The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Got an discussion that needs a majority verdict? Put it to the vote.

Should I go Rotrex (bottom mount) or JRSC?

JRSC
38%
Rotrex bottom mount
63%
By Liam Type-R
OK, I have been going on about this for a while now. I initially decided JRSC then changed my mind after reading about the lower mount Rotrex and fancied something a bit different to what you see on here.

Both have their good and bad points, but that hasnt made one stand out for me.

I want to track the car and a bit of a blast when at home, but it is also a daily drive but with only minimal miles. Fuel isnt really a problem and turbo is too much money at the moment for me.

I like that the jackson is fit and forget and that the low and mid range power are much improved, power is literally at your foot when you want it.

I like that the Rotrex builds up in power as you rev higher, with it being a centrifugal charger, meaning for the most power you have to keep the revs high.

I like the noise of both chargers, the jrsc whine and the Rotrex woosh with the blow off valve at gear change.

I have read that jrsc's have the manifold and shaft problems. But I will be buying new and getting it fitted at cpl so hopefully limits any of that and comes with a warranty.

The Rotrex can have problems with its oil lines and fittings and needs the oil checked and changed at set intervals.

Power wise, jrsc 290-310 bhp Rotrex 300- 320bhp (with the option to get an fmic later on for upto 370bh, roughly)

The lower mount Rotrex is the better performing one also produces upto 240lb/ft of torque.

Help me choose guys??? Anything i have missed out or got wrong, please point it out and i will add it.
By bluntcap
I voted JRSC....only because I have one :lol:

Mate you can't really go wrong with either tbh, I chose the JRSC because I had a ride in a Turbo CTR and a JRSC within the 1st year of my ownership and fell in love with the JRSC power delivery. I use the car as a daily and rack up a good 200+ miles a week in the car, living with one day to day is great. I had a really nice blast yesterday, as I have moved a little further out from Belfast I travel on more B roads, so the revs didn't drop below 4.5Krpm and it was great, just squeezing that throttle and having instant power as I was always in VTEC (4K :twisted: ) I actually turned the radio right down to hear the roar of the engine and the noise off the exhaust, put such a smile on my face and great pump of adrenaline :-D

But as said with the Rotrex I'm sure you would enjoy it just as much, but 300bhp is a great amount of power to have, I have great grip from my tyres and LSD.....I did a 1st > 2nd > 3rd flat out earlier and it gripped like a bitch in every gear.
Im getting an lsd clutch and fly at the same time, so grip and a bit of abuse will add to it.

I really cant decide between the 2.

Do I have to vote to see what the results are? :lol: EDIT, its ok i see the show results button now. :roll:
By haitch
Rotrex for me, I know bugger all about superchargers bar liking the noise, you can get more out of the Rotrex later? Seems Jackson is everywhere.

What about the base turbo kit from TDI, you can always add to it when you have the cash? I know bugger all about turbo kits either..

:shouldbeinteresting:
I have asked but it is still more then either of the above. Maybe they are every where for a reason i keep asking myself. Havent seen one lower mount keep for sale on here and only 1 top mount. They seem to be used a lot less. I think thats the plug and play of the jackson coming into its own?

The power delivery is making me think more. Would ideally like to have a ride in both and see, but cant happen with living here.
bluntcap wrote:I voted JRSC....only because I have one :lol:

Mate you can't really go wrong with either tbh, I chose the JRSC because I had a ride in a Turbo CTR and a JRSC within the 1st year of my ownership and fell in love with the JRSC power delivery. I use the car as a daily and rack up a good 200+ miles a week in the car, living with one day to day is great. I had a really nice blast yesterday, as I have moved a little further out from Belfast I travel on more B roads, so the revs didn't drop below 4.5Krpm and it was great, just squeezing that throttle and having instant power as I was always in VTEC (4K :twisted: ) I actually turned the radio right down to hear the roar of the engine and the noise off the exhaust, put such a smile on my face and great pump of adrenaline :-D

But as said with the Rotrex I'm sure you would enjoy it just as much, but 300bhp is a great amount of power to have, I have great grip from my tyres and LSD.....I did a 1st > 2nd > 3rd flat out earlier and it gripped like a bitch in every gear.
Also I think the Rotrex has a power delivery similar to the turbo, being they operate in a similar way. I know its difficult, but how can you best describe the power you get from the jrsc compared to the turbo?
By bluntcap
Liam Type-R wrote:
Also I think the Rotrex has a power delivery similar to the turbo, being they operate in a similar way. I know its difficult, but how can you best describe the power you get from the jrsc compared to the turbo?
Lets see......turbo was...... :-| :smile: :-D :shock: :shocked!:

Jrsc....... :smile: :-D :P :eek:

Once the turbo kicked in the car went mad, with the JRSC it's just super smooth, like a highly tuned NA set up or something, there is no spike in power, it's all just really smooth, the Turbo I was in had a high increase in boost pressure which made it feel crazy fast, but realistically it's the same as the JRSC, just the delivery of power is completely different. They do say JRSc for road and track, turbo for drag racing......I can see why. But then you have Dez or whatever his name is with the M20 turbo FN2 who says the power delivery is smooth with that car. Best is to get a drive in both mate.
RM CYA wrote:Mps
:lol: yeah nice try. looking forward to the civic with the supercharger tbh. Love how nimble it is and the tits getting revved off it.

I drove the ed30 not that long ago, but it didnt excite me the same way you have to drive the civic and get it up to the redline.
Any significant cost difference between them?
Not really, the Rotrex without the intercooler comes in about £200 more then the jackson, but it comes with pipework and a filter to fit where i want (under the battery/in the aem cai position) with it being located in the a/c position.

with the jrsc I have to buy an induction kit to go with it, aem or tegiwa probably, as i sold my last one when i went back to standard for a while.

So they balance out tbh

Im sure you all know where the Jrsc gets fitted with the intake of your choice. This Rotrex kit fits here(doesnt come with what is in the list this is just to show position,nor is it this price) and it uses the stock intake mani...

http://www.rotrexsuperchargers.co.uk/Ro ... ircon.html
haitch wrote:Rotrex for me, I know bugger all about superchargers bar liking the noise, you can get more out of the Rotrex later? Seems Jackson is everywhere.

What about the base turbo kit from TDI, you can always add to it when you have the cash? I know bugger all about turbo kits either..

:shouldbeinteresting:
See even people who know bugger all about them are voting. :lol:

Even if its a preference on sound it will help me decide, i really am torn.
By Liam Type-R
bluntcap wrote:
Liam Type-R wrote:
Lets see......turbo was...... :-| :smile: :-D :shock: :shocked!:

Jrsc....... :smile: :-D :P :eek:

Once the turbo kicked in the car went mad, with the JRSC it's just super smooth, like a highly tuned NA set up or something, there is no spike in power, it's all just really smooth, the Turbo I was in had a high increase in boost pressure which made it feel crazy fast, but realistically it's the same as the JRSC, just the delivery of power is completely different. They do say JRSc for road and track, turbo for drag racing......I can see why. But then you have Dez or whatever his name is with the M20 turbo FN2 who says the power delivery is smooth with that car. Best is to get a drive in both mate.
Good description mate, certainly helps. I can understand the turbo for drag charger for track argument. But the Rotrex has no lag like a turbo, just less boost low down, so i suppose its a mix of the 2, more then like one or the other.

I'll have to go ahead and order one soon, as we want to come over June. :???:

Not a bad position to be in I know, but its just picking one without being able to try is the problem.
By eatthis
Liam Type-R wrote:
bluntcap wrote:I voted JRSC....only because I have one :lol:

Rotrex is nothing like a turbo fella thats why i like it :)
more rpm = more power simple as that
its extremely smooth power delivery unlike a turbo
By Josh1921
Hear a lot about JRSC owners eventually getting bored of the 300bhp, so I'd go with the Rotrex as its different and potentially the powers there if you want moaaar !
Cheers for all the input so far lads. Is definitely helping my decision. :cool:
jdmnick wrote:I would definitely go with a Rotrex imo, I believe they both offer quality built products, but with the Rotrex you get the IC which means to me you can run more boost and get more power!
This was my initial thought when i was deciding. I can even go for the biggest Rotrex in the a/c position for more boost again, if i decided on this option i would certainly build the engine as well.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]