The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Got an discussion that needs a majority verdict? Put it to the vote.

What Petrol Do You Use

Optimax 98 RON
45%
Brand Super Unleaded 97 RON
9%
Supermarket Super Unleaded 97 RON
7%
Brand Unleaded 95 RON
14%
Supermarket Unleaded 95 RON
13%
A mix of any old stuff i.e. what ever is at the nearest pump 95–98 RON
12%
By Eat The Rich
Yeah I paid £1.01/litre the other day too... and guess what, I need to fill up on the way home today, urghhh...

I always used Optimax in my CTR by choice even though normal 95 would've been ok. My old 106 GTi was mapped to 98 Optimax and now my LCR states you shouldn't use any less than 98 so V Power all the way still for me :P
By GrahamK
Used to be Optimax but it's just been to expensive to justify for about a year now. :bad-words:
By rico83
After using optimax for many months I now only stick to the standard guff.
Don't really notice the difference and extra pennies = more mods!
By sugarpuff
JPS3290 wrote:Have to admit i generally stick to supermarket 95. Sometimes stick in some BP 97 or shell 95 and then occaisonally Optimax depending on the price. It was 83.9 last time i checked :roll:
Just got bp ultima 106.4 a litre!!!!! :bad-words: i find that normal esso unleaded gives just about the same performance than optimax... or is it just me :vconf:
By sugarpuff
GamalLear wrote:Was always Optimax, but 104.9 / 105.9 It's just too much now. I put it in every 5th tank or so. :roll: :sad:
I think you find that it not worth putting in every 5th tank optimax cos im sure it takes 2 tank fulls to benifit from it and get all the 'non optimax' petrol out your fuel system, so your putting optimax in and paying extra but the other brand petrol is 'watering' it down if you can make sence of that lol
By GamalLear
sugarpuff wrote:
GamalLear wrote:Was always Optimax, but 104.9 / 105.9 It's just too much now. I put it in every 5th tank or so. :roll: :sad:
I think you find that it not worth putting in every 5th tank optimax cos im sure it takes 2 tank fulls to benifit from it and get all the 'non optimax' petrol out your fuel system, so your putting optimax in and paying extra but the other brand petrol is 'watering' it down if you can make sence of that lol
Agree - if you read my later comments, I now put in V-Power exclusively (now I have had an ECU remap as well, I prefer the higher octane rating).
By sugarpuff
Ive recently been using total super unleaded, it is most prob the best petrol ive used so far... found it better than optimax, anyone used it and thought the same? or is anyone willing to use it to see if had same results as me?
By GamalLear
You mean Excellium (spelling!)

Wasn't impressed to be honest. As well as the performance, one of the things that attracts me to Shell fuel are the active cleaning agents, which hopefully keeps everything nice and clean on the inside!
By Jono81
99% of the time I use optimax, but on th odd occasion I've had to use standard supermarket usuper.

Makes quite a difference as well, but I'm guessing that's because my current car is turbo charged and mapped specifically for higher octane :scratch:
By Rob
JPS3290 wrote:Morrisons 72.9p Unleaded at the moment :) Cant argue for that price, more VTEC moments IMO :) ;) :twisted:
Reading this just makes me upset and want to cry. How :ymca: has this country become :sad: :bigcry:
By hobgoblin
was just thinkin the same :bigcry:

i use 99ron tesco special fuel mostly :thumbup:
or V-power if am not near tescos

i have been known to use 95ron but only if there isn't a track day coming up

if i have been using cheaper fuel then i switch to the good stuff about a month before
:cool:
By Griffyn
Have only been putting V-Power in the car in general, love my VTEC too much so best to stop knocking (not a huge issue really but oh well)
By final_CTR
V Power all the way.. i nearly shut down once because i was searching for Shell despite driving past crappy ones! I must be brainwashed! But the Vpower defo makes a difference as soon as you drive off from the petrol station you know what im talking about! Smooothh and quick!
By Jules
ben_ward2oo5 wrote:Tesco 99ron,but then it is a turbo.

But for none turbo its been proven it doesnt give you anymore gains to use high octane.
No it hasnt. There are gains to be had from any performance engine with high octane fuel, you just get more from a turbo.

:roll:

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]