The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Got an discussion that needs a majority verdict? Put it to the vote.

How much have you spent on mods on your CTR?

£0
11%
£1-500
20%
£501-£1000
15%
£1000-£2000
12%
£2000-£3000
16%
£3,000 - £5,000
12%
£5000+
14%
about 2700 so far, with plans for another 4000 or so...

i understand and agree completely with the comments about just buying another car, however, researching and tinkering with the car is my hobby, to some people it's an expensive hobby yes, but the joy it gives me is worth the price.

i've been doing loads of research to try and limit the amount of money that i spend, i have a finishing line set in my head for how i want the car which should take about another 3 years or so... then i'll move on to the next project!

7ish grand over 5 years is not a lot of money for something that i do and will get a lot of pleasure out of imo.

mat.
As I always say we are all different and each to his/her own. Some people have great pleasure and get great satisfaction from modifying a car and making it different from the rest or making it suit their own driving style etc.

Why is it a waste of money if it’s something you enjoy? I think going out getting drunk on a Friday and Saturday night is a waste of money but its not if that’s what you enjoy doing. Who’s to say you would be better off getting a better car in the first place maybe that person likes that car to start with and just wants to put their stamp on it? Maybe that car suits their needs i.e. its practical affordable at the time running costs, doesn’t stand out too much the list is endless.

I didn’t think I'd spent much money on the car yet did a quick tot up and looking at a couple of the lists that have been put up I though oh I forgot that oh and that its amazing how all the little things add up over the years, and my car is pretty standard compared to most.
Mine will be roughly up to around the the 9k mark one about a month.

Still got about another 9 maybe 10 to spend untill I finish my project :roll:

What the feck am I doin.
I won't go into too much detail but lets just say that my sound system alone cost more than the highest ranked poll option.... :oops:

Yet I will say that it is completely each to their own, for me, it's the build up, the excitement of a new part arriving, having it fitted and then seeing the difference it makes (or doesn't make). Cars are my passion, and I blow every penny I earn on whatever I'm driving at the time because it's fun and change appeals to me as I get bored very easily and in hindsight I suffer very much from "the grass is always greener" so I'm forever chasing that something 'better'..

I have spent alot on my EP3 in the past year, and intend to spend alot more. Yet this time round I won't be making the same mistake I did with my last car (ie bodykits and the like) as you never make your money back. I was at my wits end when I sold my last car, it was such a niche machine that people didn't want to pay the asking price, so, after giving up, I sold it to a scrap yard to sell on for £1k even though I had spent nye on £20k on the damn thing!! At least with what I've done to the EP3 is just buy stuff that can be removed and have the OEM stuff put back so I can sell the car and mods seperately and hopefully not lose too much in the process..
TarmacNymph wrote:I won't go into too much detail but lets just say that my sound system alone cost more than the highest ranked poll option.... :oops:

Yet I will say that it is completely each to their own, for me, it's the build up, the excitement of a new part arriving, having it fitted and then seeing the difference it makes (or doesn't make). Cars are my passion, and I blow every penny I earn on whatever I'm driving at the time because it's fun and change appeals to me as I get bored very easily and in hindsight I suffer very much from "the grass is always greener" so I'm forever chasing that something 'better'..

I have spent alot on my EP3 in the past year, and intend to spend alot more. Yet this time round I won't be making the same mistake I did with my last car (ie bodykits and the like) as you never make your money back. I was at my wits end when I sold my last car, it was such a niche machine that people didn't want to pay the asking price, so, after giving up, I sold it to a scrap yard to sell on for £1k even though I had spent nye on £20k on the damn thing!! At least with what I've done to the EP3 is just buy stuff that can be removed and have the OEM stuff put back so I can sell the car and mods seperately and hopefully not lose too much in the process..
If i'd lost 19K on a car through modding it would keep me awake at night!
Omni wrote:
TarmacNymph wrote:I won't go into too much detail but lets just say that my sound system alone cost more than the highest ranked poll option.... :oops:

If i'd lost 19K on a car through modding it would keep me awake at night!
Im going have to agree, 19k?? Thats crazy. I get modding but never understood people who spend loads on their sound systems. A guy from uni spent £8,800 on his system, i mean what the feck, and he drove a P reg fiesta, again....what the feck???

Crazy people, they blast there music so the whole world can hear, but from crap cars, makes me laugh sometimes, you can see people on the street laughing, its insane.
Omni wrote:If i'd lost 19K on a car through modding it would keep me awake at night!
Oh believe me, I felt sick when I did it, and it angered me so much that I vouched never to make the same mistake again..
brucelee11271940 wrote:Im going have to agree, 19k?? Thats crazy. I get modding but never understood people who spend loads on their sound systems. A guy from uni spent £8,800 on his system, i mean what the feck, and he drove a P reg fiesta, again....what the feck???

Crazy people, they blast there music so the whole world can hear, but from crap cars, makes me laugh sometimes, you can see people on the street laughing, its insane.
I get what you're saying, but then I think having a good quality system is vital because I love music. But note that word, quality. Yes my system can be played at stupid volumes where you can feel the bass from 10feet away, but the clarity at lower volumes is what I have it for :smile: Loud is for showing off at ice meets lol
mat wrote:about 2700 so far, with plans for another 4000 or so...

i understand and agree completely with the comments about just buying another car, however, researching and tinkering with the car is my hobby, to some people it's an expensive hobby yes, but the joy it gives me is worth the price.

i've been doing loads of research to try and limit the amount of money that i spend, i have a finishing line set in my head for how i want the car which should take about another 3 years or so... then i'll move on to the next project!

7ish grand over 5 years is not a lot of money for something that i do and will get a lot of pleasure out of imo.

mat.

:lol:

i was mad! - i'd have got more pleasure if that money was still in my pocket!!!

just messing, car is sold now, never did finish it, but never mind.

mat.
mat wrote:

mat.

mat.

no regrets then?

can get quite addictive hey, when you get started...
Mines stock cosmetically, the only mods are performance related.

So the way I see it its the pounds over performance argument that makes the Type R so worth modding.

For example

Stock 2004 E46 M3 costs ~14k and performs well
Stock 2004 CTR costs ~5k and performs ok, add 4k of nasp engine upgrades or slap a 3k charger kit on and you have a car with a similar power to weight (or much greater if running a charger) with cheap hatchback running costs!
devil84 wrote:
mat wrote:

mat.

mat.

no regrets then?

can get quite addictive hey, when you get started...

too right,

regrets, yes, definitely! i regret buying new parts, could have saved a few grand and got the same results easily.

if i do it again it will be second-hand stylee, tbh i'll probably buy a pre-modified car from a forum such as this, the savings are awesome.

mat.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]