The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Those round things that you roll on...
By Random Man
Random Man wrote:I've just got a set of ds2500 pads on the front and standard Honda on the back today. I've followed the procedure for non-track bedding-in but after i left it to rest and had a go, there was a definate squeak when pulling up to stop. As yet, i've only been gentle on them and haven't got around to the hammering part.

Is this normal and likely to go or is that it for those pads and I'm now a life resident of Squeaksville? Has anyone got any further advice? Maybe give it a hundred miles of only gentle braking or get some of this copper grease stuff?

Is it something a rest overnight will sort? Actually, don't answer that - that's a stupid question as I'll find out myself before anyone answers. :wink:
I've been a bit lax in checking the forum. Here's an update on my experiences for noobs like I was (and probably still am) considering these brakes.

Anyway, i've done about 20k miles on these pads and they rarely squeak now. I did have to change my braking style though. Originally I was very light on the brakes all the time and the squeaks happened at low-speed rolling with a bit of brake on (like stop-start traffic in rush-hour town centre driving or slow queues on the motorway). If I broke more firmly the squeaking wasn't a problem. It was quite tricky getting the hang of braking firmly and still stopping smoothly without upsetting passengers. Looking back, I'm wondering if that was down to having ferodos on the front and oem on the back. I dunno.

I've not heard anything from them in a while.
By Leoni
I've done about 2000 miles on mine now. I followed the bedding in proceedure and they were silent for the first 1000miles or so... now they have become little 'banshees' in traffic.... but nothing the stereo cant fix :)

Excellent pads, as they get warmer they work even better and dont fade when pushed. Not tried them on the track yet though! Great improvement over OEM :cool:

P.S: Got hoses and fluid upgraded at same time.
By R. Castro
im assuming the bedding procedure is the same for all the brake pads (having minor differences on the times you've got to do it) ???
I bouthgt some EBC redstuff and i am going to fitt them tomorrow. I was wondering if i can apply this procedure to these brake pads?
By DROXxX EP3
OEM shims are fine btw

and the ferrodo's are pre bedded, so only need a small amount of bedding in time, where as others u buy have had no bedding in, so will take longer :thumbup:
By Jalapeno
DROXxX EP3 wrote:OEM shims are fine btw

and the ferrodo's are pre bedded, so only need a small amount of bedding in time, where as others u buy have had no bedding in, so will take longer :thumbup:

Useful to know that it's already pre-bedded, had no idea :scratch:
By ctr_boi
ep3petey wrote:DS2500 are NOT ment to be fitted with the O.E shims, this can lead to the pads being too tight in the caliper and therefore binding. They will also smell of burning for the first few big brake applications this is just the compound that binds the material together burning off and is normal on this sort of race pad. Being made of the sort of material they are made of means that these pads will squeel as noise was not a primary concern when they were desgined, copper grease is still a good idea to aid movement and instalation.

I have had a few sets on various cars now and find the DS2500 to be a great all round pad for fast road driving!

So the shims are definately fine then if i was to upgrade to the ds2500? As my front brakes are gone! so i need to change them asap. And i really only use the car for road use with the odd track days here and there, are they really worth upgrading or should i just get oem pads?
By bluntcap
ctr_boi wrote:
ep3petey wrote:DS2500 are NOT ment to be fitted with the O.E shims, this can lead to the pads being too tight in the caliper and therefore binding. They will also smell of burning for the first few big brake applications this is just the compound that binds the material together burning off and is normal on this sort of race pad. Being made of the sort of material they are made of means that these pads will squeel as noise was not a primary concern when they were desgined, copper grease is still a good idea to aid movement and instalation.

I have had a few sets on various cars now and find the DS2500 to be a great all round pad for fast road driving!

So the shims are definately fine then if i was to upgrade to the ds2500? As my front brakes are gone! so i need to change them asap. And i really only use the car for road use with the odd track days here and there, are they really worth upgrading or should i just get oem pads?
Its wirth upgradeing mate, I dont do track days and I have them :thumbup:
By rooneypies99
bluntcap wrote:
ctr_boi wrote:

Bit confused on the shim issue, lots of people saying OE shims are fine with the Ferodo's & some people disagreeing. Surely a shim is a shim? Or is it a case of getting bigger ones or ones made from different material? Any suggestions where you would buy aftermarket shims?
By bluntcap
rooneypies99 wrote:
bluntcap wrote:
ctr_boi wrote:

Bit confused on the shim issue, lots of people saying OE shims are fine with the Ferodo's & some people disagreeing. Surely a shim is a shim? Or is it a case of getting bigger ones or ones made from different material? Any suggestions where you would buy aftermarket shims?
I didn't change my shims and Ive had no issues at all, mind you I am changing my ds2500 pads as I haven't warmed to them at all.

You'll find that some people on here go the extra 10 miles in modding, even though some of the stuff they do is not necessary they still do it.
By Martin_Hx
Will try this bedding in when i get mine. As for people saying they are pre bedded does this mean the 25 - 30 stops wont be needed and just to take it easy for a bit at first ? :scratch:

Anyway to tell if the pads come pre bedded if it says nothing on the box on buff that comes with it ?
By nath4speed
Is there much i can do if i was a bit of a noob and didnt bed mine in properly and now theyre squealing like a bitch?
By Martin_Hx
nath4speed wrote:Is there much i can do if i was a bit of a noob and didnt bed mine in properly and now theyre squealing like a bitch?
How did you bed yours in ? Mine squeel a little when cold for about 5 mins but fine after that
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]