The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Let it breathe...
By RoBMX
Very useful thread! Heated, but its all good info with other peoples experiences. I have a ctr with a k an n typhoon. I dont know if people can put aside their personal feelings about which is better but if I remove the typhoon and replace it with an aem v2 or the oem airbox with mod and replaced panel filter are they both likely to be better than the typhoon? And will the difference actually be noticable? Cheers.
By Rcb
I have had my Ep3 for the grand total of 2 days but i can say this

First day it was completely standard, enjoyable to drive but lacked the sound

Now it has the AEM v2, the sound is amazing which makes it 10 times more fun to drive, VTEC "seems" to be more agressive, which is a good thing.

End of the day, I know it probably makes not much difference, but how the car seems is surely the most important thing, so for the sake of £150 on my road car as long as it sounds good I don't mind !
By LouisQ
Rcb wrote:I have had my Ep3 for the grand total of 2 days but i can say this

First day it was completely standard, enjoyable to drive but lacked the sound

Now it has the AEM v2, the sound is amazing which makes it 10 times more fun to drive, VTEC "seems" to be more agressive, which is a good thing.

End of the day, I know it probably makes not much difference, but how the car seems is surely the most important thing, so for the sake of £150 on my road car as long as it sounds good I don't mind !
This is my first post on here but i couldnt agree with you more. Its about driver enjoyment. I bought my car with a 'quikshift' cone on it, (i know, oh dear) SO i set about the HondaData mod on the standard airbox i aquired, it took a while to do neatly but popped it all back together, took it for a drive and was nothing but dissapointed, the Vtec is not pronounced at all and all for the sake of a potential better pull at 7k, other than that, its no improvment,

Tomorrow i have got my brother coming over to run a series of tests with me as an individual non biased party as he is not the type to be influenced by sound so we shall she.

And just to add, anyone confused about the potential of heat soak should pick up a book on thermodynamics and also check out the vacuum effect...
By motty
you talk about a book on thermodynamics and the vacuum effect, but your going to do a series of tests by putting your bother in the car and driving down the road to see which is better lol? :scratch:
By LouisQ
A fair comment. The fact is i can see theoretical points for both forms of induction so it comes down to physical testing. I will be driving the car also, if i am happy the car performs well with the cone i will happily keep it and go about a means of emphasising its efficiency through heatshields etc. You will have to excuse any ignorance i am new to the Honda seen but have been building track cars for a fair few years so i am hoping to generalise previous findings which is not ideal hence the need for some fun spirited testing on the old Debach airfield :smile:

I'll post up my findings tomorrow, and please no negative comments, just trying to put down my view :wink:
By LouisQ
Well, after spending an hour or so trying various tests such as load testing and various gear accelerating i believe that from my view and understanding the standard box creates a more linear curve with a much smoother transistion into vtec but a potential need for more air at the high rpm.

Now, the cone filter first off offered no change in induction note untill 4k at WOT, Vtec transistion is harsh and clear, Gears all most certainly seem to run out quicker although i suspect this to be psychological due to the note in vtec being more distinct, no loss of power could be detected under load or at low rpm in lower gears, car felt responsive and crisp at the top end.

To conclude, i wouldnt say the cone provided a mass difference in performance but i would certainly say it improved the whole experience of driving a Honda Vtec which is ultimately why i bought the car, so for me and for now the induction stays :thumbup:

Once again this is just my feelings so keep your critism to yourself :wink:
By Stevo M81
LouisQ wrote:Well, after spending an hour or so trying various tests such as load testing and various gear accelerating i believe that from my view and understanding the standard box creates a more linear curve with a much smoother transistion into vtec but a potential need for more air at the high rpm.

Now, the cone filter first off offered no change in induction note untill 4k at WOT, Vtec transistion is harsh and clear, Gears all most certainly seem to run out quicker although i suspect this to be psychological due to the note in vtec being more distinct, no loss of power could be detected under load or at low rpm in lower gears, car felt responsive and crisp at the top end.

To conclude, i wouldnt say the cone provided a mass difference in performance but i would certainly say it improved the whole experience of driving a Honda Vtec which is ultimately why i bought the car, so for me and for now the induction stays :thumbup:

Once again this is just my feelings so keep your critism to yourself :wink:
New to the fourm then :lol: give it time and you will learn abit what is best for the CTR
By LouisQ
New to the forum yes, about to post up in the newbie section, certainly not new to n/a cars though. Although granted, my first Jap car :cool:

At no point did i say it was physically faster, I have no doubt that a decent enclosed setup is ultimately better but as stated, for now i am happy untill i address the situation with a better budget :thumbup:
By Stevo M81
LouisQ wrote:New to the forum yes, about to post up in the newbie section, certainly not new to n/a cars though. Although granted, my first Jap car :cool:

At no point did i say it was physically faster, I have no doubt that a decent enclosed setup is ultimately better but as stated, for now i am happy untill i address the situation with a better budget :thumbup:
Welcome then :thumbup: and good luck with the open cone kit wont be long before u have a enclosed one if you are on here long enough :smile:
By LouisQ
I agree, all my trackcars always had enclosed but i like to treat them all individually! I friend of mine owns frost motorsport so i'll spend some time on the rollers with a selection of filters in the next month and post up my findings, The hyper power rollers allow you to simulate the vacuum effect so it'll be as close to a definitive answer as can be :salut:
By Stevo M81
epchop wrote:wasnt that keen on my V2 apart from the noise :lol: replacing it this week with the tegiwa airbox :-D
You wont be disappointed, i just installed mine of Friday jus waiting for my scuttle back now

Last edited by Stevo M81 on Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Stevo M81
epchop wrote:looks good mate i bought the hose as well but didnt get the blowby hose supplied with mine :sad: taking it tdi on thursday for fitting because im a noob :lol:
I must admit i had help from Blunty installing mine, as i really didn't know were to start :lol: :-D
By bluntcap
epchop wrote:looks good mate i bought the hose as well but didnt get the blowby hose supplied with mine :sad: taking it tdi on thursday for fitting because im a noob :lol:
Fit yourself it's simple mate! We did a how to guide to help people.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]