The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Those round things that you roll on...
By project90
My 03 ep3 just scraped thro the mot due to the hand brake not being up to par it was just over the pass mark.

there is plenty of life in both sets of discs n pads and the calipers were changed 2 years ago after it failed the 1st mot i took brakes apart greased the pins rubbed down the edges of the pad as they were a bit snug but nothing was really binding on. Any way i did the adjustment method where u disconnect the hand brake cables wind the adjuster all the way back pushed the pistons right back in. Then pumped the pedal a good 20 times went for a little drive a few more pumped attached cables and adjusted the bolt under centre console.

now it made my brakes feel great proper solid feel to them hand brake felt better and this is when it just scarped thro the mot with that done, however again the hand brake has lost its grip i have adjusted the nut under console again and there is bite but not enough to hold the car on a hill it creaks and groans an slowly moves forward so having to keep it up against the kerb and leave in revese atm, which i hate doing.

so my only thoughts are the cables have stretched and these are the only original bit on there and will be 14 years old, you guy think this is a fair assumption if so what r they like to fit is it a garage job with a ramp or can it be done with a trolley jack and a few swaer words?

or any other advice is welcome

Thanks guys n girls in advanced
By parsimony
I'd say there's a good chance the cables have stretched so replacement would be a good investment.
Reminds me of a car I bought many years ago that suffered this problem.
Turned out the previous owner had attempted to shorten the cable by tying a knot in it :lol:
By project90
been a while, thanks for the reply, well i got 2 new cables took the old left hand side off and the new cable had the brackets all the wrong way, i have since had another pair of cables sent out but still the same, so sent them back tried some where else for the cables, they have arrived to day and still seems the same problem, has any 1 bought hand brake cables from any where other than carparts4 less.com or eurocarpats.com.

If so was te brackets diff way around or what think they might come off and rotate around but y would they sell them as left and right handed if they are both the same cables to start with?

thanks
By 15repyt
I doubt the cables would improve it, that's what the adjuster inside the car is for to allow for the stretch of the cables.

I suspect the calipers are at fault even though they are 2 years old. To be honest every Honda I have owned the handbrake has always been rubbish.
By project90
no think it was definitely the left hand cable as when i removed it the right hand side 1 went much better and inside the cable was all rusty but i can see how i get on, i know from when i got the car the hand brake was crap but still needs to be better than what it was to fly thro the mot next year :D.

just trying to get the correct fitment of cables without going to honda as they were charging £90 a cable

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]