The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Here you can introduce yourselves..
deano.gt wrote:Nice right up drew much appreciated

Sent from my HTC One_dude using Tapatalk
Is there a write up on here of what to look for on a CTR in general when buying? If not i have time lets go through a few things you may encounter -

Firstly check the rear calipers and discs/pads as they stcik and bind, common on all honda's ive had this on ep3, fn2, accord and s2000. Look for signs of overheat on discs and brake wobble though this is normally felt from warped fronts.

Common issues in general are the clutch pedal squeak/dry/ feels funny, this is solved from a liberal spraying of lithium grease on this piston by pedal and working it, check for rust a long top of the window seal, and the ICV on the throttle body can play up. Think there is a delete kit but last time i just changed mine.

The chains are pretty good but listen out for rattle on start and poor running, if the owner says it been changed ensure it is a genuine honda one as cheap ebay copies can break and total engine.

Not so common on the fn2 due to better oil control normally from the light coming on sooner but the engines do tend to start using oil after 60/70k and if run low can suffer bottom end knock.

Key services are the very expensive Irrdium spark plugs and Valve clearance checks at 60-70k. Check these have been done or a pricey bill may fall in your lap. Or use this as a bargaining tool if its required. The one i have just bought requires both these but for the price i paid im not too bothered. I also get trade prices on parts and do work myself including the valve clearance so not an issue but expect at least 200 for plugs and valve check parts/labour by someone decent.

General service history check aswell, the one i bought was from an auction with no history. Dodgy you may think and some would agree, however a quick call to your local honda dealer and the service girls can tell you its history with honda and mileages to check for discrepencies as if peple clock them they tend to do before MOT therfore service in dealer is bit more indicative. Mines a 59 reg and turned out to have 4 honda services up to 40k, so at most im missing last 2 in 20k. not to much of an issue.

If i think of any more i shall update as i go.....

Oh remmebered one, the subframe clicks. Turn front wheels stationary side to side. Requires bolts removing, greasing and re fitting. Not big deal but again a bargaining tool.
Thank once again excellent write up [emoji106]I've never taken a car to garage always done work myself dude the last Honda I had was a prelude 2.2vti that was a few years ago since then I've had a lot of German cars but I've decided to check out the Honda's once again [emoji16]what's the boot size like on fn2 are the small than the ep3

Sent from my HTC One_dude using Tapatalk
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]