The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Let it breathe...
By buckleyrs
Hi all

I really want to purchase a charger kit for my ep3 but I can't seem to find any one person that hasn't had a impeller shaft snap. This seems to be the norm with them and after one warranty they no longer cover them.

I know two people personally that have them and scrapped them due to reliability of them and converted to the turbo route.

Has anyone on here had one without any issues??

Ta
By rotrex_elise
This problem of snapping turbine drive shafts is pretty much limited to the C38 series of superchargers. Honda engines seem to have a rather abrupt rev limiter and see the limiter fairly often due to the levy nature of the engines. the rather large rotational inertia of the large C38 turbine wheel together with a missing chamfer on the shaft where it narrows to to mount the wheel causes this issue. Happened a chap I know twice on a SC F20C in a Caterham Seven.
Since fitting a C30-94 things are fine. While the first C38 already broke during a test drive on the road, the second one broke one a trackday I also participated and helped diagnosing the missing boost issue.

I used a C30-74 for 10 years and since 2 years a C30-94 without issues and have not heard of any C30-series shafts snapping.
On a F20C/F22C or K20 Honda engine I'd avoid the c38 series.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]