The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Let it breathe...
By Kyle_d
Haha. I dont get to rally my car all over anyway too many cameras and traffic lights so wunt b arsed abt a little bit of a loss.. Jus dnt wnt to damage my engine..

Any idea on a good price for a second hand one?
By Chris-EP3
Average price is about £150+ from what I've seen on eBay

Some come up cheaper but sell instantly

I took my V2 off and my civics not the same anymore, the kit made such a good noise :(
By cosmicmarc
NHB_EP3_Chris wrote:
samaj wrote:Just did my awap from AEM V2 to Stock airbox with the Hondata mod + K&N filter.
Amazing difference..........revs faster & much smoother overall. Great mod for almost nothing.
I've been thinking about reverting to this setup, but having never owned the standard airbox I'm unsure if it will be an improvement or not to be honest. I know everyone has their own views but I love the sound of an open cone on VTEC. It's just a shame its so bloody difficult to get an effective cold air feed to them without cutting big holes in the bodywork.

Check my thread mate in this topic forum, if you have a facelift by anychance I have had made fog light fit cold air feed ducts
By Bankzi
Just fitted my AEM, must be the v1 as its definitely not the v2 but mine still sits in the engine bay not in the wheel arch. Sounds F`ing awesome and throttle response is slightly sharper too, Pics to follow :cool:
By Kyle_d
With it being a shiny pipe i cant tell, does it start around 2.5" wide near the inlet then half way up have a big weld and change to a 3.5" pipe? Hence the 'dual chamber' that the V2 has, if not its a short ram.

The V1 / CAI sits near the wheel arch and you cant see the cone without really looking.

Edit - with closer inspection, looks like a short ram.
By t-one234
hmmm

after reading this, im going to buy a teg m

atleast then, i will have the OEM box, a v2 and a teg m for comparison

might well sell the V2 then, only just been put on by the cars previous owner lol
By Lewisgame
Just a thought on the whole heat soak thingy.

Stock airbox is black correct? Basic physics, school level, Black material absorbs heat more than lighter colours. Easy problem to solve though. Steal your mums roll of tin foil and wrap it up. (Don't expect dinner that evening mind!)

As for under bonnet temps. At slow speeds yes it's going get pretty darn hot. At higher speeds, you'd be surprised how cool it'll be. Afterall, there's some pretty large holes in the front of the car and if you look behind the engine, you can see the road. It's not a sealed bay.

Heatsoak will always be a problem. Once you've sat in traffic for 10 mins and everything gets super hot, that's it, game over. The effort required to then cool back down is going to be a lot! That's why some evo's, scoob's etc will have water jet sprays for the intercooler.

Poor performance, yea, I think Honda spent a fair bit of time and money to get the car to run at it's best with the equipment fitted. Stick a non restrictive/cone filter on, it's going to have to try and compensate within it's set parameters. Ideally it needs to be mapped for best gains. But the gains will only be a few bhp. Not really worth it.

Personally, If you car is highly modded and you rag it round track days, or you wanna impress the ladies with the induction roar doing prat laps of McDonald drive thru. Induction kits will be of benefit.
For everyday use, how Honda designed the car to be, OEM.
By godfridge
I've went from a AEM v2 to hondata with air feed to grill and it is a bit sharper and vtec pulls better, feels like it peaks a few hundred rpm less now I like this.
By GazEP3
Lewisgame wrote:Just a thought on the whole heat soak thingy.

Stock airbox is black correct? Basic physics, school level, Black material absorbs heat more than lighter colours. Easy problem to solve though. Steal your mums roll of tin foil and wrap it up. (Don't expect dinner that evening mind!)

As for under bonnet temps. At slow speeds yes it's going get pretty darn hot. At higher speeds, you'd be surprised how cool it'll be. Afterall, there's some pretty large holes in the front of the car and if you look behind the engine, you can see the road. It's not a sealed bay.

Heatsoak will always be a problem. Once you've sat in traffic for 10 mins and everything gets super hot, that's it, game over. The effort required to then cool back down is going to be a lot! That's why some evo's, scoob's etc will have water jet sprays for the intercooler.

Poor performance, yea, I think Honda spent a fair bit of time and money to get the car to run at it's best with the equipment fitted. Stick a non restrictive/cone filter on, it's going to have to try and compensate within it's set parameters. Ideally it needs to be mapped for best gains. But the gains will only be a few bhp. Not really worth it.

Personally, If you car is highly modded and you rag it round track days, or you wanna impress the ladies with the induction roar doing twit laps of McDonald drive thru. Induction kits will be of benefit.
For everyday use, how Honda designed the car to be, OEM.
The airbox may be black but it's thick enough to keep the air inside cool. Plastic is a medium to poor conductor of heat, hence why it is used for making airboxes. Unlike metal which is used in the AEM intakes which as we all know is an excellent heat conductor (touch your car's bodywork on a warm day)

My own personal experience....

I've had the AEM short ram in my last EP3 from the 2nd day I had it, so it wasn't until I went to sell the car and removed it that I fully appreciated how much better the standard airbox was (yeah sure it sounded epic with the AEM on) but acceleration is much smoother and crisper, only you don't get that enormous boom when the vtec kicks in!

With the AEM on, take the car for a good spirited drive and put your hand on the filter and it'll be quite warm, even the air around it will be quite warm. This is not in any way good for performance. In fact I doubt very much if you would gain anything at all from fitting one, possibly even lose a few ponies!

The verdict: Stick with the standard airbox if you like performance, if you wish to improve on it try the likes of the Hondata airbox mod. All an open cone filter and a big length of metal pipe is going to gain you is noise!! Lots and lots of noise!!! A chav in a shed is not going to beat Mr Honda and his massive R&D team [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]
By yella
GazEP3 wrote:
The verdict: Stick with the standard airbox if you like performance, if you wish to improve on it try the likes of the Hondata airbox mod. All an open cone filter and a big length of metal pipe is going to gain you is noise!! Lots and lots of noise!!! A chav in a shed is not going to beat Mr Honda and his massive R&D team [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]

Wrong! especially the last bit as some of those chavs are talented buggers

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]