The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Those round things that you roll on...
By evilowl
As we seem to have lots of people moaning about squeaky brakes, the normal cause is incorrectly bedding them in after fitting. This must be followed to get the best life, the best performance and least squeal from your new pads.

As soon as they have been fitted go and find some quiet country lanes, you don't want to be doing brake tests with other traffic about.
Ferodo wrote: BEDDING-IN INSTRUCTIONS
To achieve optimum performance from Ferodo Racing brake pads please follow the instructions below:

1) Perform 25 to 30 trial brake applications, each of approximately 4 seconds, using around 50% of normal race pedal pressure. To shorten the procedure applications can be made along the straights as well as through bends.

2) On completion of trial applications return to the pit lane. Inspect the surface of the brake pads from the two wheels which have been working the hardest. There should be evidence of contact over the full pad area but without glazing. The pads are now ready to race.

Whilst we recommend that pads are inspected, if time does not allow this, assuming procedure (1) has been carried out and a short period of time has elapsed to allow the brake system to cool, the pads will be ready to race.

IMPORTANT: to optimize the performance and life of both brake pads and discs, during the bedding-in period heat in the braking system should be built up progressively.

PAD WEAR INSPECTION: brake pads must have at least 2mm of friction material. Excessively worn brake pads must be replaced.

THERMAL PAINT TEMPERATURE CHECK; Where this procedure is used and braking performance is not considered satisfactory: if none of the 3 paints has changed appearance it may be necessary to reduce cooling to the discs. If all 3 paints have changed appearance, it may be necessary to increase cooling to the discs.
As these are instructions for bedding them in on a racetrack, on the road build your speed up to around 50 or 60 mph and (check your mirrors first obviously) gently apply the brakes for around 4 seconds instead. Get the car back up to 50 or 60 and do it again, and keep doing it until you get through all 25 or 30 cycles. Remember it's not rapid acceleration and deceleration you need, just build heat into the brakes steadily. Park up for a bit and let them cool down for 10 minutes, Then you can go out and give them a good hammering :thumbup:
By dnz 21
ill put that into practice on wed when i get my new set up fitted :thumbup:
By Random Man
I've just got a set of ds2500 pads on the front and standard Honda on the back today. I've followed the procedure for non-track bedding-in but after i left it to rest and had a go, there was a definate squeak when pulling up to stop. As yet, i've only been gentle on them and haven't got around to the hammering part.

Is this normal and likely to go or is that it for those pads and I'm now a life resident of Squeaksville? Has anyone got any further advice? Maybe give it a hundred miles of only gentle braking or get some of this copper grease stuff?

Is it something a rest overnight will sort? Actually, don't answer that - that's a stupid question as I'll find out myself before anyone answers. :wink:
By ELGY123
I would always copper grease the caliper side of the pad to prevent squeel from between the backing of the pad and the caliper itself. This is created from the tiny movement you get when the pad runs along the moving disc. :thumbup:

I hope thats not teach egg sucking 101.
By rico83
Random Man wrote:I've just got a set of ds2500 pads on the front and standard Honda on the back today. I've followed the procedure for non-track bedding-in but after i left it to rest and had a go, there was a definate squeak when pulling up to stop. As yet, i've only been gentle on them and haven't got around to the hammering part.

Is this normal and likely to go or is that it for those pads and I'm now a life resident of Squeaksville? Has anyone got any further advice? Maybe give it a hundred miles of only gentle braking or get some of this copper grease stuff?

Is it something a rest overnight will sort? Actually, don't answer that - that's a stupid question as I'll find out myself before anyone answers. :wink:

I've done about 300 miles on mines and not heard them squeek once. I didn't have the metal shims as these were built onto my previous pads: ebc red stuff's and I disposed of them.

As stated above, the copper grease was used on both the pads and the calipers (including piston ring).

HTH
Rico
By Damien
rico83 wrote:
Random Man wrote:I've just got a set of ds2500 pads on the front and standard Honda on the back today. I've followed the procedure for non-track bedding-in but after i left it to rest and had a go, there was a definate squeak when pulling up to stop. As yet, i've only been gentle on them and haven't got around to the hammering part.

I've done about 300 miles on mines and not heard them squeek once. I didn't have the metal shims as these were built onto my previous pads: ebc red stuff's and I disposed of them.

As stated above, the copper grease was used on both the pads and the calipers (including piston ring).

HTH
Rico
i fitted the pads and the oem shims, and the copper greese and new discs last night and i havnt had any problems, just slow and steady breaking, plus the bedding process!
By R. Castro
Is that only the brake pads or the calipppers came as well. Im looking to get red calippers but i dont want to paint my ones i want to buy, and at the moment not willing to spend lot for some brembos. I will eventually get them after fitting the turbo, but can anyone help me with info on some good red calippers???
By ShaunCTR
I have just followed this procedure with my new brakes and Red Stuff pads from the group buy. Had them fitted today and by the time I got to about the 25th stop it started to smell of burning a little is this normal :-|
By ep3petey
DS2500 are NOT ment to be fitted with the O.E shims, this can lead to the pads being too tight in the caliper and therefore binding. They will also smell of burning for the first few big brake applications this is just the compound that binds the material together burning off and is normal on this sort of race pad. Being made of the sort of material they are made of means that these pads will squeel as noise was not a primary concern when they were desgined, copper grease is still a good idea to aid movement and instalation.

I have had a few sets on various cars now and find the DS2500 to be a great all round pad for fast road driving!
By evilowl
ShaunCTR wrote:I have just followed this procedure with my new brakes and Red Stuff pads from the group buy. Had them fitted today and by the time I got to about the 25th stop it started to smell of burning a little is this normal :-|
Perhaps you should have followed EBC's bedding in procedure :lol:
By ShaunCTR
just says take it easy for the first 100 miles or so :-|

Also how do I know if the pads are scoring the discs Mate?
By al_typeR
Just a quick question but would you still follow this if you have fitted new discs too. I have new discs and Ds2500s to go on front and rear and the last thing i wanna do is cook the new discs and end up with brake judder.
By wedgie
I have had ds2500's front and rear on my teg for a couple of years now..

During this time i have found that,they can be quite squeeky at times,especially if they only have some temp in them.But once they are up to temp the noise soon goes,and anyway i can put up with a little squeek for the peice of mind of knowing that the car is going lose alot of speed when you hit the middle pedal when you are "pushing on"

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]