The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Let it breathe...
By Stevo M81
aleung2 wrote:Hey Stevo, how does it compare to the Apollo? Much difference?
Hate to admit it but i noticed a big difference straight away when in vtec, pulled so much harder than the apollo. But saying that the apollo is a good kit for the money if you are on a budget as its the only one i know that doesnt suffer from the heat soak at that price of induction kit
By Stevo M81
epchop wrote:you got your sitting alot more flush than mine, tdi said the bracket holding it on was abit to short to it points slightly to the right to fit in the scuttle.

Is that duck tape on your scuttle panel, did you do it urself
By epchop
Is that duck tape on your scuttle panel, did you do it urself[/quote]

No, its the double sided tape you get with it with the velcro bit, TDI fitted it but they said the only problem they found with the kit is that the braket holding it is just a tiny bit too short, your scuttle may have been cut a tiny bit more to the left so it sit right as i used a premade scuttle from tdi which maybe the ones they use for the gruppe m
By Stevo M81
epchop wrote:Is that duck tape on your scuttle panel, did you do it urself
No, its the double sided tape you get with it with the velcro bit, TDI fitted it but they said the only problem they found with the kit is that the braket holding it is just a tiny bit too short, your scuttle may have been cut a tiny bit more to the left so it sit right as i used a premade scuttle from tdi which maybe the ones they use for the gruppe m[/quote]

Right i see what you mean now, just when i 1st looked at it i thought it was duck tape :lol:
I prefer the standard air box to open cone, having tried AEM CAI and in-engine bay cone - I must be getting old as I'm not a fan of the noise from an open cone, its great for the first few days but then gets quite irritating!!

I am by no means an expert on air induction or engine tuning for that matter but i though this was food for thought:

From the Spoon website "Spoon recommends that due to the design of the VTEC engine, the stock intake box be retained to maximize throttle response", also the Mugen intake systen is a variation of the standard intake box.

When Mugen and Spoon are doing the same with Honda tuning its worth taking notice!
By samaj
Just did my awap from AEM V2 to Stock airbox with the Hondata mod + K&N filter.
Amazing difference..........revs faster & much smoother overall. Great mod for almost nothing.
samaj wrote:Just did my awap from AEM V2 to Stock airbox with the Hondata mod + K&N filter.
Amazing difference..........revs faster & much smoother overall. Great mod for almost nothing.
I've been thinking about reverting to this setup, but having never owned the standard airbox I'm unsure if it will be an improvement or not to be honest. I know everyone has their own views but I love the sound of an open cone on VTEC. It's just a shame its so bloody difficult to get an effective cold air feed to them without cutting big holes in the bodywork.
By samaj
I had the AEM V2 installed when i bought my car. Its summer in Dubai not & temp reach 42-48 degree celcius plus a hige amout of dust where i work. The V2 is dug right inside the engibe bay with no headshield & no air feed. My reason for change was more of a necessity. But what a change in feel of the car.
:WOOT :WOOT
IMP CAI work only when the ambient temp are low. Anywhere where you have high temp. CAi wont work as good.

Next i have a Mugen plastic feeder that fits into the slot in the Mugen grill. Which will hopefuly feed air a lil faster that the side feed behind the stock grill. Cant wait.

BTW is all your are interested is in the growl of the open air filter. Dont expect it from this setup. The sound is so saft. I had to drive it for 2 days to convience myself that the VTEC is engaging.
williamkenny820 wrote:I prefer the standard air box to open cone, having tried AEM CAI and in-engine bay cone - I must be getting old as I'm not a fan of the noise from an open cone, its great for the first few days but then gets quite irritating!!

I am by no means an expert on air induction or engine tuning for that matter but i though this was food for thought:

From the Spoon website "Spoon recommends that due to the design of the VTEC engine, the stock intake box be retained to maximize throttle response", also the Mugen intake systen is a variation of the standard intake box.

When Mugen and Spoon are doing the same with Honda tuning its worth taking notice!

Very good point.
I have the AEM CAI but the previous owner cut the pipe so effectively i have a V2. Since owning the AEM i have noticed 3 things.

1-i use sh*tloads more petrol
2-it sounds awesome
3-throttle response on the whole is not as good as OEM

Its great fun dont get me wrong, but i cant honestly say ive noticed any gains at all. Like a few of guys in the thread have said, i too will b buying either a tegiwa or 2nd hand GM in rerplacement of the AEM.

My verdict - Great if you want to scare the shi*t out of old ladies, bad if your expecting any kind of gains at all!
By Mark EP3
Right reading all this sounds like when i had my lcr we all used the smooth airbox mod and 3" intake duct

but also looking at the Aem Cai this looks good ?? or do i go back to modding a airbox like in my seat ??

stuck in 2 minds now :scratch:
By zeboobel
ill chuck my 2 pence in-may be completely worthless though!

when i had my c20xe corsa, i was determined to keep it looking like it came out of the factory with the c20xe engine. so i retained the original airbox, and although it was a squeeze, i got it to fit. i removed a resonator and smoothed some of the airways, fitted a k&n panel filter.

before messing with the engine it made 157bhp.

i fitted a cone filter to improve the sound, and it sounded awesome. the next time i went to the same rollers, i was having some cams fitted an dialled in, and we ran a before test. 151bhp. cone filter equated to a 6 bhp loss. there may have been other variables to assist this, however 6bhp is still 6bhp. in the end i reverted back to my original choice, and stayed like that.
By gazmataz
hi there, i have an induction kit the same as the k&n typhoon but i have enclosed carbon fibre filter but open at one end, and it out performs the standard hondata box.... better acceleration,even at lower speeds.
By Kyle_d
Very interesting thread! I was close to getting aem v2 purely cos of the sound! As i'm keeping the exhaust system fully standard. I only want to do mods that are easy to change back when comes to selling the car... Now after reading this im well put off! Dont wanna be sucking in a load of hot air, losing power and responsiveness!

Soo.. Guess there's nothing i can do to make it sound better without decreasing the performance and value of the car? :-(

I cant see there being much difference in using an uprated panel filter either right?
By Chris-EP3
I've had an aem v2 and hondata airbox

According to my scanguage the air inlet temp of aem v2 stayed around 30degrees

Hondata airbox stays around 28degrees

I felt no power loss with the v2 fitted

The sound of it was awesome

I haven't read all 100+ posts, just my experience with both airboxes

Also takes 5 to 10mins to swap v2 to airbox, and visa versa

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]