The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Let it breathe...
By Winker234
Hi there, recently bough an rbc manifold off a member on here. Just wondering if it would be worth getting a 70mm throttle body Then porting and polishing the manifold to suit before getting a k100 and going to tdi north for a remap? My car already has a 4-2-1 decat japapeed exhaust manifold and a hondata modded air box, switched the k&n typhoon for the hondata modded air box because the noise was annoying me when in 6th gear every day driving and also feels like I've gained some mid range power. Planning modifying the typhoon to have a different angle to suit the rbc and also to possible have a CAI and conical airbox. Constructive criticism and comments welcome, thanks!!
By Winker234
Thanks for the feedback, it's always been my plan to get a 70mm tb but recently I've been reading and haven't seen any real benefit. My thoughts were more air means more power but I think the standard tb has a pretty. Good flow rate as it is. But I do fancy a better induction system but don't want to shell out hundreds of moola for one! Think il modify the k&n typhoon, don't know if anyone has done this before so if anyone has please let me know!
By *nub*
Winker234 wrote:Thanks for the feedback, it's always been my plan to get a 70mm tb but recently I've been reading and haven't seen any real benefit. My thoughts were more air means more power but I think the standard tb has a pretty. Good flow rate as it is. But I do fancy a better induction system but don't want to shell out hundreds of moola for one! Think il modify the k&n typhoon, don't know if anyone has done this before so if anyone has please let me know!
what bhp are you looking to achieve? there is a benefit but it will be a few bhp maximum so IMO only worthwhile if you're chasing a particular high figure, say 250bhp. Even so, each other aspect of your system needs to be free flowing and non restrictive. i.e a 70mm rbc and tb might give you 3 bhp over a non ported but then you might then lose that 3bhp in a restrictive b pipe or something else. I presume you're not going run the standard cat back? (you didnt mention having an aftermarket one?). I really don't think theres any point going for 70mm RBC if you're only using a hondata modded airbox.

I personally don't like the idea of a K&N Typhoon with the potential for heatsoak when stationary and at low speed however I believe Paul @ TDi has said this is irrelevant as it will make good power on the dyno and when moving and the tubing is wide enough for goodair flow, in fact i'm pretty sure one of them got something like 256bhp with a Typhoon, although that is exceptionally high.
By Winker234
*nub* wrote:
Winker234 wrote:Thanks for the feedback, it's always been my plan to get a 70mm tb but recently I've been reading and haven't seen any real benefit. My thoughts were more air means more power but I think the standard tb has a pretty. Good flow rate as it is. But I do fancy a better induction system but don't want to shell out hundreds of moola for one! Think il modify the k&n typhoon, don't know if anyone has done this before so if anyone has please let me know!
what bhp are you looking to achieve? there is a benefit but it will be a few bhp maximum so IMO only worthwhile if you're chasing a particular high figure, say 250bhp. Even so, each other aspect of your system needs to be free flowing and non restrictive. i.e a 70mm rbc and tb might give you 3 bhp over a non ported but then you might then lose that 3bhp in a restrictive b pipe or something else. I presume you're not going run the standard cat back? (you didnt mention having an aftermarket one?). I really don't think theres any point going for 70mm RBC if you're only using a hondata modded airbox.

I personally don't like the idea of a K&N Typhoon with the potential for heatsoak when stationary and at low speed however I believe Paul @ TDi has said this is irrelevant as it will make good power on the dyno and when moving and the tubing is wide enough for goodair flow, in fact i'm pretty sure one of them got something like 256bhp with a Typhoon, although that is exceptionally high.
Wow that is a high figure. I have a custom catback fitted to my car with a japspeed
4-2-1 decat manifold. I don't think I'm going to bother with the 70mm tb as il be happy if my 106000M engine pulls a 240bhp on the dyno. I have my manifold in work at the moment and I'm doing some work on polishing the casting marks out of the airways. I have definitely noticed the power increase changing from the typhoon to the hondata mod, I do fancy having the typhoon back on but I want to customise it to have an airbox and CAI. Thanks for the reply.
By *nub*
Providing your cat bat is 2.5" or so 240+ is easily achievable with RBC and japspeed header as these are proven time and time again on here, 100k miles or not. Be careful about adding boxes and stuff as you can't predict how this will affect the power no matter what you think it feels like to drive. It would be a pity to have the induction kit let the rest of your system down so if it were me I'd stick with something tried and tested. Remapping is expensive and I'd wanna get it right first time.
By Winker234
*nub* wrote:Providing your cat bat is 2.5" or so 240+ is easily achievable with RBC and japspeed header as these are proven time and time again on here, 100k miles or not. Be careful about adding boxes and stuff as you can't predict how this will affect the power no matter what you think it feels like to drive. It would be a pity to have the induction kit let the rest of your system down so if it were me I'd stick with something tried and tested. Remapping is expensive and I'd wanna get it right first time.
Yeah my cat back is either 2.75 or 3"Yeah that's what I'm thinking do it properly and you only need to do it once, that's why I'm asking so many questions about it all, think il polish my rbc up, paint it then fit it and get the typhoon on it and save up and then get the k100 package from tdi north. I don't want to go mad with power, it's a 200ish hp front wheel drive car as it is! Just want to have some tasteful modifications fitted to it, So it's still worth some money a couple of years down the line. Need to fit. A lambda fooler to the post. Cat sensor as my EML is on! Going to buy an eBay obd2 code reader to diagnose any other faults the car has. Also I'm thinking of buying another used standard tb with sensors and then polishing and cleaning it up and having it fitted to the mani so it's basically a serviced tb onto a nice flowing manifold. I've not checked priced but I think they'd be much cheaper Than the 70mm tb. Thanks for your advice *nub*
By *nub*
Winker234 wrote:
*nub* wrote:Providing your cat bat is 2.5" or so 240+ is easily achievable with RBC and japspeed header as these are proven time and time again on here, 100k miles or not. Be careful about adding boxes and stuff as you can't predict how this will affect the power no matter what you think it feels like to drive. It would be a pity to have the induction kit let the rest of your system down so if it were me I'd stick with something tried and tested. Remapping is expensive and I'd wanna get it right first time.
Yeah my cat back is either 2.75 or 3"Yeah that's what I'm thinking do it properly and you only need to do it once, that's why I'm asking so many questions about it all, think il polish my rbc up, paint it then fit it and get the typhoon on it and save up and then get the k100 package from tdi north. I don't want to go mad with power, it's a 200ish hp front wheel drive car as it is! Just want to have some tasteful modifications fitted to it, So it's still worth some money a couple of years down the line. Need to fit. A lambda fooler to the post. Cat sensor as my EML is on! Going to buy an eBay obd2 code reader to diagnose any other faults the car has. Also I'm thinking of buying another used standard tb with sensors and then polishing and cleaning it up and having it fitted to the mani so it's basically a serviced tb onto a nice flowing manifold. I've not checked priced but I think they'd be much cheaper Than the 70mm tb. Thanks for your advice *nub*
2.75" or 3" is going get even better gains. I'd have waited for some cheaper second hand parts too but I was kinda in a rush, wanted to get it all done quickly once I started spending money so went with standard TB and RBC. If I had more patience i'd have got a 70mm TB with skunk2/RBC and got a 2.75" custom cat back done. still made 245bhp & 175lbfts torque though so it's all good.

dunno if this is still for sale?

http://civictype-r.co.uk/forum/viewtopi ... 4&t=277241
By Winker234
ImageImageImage

That's what I've done to the manifold so far, don't have any long shanked bits so can't get right into the airways but I've done what I can. Might not make a difference but I've done it. I've also keyed up the outside for painting, not sure on colour. Going to paint my evo 8 wheels candy purple so will possibly get another rocker cover and paint it the same or refurb one Matt red and paint the manifold purple or paint the manifold cosmic grey Open to colour suggestions.
By Winker234
*nub* wrote:
Winker234 wrote:
2.75" or 3" is going get even better gains. I'd have waited for some cheaper second hand parts too but I was kinda in a rush, wanted to get it all done quickly once I started spending money so went with standard TB and RBC. If I had more patience i'd have got a 70mm TB with skunk2/RBC and got a 2.75" custom cat back done. still made 245bhp & 175lbfts torque though so it's all good.

dunno if this is still for sale?

http://civictype-r.co.uk/forum/viewtopi ... 4&t=277241
I posted in the thread but no reply yet. Think I'm just going to keep the standard tb on, but I want a 2nd hand one with sensors so I can clean it up and fit it all as one. So if you know anyone breaking a k20 motor il have that! What are the mods to your car, have you got any pictures of yours? How is the midrange power now you have rbc and remap?
By *nub*
I've got lots of mods, don't have a build thread though. As stated earlier, engine-wise i've got non ported RBC, tegiwa induction kit, Supersprint 4-1 Manifold/Header and then a custom 2.5" b pipe connected to a GReddy EVO TT backbox (got the original 2.75" b pipe in garage but it hangs too low lol)
I've never really utilised mid range even before getting full exhaust and remapped, i'm always either cruising in 6th or dropping down gear to overtake (even if it's not necessary) so I couldn't really tell you the difference as its not something I focus on. thats what most people talk about though, the mid range power or whatever and they're probably right.
By Winker234
*nub* wrote:I've got lots of mods, don't have a build thread though. As stated earlier, engine-wise i've got non ported RBC, tegiwa induction kit, Supersprint 4-1 Manifold/Header and then a custom 2.5" b pipe connected to a GReddy EVO TT backbox (got the original 2.75" b pipe in garage but it hangs too low lol)
I've never really utilised mid range even before getting full exhaust and remapped, i'm always either cruising in 6th or dropping down gear to overtake (even if it's not necessary) so I couldn't really tell you the difference as its not something I focus on. thats what most people talk about though, the mid range power or whatever and they're probably right.
I'm just sick of having to change down gears every time I see a hill! Haha what is it you have, a k100 or kpro? Aye you've occasionally got to be in between 2nd 3rd and 4th in 60! Hopefully this thread will shed some light on anyone else who's looking into getting a 70mm throttle body. This tegiwa induction kit is it the copy of the gruppe m? Id like to get one but they're just far too expensive!
By *nub*
I have k100, there is no need to spend the extra cash on Kpro. yeah Tegiwa is £300 or so? Or you could consider an AEM CAI or in particular the Injen CAI they do a 76mm diameter or something is supposed to give gains equal to or even better than Tegiwa M. I think CPL racing do it. I would go for that but look into the risk of hydrolocking.

http://www.funkypower.co.uk/catalogue.p ... oduct=2198
By Winker234
*nub* wrote:I have k100, there is no need to spend the extra cash on Kpro. yeah Tegiwa is £300 or so? Or you could consider an AEM CAI or in particular the Injen CAI they do a 76mm diameter or something is supposed to give gains equal to or even better than Tegiwa M. I think CPL racing do it. I would go for that but look into the risk of hydrolocking.

http://www.funkypower.co.uk/catalogue.p ... oduct=2198
Where I live (Fort William) it rains a lot! So I don't really like the idea of having an open filter in a place where water can easily get to it, I could fabricate something up in work as a splash guard for my k&n. I've just ordered a ramair filter for my typhoon as my k&n is full of dirt and stones thinking about getting a hydro sock cover thing for it. Yeah I want to go for k100 not only because I'm tighter than a ducks arse but I just don't see the real benefit of having a k-pro, in not going to fanny about with my car like that! I've also just paid for a short shifter! :) getting a lot of things coming in for my car recently! Just need a new wing, boot lid and back bumper in NHB! But that'll be in a few months. Might even get it re sprayed!
By Lyall
It's fully worth it if you want a nice smooth airflow , thus giving a smoother map and more power as your getting more air. It made the difference on my map!
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]