The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Got an discussion that needs a majority verdict? Put it to the vote.

What Petrol Do You Use

Optimax 98 RON
45%
Brand Super Unleaded 97 RON
9%
Supermarket Super Unleaded 97 RON
7%
Brand Unleaded 95 RON
14%
Supermarket Unleaded 95 RON
13%
A mix of any old stuff i.e. what ever is at the nearest pump 95–98 RON
12%
By mc36155
shell v-power super-unleaded think thats 99 RON, drive 10 miles out of my way to get it too
By Coolkrisymac
If Prices Go Up any Higher on the higher Octane fuels i don't think i'll be able to afford it lol. Its at £1.22 where i am For the Tesco's Super Unleaded and about £1.36 at some Services for V-Power and BP Ultimate Crazy Prices ha ha!
By haggis
i just use whatevers cheapest....i don't believe in putting V-Power in a UK Spec N/A engine ;-)
By toast
JPS3290 wrote:Have to admit i generally stick to supermarket 95. Sometimes stick in some BP 97 or shell 95 and then occaisonally Optimax depending on the price. It was 83.9 last time i checked :roll:

dam you :bad-words:
By James Manson
No one has mentioned tesco 99 octaine?? I used it all the time on my scooby and it always ran great. Put regular in and It would run lumpy. The ctr will only use 99! Don't rate any of the others for value at all.
By bluntcap
James Manson wrote:No one has mentioned tesco 99 octaine?? I used it all the time on my scooby and it always ran great. Put regular in and It would run lumpy. The ctr will only use 99! Don't rate any of the others for value at all.
the ctr will only use 99 :scratch:

its mapped to 95.......unless yours is a JDM model?
By James Manson
bluntcap wrote:
James Manson wrote:No one has mentioned tesco 99 octaine?? I used it all the time on my scooby and it always ran great. Put regular in and It would run lumpy. The ctr will only use 99! Don't rate any of the others for value at all.

sorry, Subaru died. Bought a type r last week. going use 99 on ctr. :salut:
By bluntcap
James Manson wrote:
bluntcap wrote:

Waste of money using 99 on a CTR....has no benefits.
By James Manson
bluntcap wrote:
James Manson wrote:
bluntcap wrote:

Waste of money using 99 on a CTR....has no benefits.
well I wouldn't say that as get about 30 miles per tank extra and it is ally cleaner than 95. Has to be better all round on the engine and injectors to help keep them clean?
By bluntcap
James Manson wrote:
well I wouldn't say that as get about 30 miles per tank extra and it is ally cleaner than 95. Has to be better all round on the engine and injectors to help keep them clean?
Ok some benifit with it being cleaner, but it's not like 95 is going to ruin your engine. The UK CTR engine was designed to run on 95 ron fuel, the factory map is designed around 95 ron fuel, it has no capability to adjust itself to higher ron fuels. 30 miles extra to a tank in your case could be many things, if you got a consistant 30 extra miles every tank for a good 6 months with all types of driving then ok, but after 1-2 tanks of new fuel with better mpg doesn't mean it was the fuel that did it.

I went from using 97 ron to 95 and had an increase in mpg with the 95, then I got my car serviced with new spark plugs and after that (consistantly) since I had the service like 4 months ago I've never had such good mpg figures all with 95 ron and better than any tank of fuel I had with 97 ron. But hey it's your money if you think it makes a difference then fair enough........
By Carl M
bp 95 for me as its a standard uk car. has anyone tried a dyno run on all makes of fuel in a ctr? the last forum i used was scoobynet and tests showed no difference in power figures on a standard uk car unless using an aftermarket ecu but its personal choice i guess.
By James Manson
Carl M wrote:bp 95 for me as its a standard uk car. has anyone tried a dyno run on all makes of fuel in a ctr? the last forum i used was scoobynet and tests showed no difference in power figures on a standard uk car unless using an aftermarket ecu but its personal choice i guess.
I have seen dynos when an octaine booster is used on three separate run using normal fuel, and five or so different octaine boosters. The differance was mental!! The best one was NOS racing booster that is supposed to add up to 6 points on high octaine pump fuel? I always used it on my Subaru and it made the car feel soooo much better.
Anyway, this kind of proves the point that that a higher octaine is better for an engine. Petrol companys must spend millions on research and development and they have proved that it gives you more miles and power the higher the octaine.
By bluntcap
James Manson wrote:
Carl M wrote:bp 95 for me as its a standard uk car. has anyone tried a dyno run on all makes of fuel in a ctr? the last forum i used was scoobynet and tests showed no difference in power figures on a standard uk car unless using an aftermarket ecu but its personal choice i guess.
I have seen dynos when an octaine booster is used on three separate run using normal fuel, and five or so different octaine boosters. The differance was mental!! The best one was NOS racing booster that is supposed to add up to 6 points on high octaine pump fuel? I always used it on my Subaru and it made the car feel soooo much better.
Anyway, this kind of proves the point that that a higher octaine is better for an engine. Petrol companys must spend millions on research and development and they have proved that it gives you more miles and power the higher the octaine.
Well what I don't understand then about the civic is.....If the ECU has been mapped to 95 ron fuel and has no capability to recognise the higher ron fuel and adjust itself.....how can it make more power? The ECU doesn't recognise the fuel as being different so it just fuels as normal.......doesn't it?
By James Manson
bluntcap wrote:
James Manson wrote:
Well what I don't understand then about the civic is.....If the ECU has been mapped to 95 ron fuel and has no capability to recognise the higher ron fuel and adjust itself.....how can it make more power? The ECU doesn't recognise the fuel as being different so it just fuels as normal.......doesn't it?
I'm not sure how it works either but surley it the same on all cars? Ford, pug, vw? The petrol manufactures test seem to prove it does work. But how I don't know? Maybe there is a slight +- for the octaine rateing on all cars?
By James Manson
Waste of money using 99 on a CTR....has no benefits.[/quote]

ok here is what the Honda hand book says.....

Page 213.
Petrol models,
your Honda is designed to operate on premium/super unleaded petrol with a research octaine number (ron) of 95 or higher.

Type r model,
use of a lower octaine petrol can cause a persistent, heavy metallic rapping noise in the engine that can lead to mechanical damage.

That is all quoted from the owners manual.
Still going to use 95????? :roll:
By bluntcap
James Manson wrote: Still going to use 95????? :roll:
Yes..... :lol:

Trust me the car won't blow up if I don't use 95.

I'm fed up with this........ :sleeping:
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]