The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Pics that you just wanna show
Yeah, same Punto, Omni. Are you surprised that it is still around and not rusted into oblivion? :lol:
Superbully wrote:Like the new 500 abarth! :twisted:

tell me, why the choice of such an ancient X19 block for the punto though? :scratch: surely Fiat have done better blocks to build on than that since?
Thanks for the comments, to you and the others! The X19 block is a closed deck design, therefore much stronger than other blocks available which can be used. Essentially, the whole engine looks almost identical to the standard 1.4 lump - it's not a conversion or anything, which is another route Mr Bilko could have taken (i.e 2.0ltr or even 1.9ltr). The route he chose is considered the most complex, which is partly why he did it. :twisted:
By Omni
mini bilko wrote:Yeah, same Punto, Omni. Are you surprised that it is still around and not rusted into oblivion? :lol:
to be honest, i'm more surprised that after having spent £15k+ on it, its not made out of solid Gold.
Absolutely love the 500 Abarth!! Also, I note that you are from South Manchester.....what car park is that? Don't see many with normal flourescent lighting as they all seem to be orange.
Blue flourescent is @ Liverpool 1, Q-Park. Normal (white) flourescent is in the gym car park, Total Fitness in Altrincham. There's loads of white flourescent car parks around Altrincham, infact everywhere, I'm trying to think of one where they are orange. :scratch:

Omni, come on pal, you can buy a watch for £15k which isn't solid gold. Stop being silly. That included buying the car too, which, 8 years ago when it was only 3.5 years old was considerably more than the current "packet of skittles and a diet coke" they are worth now :cooldude:
By Omni
Actually, just checked back to the good ol days, it was £20k :shock:

We did have a giggle back then though, I stumbled across the post where you were having a hissy fit because people were rating it 1/10 on the garage feature :lovl:
Omni wrote:Actually, just checked back to the good ol days, it was £20k :shock:

We did have a giggle back then though, I stumbled across the post where you were having a hissy fit because people were rating it 1/10 on the garage feature :lovl:
You must have trawled through some posts to find that!! That was more than many moons ago :lol:

Yes, I remember the garage feature, and the upset it caused when the Punto was top of the "most modified" section. It got to the point where people were including stickers as modifications, and listing every upgraded valve spring in their head, just to try and close the gap! :lol: then voting 1/10. Looking back, now I'm older and wiser, I shouldn't have been upset about it, because I now realise that any publicity is good publicity, and it certainly created a talking point for a while :D

These days I spend my time making cars look nice rather than go nice. :P
Yeah, it's quite a handful to drive. With the power it has, and a 3kg flywheel, its as if it has a close ratio sequential box in it :shock: 2nd and 3rd gear just come and go within seconds of each other. Gave it a bit of a thrashing today (if you can call using 1/2 throttle 'thrashing'??), and it is insanely quick for such a small car!

Few more pictures taken today anyway, during a detailing session :cooldude:

in the unit ready to apply some protection..

Once the 2nd layer was buffed off, I topped it with a finishing coat of Zaino Z8 Grand Finale. I saw this ladybug wandering across the roof... thought I'd snap it up and show you the metallic :D

Final pics 8-)

Slightly tweaked one..

Now time to check out the gloss..

Cheers,
Matt.
Sadly not mate. Haven't got round to making any! Recently bought a new HD camera though, for the detailing, so our plan is to make some. We have a suction mount to use inside the car :cool:

Moar pics of the Abarth anyway, nevermind that rusty old Punto :bad-words:

And the wheels after some Zaino and Swissvax treatment :cooldude:

I thought I'd sign in and have a mooch around the site once again & came across this cheeky little thread :cool:

The 500's build quality is far far better than a Fiat (it is an Abarth after all) and it drives quite solidly whilst returning great mpg figures. It's also bang up to date and as funky as a thousand chickens (showing my age there :oops: )

The Punto on the other hand is pure hardcore & is a proper nightmare now the weather's on the change as it doesn't run a thermostat or an ICV so it stalls when cold at every opportunity. Also it tends to want to wheelspin in every gear in the damp - including 5th :eek: :shock: As for the Abarth centre caps they were bought as square badges on a holiday in Sorrento a few years back & I spent an evening cutting them into round ones.

@Omni, yes it cost a lot of ££'s but that goes along with the territory when trying to do something special that aint a Jap car or Cossie - there simply isn't anything we could buy off the shelf to mod the car so 90% of it is all custom made just for this project. I must admit I did laugh though when we took the car to Warrington go-kart track with a 1 out of 10 scorecard on it back in the day and watching mini b getting all girly :lol: :lol:
I'm just getting into the Swissvax range tbh with you mate - so my experience with them has been limited. From what I have seen so far though, it is very nice stuff, very desirable, and is certainly a cut above most of the mainstream gear in terms of quality (talking about detailing products in general here, like Dodo Juice etc), but it does come at great expense.

I applied the Autobahn by hand today, when I say hand, I mean with my fingers. Amazing product, smells like refreshers too :lol:

Hoping to get trading on here soon, so as soon as I am, I'll do some more detailed writeups of products etc.
By OZ 82
It is expensive stuff. I started using it after i bought my ctr about 3 and half years ago. I had it detailed in an effort to restore the colour, but as i am sure you know it didnt make a difference having a clearcoat over the paint. But the guy i took it to uses Swiisvax products and kindly sold me some Saphir wax.

In the end i had the car resprayed and have used nothing but Swissvax on it since. The level of protection it offers is great imo and the car looks so good after a few hours in the sun after a coat of it. Only down side is that it costs nearly a hundred pounds a pot, but hey, its cheaper than another respray. Will look forward to your write ups and hopefully buy some gear from you.

Is the autobahn stuff for wheels?
It seems to be worth the premium. Might seem surprising for me to say, I was sceptical at first, but after trying one or two bits I soon realised it was definately worth the extra - whether the entire range is worth it I don't know?

Yes, Autobahn is a wheel wax, which contains carnauba and also PTFE (teflon coating). In that last shot of the Abarth wheels they are wearing a coat of Zaino Z2 sealant, and then the Autobahn is layered on top.. :cool:
By OZ 82
Oh right, they look really good. I have been using Poorboys wheel sealant on my powdercoated oem wheels for a few months. Seems ok but not as good as i thought it would be. May try some of the autobahn stuff next then if the results are that good. Do you have any tips for getting rid of pitting mate? As i am starting to see signs of it, and with the wheels being black they do show up every little mark.

Cheers

Mark
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]