The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Those round things that you roll on...
By b.j.harbon1
Hi people, thinking of upgrading my brakes and ideas and prices please just so I've got an idea? Cheers
By D4Z3D
Hiya,

If you are only using the car on the road then get a good set of fast road pads like cosworth streetmasters, ferrodo 2500, project Mu etc. Combine this with a fluid change (motul 600) and some goodrich braided lines and a tegiwa master cylinder brake stopper. This will basically max out the stock system and cost about £300, which is enough for road use definitely. IF you are tracking it then if you put your car on a diet (i.e. strip it out) you can get away with thew same set up). However if you are keeping your car heavy, or giving it big power, or taking passengers on track, then id recommend a big brake conversion. Some people do the conversion to DC5 brembos for about £1000 but they are hard to find. Stoptech do a 300mm touring kit for about £1100 which will have similar performance to the DC5 brembos, i think you can also get a k sport kit for about this price and they seem to do a decent job on a number of fast cars. There is also a bigger stoptech 328mm kit for about £1600. To get "better" brakes than this you are into AP's, etc which will be in excess of £2500.
By Danny_J
D4Z3D wrote:Hiya,

If you are only using the car on the road then get a good set of fast road pads like cosworth streetmasters, ferrodo 2500, project Mu etc. Combine this with a fluid change (motul 600) and some goodrich braided lines and a tegiwa master cylinder brake stopper. This will basically max out the stock system and cost about £300, which is enough for road use definitely. IF you are tracking it then if you put your car on a diet (i.e. strip it out) you can get away with thew same set up). However if you are keeping your car heavy, or giving it big power, or taking passengers on track, then id recommend a big brake conversion. Some people do the conversion to DC5 brembos for about £1000 but they are hard to find. Stoptech do a 300mm touring kit for about £1100 which will have similar performance to the DC5 brembos, i think you can also get a k sport kit for about this price and they seem to do a decent job on a number of fast cars. There is also a bigger stoptech 328mm kit for about £1600. To get "better" brakes than this you are into AP's, etc which will be in excess of £2500.
Are the APs regarded as better than stoptechs? I take it the 6 pot kit is the one to go for? I need a bbk for my car now as I've just gone Supercharged...
By Danny_J
FunkyRemix wrote:^ you would be fine with Stoptech but if your flush then AP 8-)
Ha i wouldn't say that! Are the AP 6 pots the best bbk you can get for EP3? I can get them for the same sort of price as Stoptechs retail for as i can get them through work. So was just wondering what the best off the shelf kit was and then i coukd see if i can source it :D
By *nub*
For the record, my fn2 is supercharged 340bhp and as a daily I don't feel I need to urgently upgrade the brakes. I do intend to get some spoons or brembos soon but I don't really put myself in a position where I need to brake sharply. I have ds2500 pads though
By Lewisgame
A lot depends on your driving style.
Big brake kits aren't worth it unless you get decent pads. Standard calipers with a high performance pad will be on par with a BBK with standard pads. For road use you'll never need a BBK.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]