The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Information, speculation and anything else specifically related to Civic Type R FK8 (2017 onwards)
By Stevie_CTR
Hi
Just joined the forum and thinking of buying a 2017 civic type R.
I've been driving 330D M sport's for the last 10 years had impreza's, golf gti's ,etc before the BMW.
I had a test drive of a type R last week and was amazed at the power, road holding and handling compared with all my previous cars, it seems a real drivers car which is what I am looking for.
Just a few things holding me back from buying and was wondering if any owners could help:-
1) Do you tend to go through front tyres often ? ,I know this is dependant on how you drive but excluding track days, is 10K on a set realistic ?
2) Does this car attract unwanted attention on the road ? I'm in my 40's now and past the racing stage ! also my wife will be driving it during the week so don't need the hassle. I appreciate it's new and people will be curious which I don't mind.
3) I found on the test drive it was quite 'boomy' in the back under acceleration. Does anyone else find this and does it become wearing on long trips ? I appreciate it's a sports car and its supposed to be loud. I had a look in the boot and there is no soundproofing at all under the boot carpet (presumably to save on weight, reduce cost), however I think the boom could be easily reduced using soundproofing materials in the boot floor.

Any help on the above would be greatly appreciated as it seems to be exactly the kind of driver orientated car I'm looking for whilst still being capable of day to day trips in the town.
By Evilwoo
Hi

I bought my FK8 in black a month or so ago, having previously only owned other CTRs (EP3 --> EP3 --> FD2 ---> FK8). So far I have covered around 2000 miles with this one and shortly after I bought it me and my partner took it to Cornwall/Scilly Isles for a week which also included a drive to lands end and back (from Kent). Given this, I have posted my responses to your concerns below and I hope that you find them helpful :-)

1) My car has covered just over 7k and I have around 1/2mm left on the Fronts (loads still on the rear). I am anticipating changing the fronts after around 8k miles and I will stick with the OEM tyre (CSC6).

2) Im 31 and the car is certainly a head turner so if you don't want people noticing and/or looking at it, then it could be the wrong car. However I do think this is mostly because the styling is extremely loud and they are quite rare still so people are curious. I do also daily a Transit Courier for work and believe me when I say, I get a LOT more people tailgating and harassing me when I'm in the Van. When I'm in the FK8 I find that other cars generally really keep their distance, even more so than is usual I would say. I haven't noticed anybody really trying to race me either. I guess most people realise that their diesel German barge is likely to be hugely embarrassed if they attempted it, so from my experience the majority of other drivers tend to stay well back and well clear.

3) For me, the exhaust is extremely quiet, and I like that a lot. I don't notice the exhaust at all when cruising along the motorway at 70, the only time I really hear it is if you drop it down a notch and put your foot to the floor, but even then the tyre roar and engine are at roughly the same decibels so I'd be more concerned about the noise from the tyres as I can't really hear the exhaust over that anyway. I've had modified/after market exhausts on my previous EP3's, and so I do understand the concern of the drone/boom, but for me the FK8 is near silent and extremely well refined. Most reviewers I've seen have actually marked the lack of noise as a negative, however for me its definitely a positive. Besides; if you have the radio/music on at even a low volume (which I always do) then this really is a non point completely.

Hopefully this helps and good luck with whichever car you decide to go for.
By Stevie_CTR
Thanks for the reply Evilwoo, that puts my mind at rest.
I took the plunge and put deposit on a red fk8 last Saturday. Picking it up this Saturday coming.
Looking forward to driving the car but from test drives I've had it seems amazing.
This one has 1200 miles on it, are they run in ok at 1200 or do I need to take it easy for a bit ?
Also wondering what fuel to use. Dealer uses ordinary 95 ron and car seemed ok but might try Tesco momentum which is 98ron and a bit cheaper.
By Evilwoo
Stevie_CTR wrote:Thanks for the reply Evilwoo, that puts my mind at rest.
I took the plunge and put deposit on a red fk8 last Saturday. Picking it up this Saturday coming.
Looking forward to driving the car but from test drives I've had it seems amazing.
This one has 1200 miles on it, are they run in ok at 1200 or do I need to take it easy for a bit ?
Also wondering what fuel to use. Dealer uses ordinary 95 ron and car seemed ok but might try Tesco momentum which is 98ron and a bit cheaper.
Glad you found it useful - I bet you can't wait to get her home! I love the Red, I had a Milano EP3 once. Is the FK8 red still called Milano?

I personally wouldn't worry about taking it too easy after 1200 miles, I'm quite sure that these days cars come out of the factory and are ready to be fully utilized. The problem with 316bhp on tap is that there aren't many opportunity's you can actually fully utilize it legally and safely on the road anyway.

My preference is and has always been Shell V-Power however there is no longer a convenient Shell station local to me so I have been using Tesco Momentum (I think its 99 RON).
Lewisgame wrote:Just bear in mind this....
What are we bearing in mind here?
By Lewisgame
Maybe not on this forum, but on others, people complaining about the car. Excessive tyre wear, lack of refinement, dash rattles, noisy brakes etc.
Not taking into consideration that it’s a track focused car and not a VW Golf....
By Stevie_CTR
Thanks for the info mate.
It's rallye red, got the diamond bright paint protection put on also.
I'll splash out on a tank of Tesco's finest and put it through its paces!
By back in black
Glad you took the plunge Stevie. I've just returned to the fold in a black one. Only 400 mls so far, and really enjoying the car. I've come from an RS Focus Mk3 . I grew tired of Fords indifference to the Head Gasket fault. As for unwanted attention, nothing obvious so far, maybe black is more of a stealth colour. Nitrous Blue certainly stood out, and I always tried to park sensibly, I'm of the opinion that the morons out there will have a pop at any decent car what ever the make or styling.When I decided to walk away from the Ford, there was only one car to go to !
By the way , whisper this , I'm 67 !
By Stevie_CTR
Had the car for a few months now and about 2000 miles later got to say I'm really enjoying it. By the far the best drivers car out there. Only niggle so far is the squeaky brakes which drives my wife nuts when she's driving in town but doesn't really bother me as much. Loving the high revving engine, totally different to the diesel cars I've had before.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]