The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Let it breathe...
By godfridge
I will be mapping with hondata mod soon. No bothering with rbc, abut will be using a dc5 cat. interested to see my results and have piece of mind over the decat / insurance worrys.
//
Been quoted 800 max for kpro supplied fitted mapped with sitech racing in fife
By godfridge
Scottlaw777 wrote:Just recently changed my typhoon and modded my air box ! Also fitted a k&n oem filter! ImageImageImage
Get some silicone air feed on eBay it's great quality and cheap as chips
By Leejay-B
Anyone with results?

This air box runs higher power on Jdm cars so must be able to flow more air than standard uk car.

The filter and top of the box are as wide as the intake hose on the throttle body. Then with a gutted box the restriction which is a smaller diameter than elsewhere is the hose that draws air from near the battery area. Use a much wider flexi hose from the front of the car and maybe it can flow as much air as other aftermarket intakes?

Spoon use this and are well regarded.
By Leejay-B
Lewisgame wrote:The reason Spoon and some other tuners use the standard air box is because of race regulations that doesn't allow you to use aftermarket induction kits
Ah ok didn't realise.

Something I don't understand is if the tegiwa or gruppe m work then the hondata with a huge intake hose could?

My theory is that teg or gruppe m have a filter, then a large box, and then a large opening to take air in. So the oem hondata modded box being opened up, with a large air feed could work the same- ie. filter, large box, large intake hose?

What restricts this compared to aftermarket? Is it the longer zig zag route of the oem box going back on itself?
By wHAmEz
Interesting.... Still no solid answer on this then. Would be nice to see car pushing about 250bhp have it's intake swapped to the Hondata and dyno'd again to see the loss/gains
By Lewisgame
The pathway for the air with the standard air box isn't very straight. Air enters from the front, then has to do a u-turn back towards the engine. Compare it to the Injen or GruppeM, the biggest angle may only be 90°. There's also factors like the air filter shape and design that affects air flow. It'll be at high RPM where the standard box will cause restrictions. At lower RPM the difference in power will be minimal.
By Leejay-B
I see what you mean. I guess when you start trying to flow maximum air at 6000 - 8000 rpm the easier path makes more of a difference.

I do wonder if you maxed out the potential of the standard box with the biggest intake hose possible, and the hondata stripped internals, what the measured difference would be, but only a dyno comparison would do that.

The decent aftermarket kits are less restrictive, I suppose its rare that someone uses bolt ons and a remap, but leaves the standard airbox on.
By pulpmelon_r
Improvements on the intake side come from re-enforcing the standing pressure waves that are created inside the intake manifold at WOT. This is tuned by intake diameter and length.

Spending hours cutting little pieces of plastic out of the air box is not going to increase the amplitude of the pressure waves at any given RPM/Frequency.
By Leejay-B
pulpmelon_r wrote:Improvements on the intake side come from re-enforcing the standing pressure waves that are created inside the intake manifold at WOT. This is tuned by intake diameter and length.

Spending hours cutting little pieces of plastic out of the air box is not going to increase the amplitude of the pressure waves at any given RPM/Frequency.
I would say that sounds logical... If I had a clue what it all meant, anywhere good that I can use to read up on this, or is there a way of explaining this in more basic terms?
By Leejay-B
*nub* wrote:Burridge get a tegiwa if you don't already have one and stop thinking about this ! [emoji30]
lol got one and also have solid fab mani, sports cat, plus tegiwa cat back exhaust and mapped K100!

Just like research / learning about the car, and am always thinking about other setups.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]