - noise! :sad:
By youngsyp
TerryCTR wrote:Yeah I saw that mate, not sure I fancy drilling myself but I suppose it cant do any harm.

But......... Ive been reading about a few members who were driving on the motorway in heavy rain and the spray caused the filter to become wet and the car wouldnt vtec :shock: Im not too happy about that fair enough the car didnt suffer hydrosoak but they complained the car was sluggish so again there seems to be something up with this kit.
Imho, you will not notice any difference in the RSX kit over the SI kit, apart from ease of fitment ! The throttle body tapers down to around the size of the SI kit bore so, this would be a restriction point and negates the need for the RSX kits larger bore !

As for the water issue, I think you'll find this is more to do with the air intake temperature (AIT) sensor getting damp than anything else :wink:
By TerryCTR
^^ :D Well thats good then aint it, that means so long as I keep away from puddles the AEM would be ok.

So thats means I could even find my car not vtecing as standard in similar conditions?
By youngsyp
TerryCTR wrote:^^ :D Well thats good then aint it, that means so long as I keep away from puddles the AEM would be ok.
Puddles that come up to the bottom of the door yes !!
TerryCTR wrote:So thats means I could even find my car not vtecing as standard in similar conditions?
I wouldn't have thought so :!: Due to where the OE air box takes it's air feed from and the fact that the AIT is better sealed on the OE air box piping, this shouldn't happen !

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]