The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Those round things that you roll on...
By mat
my friend had EBC grooved discs and greenstuff pads on his ST200, on a spirited drive the rear discs died... it looked as if the pads had gripped the disc so hard they tore the edge of the disc away from the 'bell' part... not good.

mat.
By J
Z3D wrote:Guys changed my pads and discs 3 weeks ago, orginal honda parts

brakes now feel soft and spongey

do you know why this could be?

could it be the brake fluid?
Bleed the brakes.
Hi guys,

I am going to be having ferodo ds2500 pads put on the front of my type r, along with the goodridge hoses as recommended. I will be keeping the standard discs. Will I notice a big difference in braking from just doing this little upgrade?

Thanks.
MrCraigBerry wrote:Hi guys,

I am going to be having ferodo ds2500 pads put on the front of my type r, along with the goodridge hoses as recommended. I will be keeping the standard discs. Will I notice a big difference in braking from just doing this little upgrade?

Thanks.
As that's exactly whats suggested in this thread then Id say yes you will.......its worth changing the fluid to whats recommended on here as well.
MrCraigBerry wrote:Has anybody actually done this upgrade though, and can tell me what it is like in relation to standard discs pads and fluid?
:lol: You think Evilowl wrote this thread and made it a sticky and never even tried it to see if it works :lol: Also alot of members run the set up and it works 100 times better then any other set up bar a big brake kit.
By TiVoMD
Regarding your info on fluid options:-
evilowl wrote:For road use only, a decent DOT5.1 fluid such as AP, Castrol, Motul will be fine and will not fade on road in anything other than exceptional circumstances.

Positives: It will only require changing at regular servicing intervals, has a relatively high boiling point, not as expensive as a decent racing fluid
Negatives: Can compress under high temperatures leading to spongy brakes

For road and regular track use you should look at a decent DOT4 with a high boiling point such as Motul RBF600 or Castrol SRF.

Positives: Very high boiling point, so fade is kept at bay
Negatives: RBF600 is expensive at £15 per 500ml (you need 3 of them for a fluid change), has to be changed regularly (around every 4 - 6 months) as it absorbs moisture, and changed if you boil it.
Hi, I'm hoping to get a track day in this year and hopefully twice a year from then on. I don't do that many miles normally (~6k a year) so when you say you have to change the RBF600 fluid every 4 - 6 months, is this ALL DOT4 fluids.

If so, I'm looking towards Motul DOT 4 brake fluid 100% synthetic. What do you think? As I can afford to change this fluid every 6 months. :-)

Also, Why is Silkolene PRO RACE 2000 High Boiling Point Competition Brake Fluid more expensive than RBF600 when RBF600 seems better!

Thanks.
Last edited by TiVoMD on Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
TiVoMD wrote:when you say you have to change the RBF600 fluid every 4 - 6 months, is this ALL DOT4 fluids.
Yes, glycol based fluids are hygroscopic and will allow moisture into the system, over time the boiling point will be reduced
TiVoMD wrote:If so, I'm looking towards Motul DOT 4 brake fluid 100% synthetic. What do you think? As I can afford to change this fluid every 6 months. :-).
Try it and see how you get on, if you boil the fluid then get better stuff next time round
By kingz
evilowl wrote:
TiVoMD wrote:when you say you have to change the RBF600 fluid every 4 - 6 months, is this ALL DOT4 fluids.
Yes, glycol based fluids are hygroscopic and will allow moisture into the system, over time the boiling point will be reduced
TiVoMD wrote:If so, I'm looking towards Motul DOT 4 brake fluid 100% synthetic. What do you think? As I can afford to change this fluid every 6 months. :-).
Try it and see how you get on, if you boil the fluid then get better stuff next time round
hi owl, is the halfords dot5.1 ok?or should i get dot4? and how much will be needed.. as i am getting front pads and disks and brakelines fitted. and i will be getting the brakes bleeded

i have ordered some ferodo ds2500 front pads, bought some do luck brakelines, and front mintex discs. so just waiting for ds2500 to be delivered..

also i noticed today when i reversed it was making a funny squeaking noise bought rear discs in may09 and as far as im aware the rear pads looked pretty new and still new from when i looked at them when i got new tyres put on a few weeks ago..

also for some reason when i drive over 55-60mph and i press the brakes the car seems to pull to the left any ideas what it could be?or is it a case front passenger side pad is worn down more?

sorry for all the questions :thumbup:
hope u can help as im worried why its pulling to the left. as it doesnt do it when im driving at below 50mph and anything over this it does..?
Yo I've been trying to get hold of Ferodo brake pads for front and rear, OEM disks, dot5.1 brake fluid and Goodridge brake lines. Where is the best place to get these items? I've tried searching for them and my result is unit 8 for everything else part from oem disks. Oem disks i assume i got to honda direct for these?

AP Racing 551 DOT 5.1 Brake Fluid
£7.50
Ferodo DS2500 Front Brake Pads EP3
£76.59
Ferodo DS2500 Rear Brake Pads EP3
£70.20
Goodridge Braided Stainless Brake Hose Kit - Stainless Fittings EP3
£76.00
Subtotal £230.29
VAT £34.55
Total £264.84

From unit 8 so far, good price or bad? can get free delivery as well.

Thanks,

Ryan
By kingz
ryanthetriad wrote:Yo I've been trying to get hold of Ferodo brake pads for front and rear, OEM disks, dot5.1 brake fluid and Goodridge brake lines. Where is the best place to get these items? I've tried searching for them and my result is unit 8 for everything else part from oem disks. Oem disks i assume i got to honda direct for these?

£7.50
£76.59
£70.20
£76.00
Subtotal £230.29
VAT £34.55
Total £264.84

Thanks,

Ryan
ds2500 front pads including vat delivery = 96.50 quid unit 8 as i rang them when i ordered mine a few days ago...
your best off going to asptrading.co.uk 90 quid all in delivered. check with them regarding rear pads im sure they cheaper than the amount u got above.

and got my pads delivered the next day, spoke to a guy called allan very helpful.

braided hoses go to sumopower.com as i got mine as a group buy but theyll cost u about 63 odd quid all in with delivery which is cheaper than goodridge..

and they in a cool purple colour...
i think unit 8 a bit expensive like...
kingz wrote:
ryanthetriad wrote:Yo I've been trying to get hold of Ferodo brake pads for front and rear, OEM disks, dot5.1 brake fluid and Goodridge brake lines. Where is the best place to get these items? I've tried searching for them and my result is unit 8 for everything else part from oem disks. Oem disks i assume i got to honda direct for these?

£7.50
£76.59
£70.20
£76.00
Subtotal £230.29
VAT £34.55
Total £264.84

Thanks,

Ryan
ds2500 front pads including vat delivery = 96.50 quid unit 8 as i rang them when i ordered mine a few days ago...
your best off going to asptrading.co.uk 90 quid all in delivered. check with them regarding rear pads im sure they cheaper than the amount u got above.

and got my pads delivered the next day, spoke to a guy called allan very helpful.

braided hoses go to sumopower.com as i got mine as a group buy but theyll cost u about 63 odd quid all in with delivery which is cheaper than goodridge..

and they in a cool purple colour...
i think unit 8 a bit expensive like...
I assume you called the guy direct and did payment through on-line, because that site is so crap, you can't even view the basket to pay etc. However price is reasonable so pays off. Thanks anyway dude.
By kingz
yes i just rang them plus they were cheaper than unit 8

i didnt buy it off the net..just spoke to them and gave dets reg payment card etc.

just thought id let u know plus i received my ds2500 the next day...
kingz wrote:yes i just rang them plus they were cheaper than unit 8

i didnt buy it off the net..just spoke to them and gave dets reg payment card etc.

just thought id let u know plus i received my ds2500 the next day...
Nice, might order a set, im not sure whether to get ds2500 or ebc yellow stuff. :scratch:
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]