The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Let it breathe...
By jameso89
Hey guys,

Just wondering if the Gruppe M has any power limitations? I'm going to be running circa 380bhp (hopefully) with a Rotrex kit and wanted to keep my Gruppe M as the air intake, not just bacause it looks nice but because I thought it would provide the best gains? Is this correct?

I have heard a few people say that I should do away with it and get an open cone as the air is going to be intercooled anyway?

Thoughts?

(oh and some people have said it wont fit with the bottom mount Rotrex kit but I've got it to fit nice and snug :-D )
By dent-remover
380! im bringing mine when you get yours mapped!
was talking to a tuner the other day and they said you can open the back of the gm (put a hole in it) to draw more air... would prob work! or i could make you a double size dent remover scoop! boom i got an idea!

what about velocity stack setup
By jreedy
doug2507 wrote:Been advised by my future engine builder that the G.M will be restrivtive for 280bhp+ N/A so can't see it being up to the job for your needs.
Loads of people pushing 300+ with jrsc'd ep3's use gruppe m's,

Can't see them being restrictive for a 280+ NA build.
By Liam Type-R
Is the casing of a gruppem as free flowing as an open cone filter? I suppose it isn't thinking about it, plus if it getting the FMIC then i would go open con. IMO, as i have not scientifically tested this myself with the same dyno on the same day in the same conditions with the same tuner doing them both at the same time....
By jameso89
Liam Type-R wrote:Is the casing of a gruppem as free flowing as an open cone filter? I suppose it isn't thinking about it, plus if it getting the FMIC then i would go open con. IMO, as i have not scientifically tested this myself with the same dyno on the same day in the same conditions with the same tuner doing them both at the same time....
Possibly would be an idea to open the back of the gruppe m up? However, is this really worthwhile when I could just sell it for £400??? Hmmmmm..... decisions! I love my Gruppe m and really didnt want to lose it! However, can someone explain to me exactly what velocity stacks do and the set up of them?
By doug2507
Sucks in more air y0!

Easy to do. Need a few inches of 76mm silicone hose, 3.5" to 3" reducer, 2x 45 deg aluminium 3.5" elbows, BPI velocity stack or equivalent, K&N filer, 3x 3.5" silicone couplers and a few jubilee clips. Most of which can be had from Demon Tweeks/eBay. I'll pm you details later if you want as i've just bought all the bits and will be fitting it tomorrow. I'll post pics on my build thread once done.

Plenty of info on velocity stacks on the net, loads of dyno testing over on K20a.org and Pulpmelon_R's (Phill) put up some info in the dyno section of his experiments with it.
By jameso89
doug2507 wrote:Sucks in more air y0!

Easy to do. Need a few inches of 76mm silicone hose, 3.5" to 3" reducer, 2x 45 deg aluminium 3.5" elbows, BPI velocity stack or equivalent, K&N filer, 3x 3.5" silicone couplers and a few jubilee clips. Most of which can be had from Demon Tweeks/eBay. I'll pm you details later if you want as i've just bought all the bits and will be fitting it tomorrow. I'll post pics on my build thread once done.

Plenty of info on velocity stacks on the net, loads of dyno testing over on K20a.org and Pulpmelon_R's (Phill) put up some info in the dyno section of his experiments with it.
This would be awesome mate! Pm me details if you can or just put in this thread for everyone info [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]

Anyone used an ARC intake and are these also restrictive past certain BHP figures??
By jameso89
J@mez wrote:ARC's aren't restrictive - they also have velocity stacks inside them.
This is great to know, thanks James.

The hunt continues for an ARC!!! :-D
By jymmm
Arc is such a basic design made of cheap parts. Surprised no one has developed their own version of it
By jameso89
J@mez wrote:Or just import a brand new one from Japan through me :lol:
Pm'd [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]
By Liam Type-R
jameso89 wrote:
Liam Type-R wrote:Is the casing of a gruppem as free flowing as an open cone filter? I suppose it isn't thinking about it, plus if it getting the FMIC then i would go open con. IMO, as i have not scientifically tested this myself with the same dyno on the same day in the same conditions with the same tuner doing them both at the same time....
Possibly would be an idea to open the back of the gruppe m up? However, is this really worthwhile when I could just sell it for £400??? Hmmmmm..... decisions! I love my Gruppe m and really didnt want to lose it! However, can someone explain to me exactly what velocity stacks do and the set up of them?
Or just remove the casing completely? lol
By Bankzi
Bringing up an old thread but cant find anything on search. I plan to Rotrex and currently have teg m, can it be used with a bottom mount Rotrex? is it too restrictive? Just not keen on the positioning of the open cone behind front bumper
By *nub*
Ultimately a true CAI, with the largest filter and diameter as possible should provide more gains. Not to say that teg M wouldn't make decent power.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]