The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Got an discussion that needs a majority verdict? Put it to the vote.

So what is it?...Type R or R-GT?

I prefer the Type R
8%
I prefer the Type R-GT
38%
I've bought a Type R
5%
I've bought a Type R-GT
37%
I would never buy this car. Type R has lost the way.
12%
Just out of curiosity, I thought it could be interesting to see which model people prefer and given the choice what would they buy or did buy/order!

I don't do any serious stuff that would influence my decision based on the weight increase so for what you get for the 1000 quid price increase it has to be the GT every time.

:D
Last edited by fingery on Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By private
Ive voted but i would have liked a option of a "cup" or "traditional" type r, RR or whatever :D
By matt_mansfield_uk
VERY interesting results so far.

LOTS of guys cried on here that the new car shouldn't have all these gadgets and gizmos and should be more of a stripped out racer...

BUT it looks like the haters were wrong...

Honda HAVE done their market research, this thread proves it overwhelmingly with the massive preference for the GT model.
By Ali
matt_mansfield_uk wrote: BUT it looks like the haters were wrong...
Damn those Michael Jackson fans.... :wink:
By Snake Pliskin
The results so far are very encouraging.

I was begining to think a number of current CTR owners did not like the new CTR but that is not reflected in the results ( or they have not voted :lol: ) and clearly the GT is the favoured model .. you do get so much for your extra £1k though.

In either form it aint a stripped out Type R, so you might aswell have the extra gadgets, especially air-con, which will make everyday driving more comfortable.

Moving forward, Honda should release a full on stripped out bare essentials Type RR, for the hard-core enthusiast .. if that is what they "really" want .. judging by these results though, I am not so sure it really is ?

Interesting ...
By Harv
Typr R GT all day long, Unless they bring out a RR with less weight and more power.
By magical
I dont like the extras you get with the GT. Things like like xenon lights and upgraded sound system would have been better. I would rather spend the extra £1000 on the accessories like the bumpers IMO.
By hammer7128
i know its not a overall picture the poll, but shows that the type r gt will be the most ordered, perhaps people buying the standard type r could haggle and get a good price on theres.
By fingery
brigeae wrote:there is not weight increase between type r and the gt
Mistake in the brochure :wink:
By fingery
It's not just electrical....air con, fogs and and insulation around the glovebox are all phyical items that weigh in.
By CLB
So what is it?...Type R or R-GT?
I prefer the Type R-GT 57% [ 46 ]
I've bought a Type R-GT 20% [ 16 ]
Looks like Honda got it spot on for what the customer was after then...

Shame as I think 11% of people have got it spot on....
I would never buy this car. Type R has lost the way. 11% [ 9 ]
By matt_mansfield_uk
You've got to remember Honda are a business and they have to listen to their customers.

Thank god they have.
By Snake Pliskin
Well judging by those figues not many people have placed orders for new cars .. so you'd of thought our March 1st deliveries would have been safe :D
By private
I think its important to understand this result, this is based on what honda has decided to offer and mearly guages reaction to that, not if honda had asked WHAT would you buy from a clean sheet! :idea:
By MarcusTypeR
magical wrote:I dont like the extras you get with the GT. Things like like xenon lights and upgraded sound system would have been better. I would rather spend the extra £1000 on the accessories like the bumpers IMO.
Dont buy one then - simple - lol :D
By Vitz
No offence but you can't base your results soley on what this forum represents. I would say the majority of hot hatch owners are business men, from what I have seen, just starting out. Most of those people buy these cars for the BHP figure/comfort hence why Honda changed their Type-R ethos. Cant see the majority of these type of people being on this forum. But I would imagine alot of people will choose the Type-R GT as being honest their is not a huge increase in weight!!! Plus gives you a hell of alot for £1k, what did that buy you on the EP3...AC alone.

This is no longer an exclusive Type-R but neither was the EP3, it has moved on. It is still more track orientated than some of the rivals, ie NA engine, short grear ratios, and so on. But at the same time accomodates for people who want comfort. Surely halfway between the two is best? I know for sure the Type-R GT is the only hot hatch I want. It has lots of extras as well as being fast and lots of potential for mods, HOPEFULLY!

Just my 2 cents but Honda have made a car that can accomodate everyone, and since they are a business then fairplay. If people want a car that can be used everyday and is fairly fast the CTR tick every box for the price range. But if you want something more hardcore get an Elise or the Clio 182 :P.
By Dyls
At the moment I don't think this is the car for me. I just don't like the idea they have used the same engine as the current type r. Wouldn't surprise me if the current one is faster as well, but the problem is that the competitors have upped the stakes so much it doesn't have the same appeal as the 2001 model did.

However I might change my mind when I see one as I don't mind the looks, but at the moment I see me having a different model car next.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]