The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Those round things that you roll on...
Hi, Im replacing my discs and pads this weekend, I'm going for Brembo Grooved Discs and some Mintex pads.

However, not sure what to do about fluid. Do I need to change it? and if so how much do I need?

Thanks
Found this on another forum:

'Braided competition brake hoses contain a Teflon hose (not rubber) which in itself is resistant to swelling. The braid is there to protect the hose from abrasion since Teflon is weak in this respect - it's not there to stop the swelling. I guess you could theoretically have braid over rubber hoses, but I've not seen any yet.

The use of braided brake hoses on road cars is contentious. For competition use there's little argument, but for road cars covering thousands of miles between brake system inspections coupled with much larger wheel movements than is found in most motorsport situations, braided hoses can cause problems, and failures when they do occur tend to be dramatic unlike the more gradual decay of standard rubber hoses found in road cars.

Braided brake hoses on a road car aren't the fit and forget items that OE hoses are. I certainly wouldn't categorically call them safer.'

I've never had braided before so I cant say if its worth it, but I think i'll stick with OEM hoses. :think:
Only thing I'd add to this is that for day to day use under normal road conditions, the service interval on the RBF600 fluid is 1-2 years just like the DOT 4 that your car left the factory with. If you are a track day regular you are best leaning towards an annual change rather than Bi-Annual. The 4-6 month thing is overkill. Dot 3/4 and 5.1 are all hygroscopic. If anything, 5.1 breaks down quicker than 4.
DIXCEL was mentioned in the first post so I thought I would mention we are the now the EU distributor so drop us a PM if you are looking for discs and pads.

Regarding brake fluid, DIXCEL highly recommend a bleed of the brakes much more regularly. As often as between tack days. I personally do anyway as part of the maintenance schedule.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]