The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Got an discussion that needs a majority verdict? Put it to the vote.

So what is it?...Type R or R-GT?

I prefer the Type R
8%
I prefer the Type R-GT
38%
I've bought a Type R
5%
I've bought a Type R-GT
37%
I would never buy this car. Type R has lost the way.
12%
By magical
Dyls wrote:At the moment I don't think this is the car for me. I just don't like the idea they have used the same engine as the current type r. Wouldn't surprise me if the current one is faster as well, but the problem is that the competitors have upped the stakes so much it doesn't have the same appeal as the 2001 model did.

However I might change my mind when I see one as I don't mind the looks, but at the moment I see me having a different model car next.
Agree with you, this is what i think. Still think they should have used the JDM engine or the DC5 engine 220bhp, this would have made the car so much more appealing IMO.
By Craig225
If you guys truthfully aren't considering a new type r, then you wouldn't be here.
You are interested,so will keep checking this mini-site, probably take a test drive when one becomes available and read the reviews before making a final decision.

I can seriously see a lot of the purists changing their opinion if this car gets glowing reviews in the magazines and make a visit to their local Honda to test it.

The amount of hating posts has dried up since the guys were at Goodwood and, without revealing too much, gave positive feelings about the new car.
By sjw
Craig225 wrote:If you guys truthfully aren't considering a new type r, then you wouldn't be here.
Not true. I've no intention of going back to a front wheel drive car, but as a former EP3 owner I'm still interested in what Honda are doing. I'm interested, I'm just not interested in buying.
By private
Well im still considering a purchase, the trouble is the heart says buy, its new!, the head says, why? it will cost perhaps £13k + my EP3 CTR for what ?..in my case newness and climate! I can retro fit AC for less than a grand at a dealership, honda really have done little to really SELL me this car.
I posted on their official blog (have posted this before) what i was looking for, they have give me nowt, list price too high for equipment :

No recaros
No LSD
No HID
No more power

My head usually rules my heart.
By Craig225
Wait until you drive it then.

Might be much better than the EP3 to drive.
By Snake Pliskin
Craig225 wrote:Wait until you drive it then.

I reckon the "drive" will convince a lot of people to change :!:
By cloudy
Hi

I'm new to the forums

I have just ordered the 07 type r gt version in red, think it'll be great (or at least as good to drive as my rx8)
By Snake Pliskin
cloudy wrote:Hi

I'm new to the forums

I have just ordered the 07 type r gt version in red, think it'll be great (or at least as good to drive as my rx8)

Hi Cloudy !

Nice choice and I don't think you will be disappointed with your new wheels.

The RX8 is a great car and you are clearly into high revving engines.

I think you'll find the CTR to be more of screamer when you hit the vtec zone and for me thats exactly what makes the Type R so special ... the sound it makes is incredible.

You can now join the rest of us who are impatiently waiting for our new CTR's to arrive in March :twisted:
By cloudy
Hi Snake Pliskin thanks for the welcome

I test drove the old model back in 05 when i was looking for a new car and loved it, but i already had a civic sport at the time and knew that the new version would be out in nxt couple of years.

Really excited march just seems so far away!!!!
By Gstar
Snake Pliskin wrote:
Craig225 wrote:Wait until you drive it then.

I reckon the "drive" will convince a lot of people to change :!:
And ur talking from experiance?

i must admit the look of the car is growing on me a bit now but i still doubt ill ever have one
By private
This isnt worth a sticky now, its dead!
By shoRty73
Snake Pliskin wrote:
cloudy wrote:Hi

I'm new to the forums

Hi Cloudy !

Nice choice and I don't think you will be disappointed with your new wheels.

The RX8 is a great car and you are clearly into high revving engines.

I think you'll find the CTR to be more of screamer when you hit the vtec zone and for me thats exactly what makes the Type R so special ... the sound it makes is incredible.

You can now join the rest of us who are impatiently waiting for our new CTR's to arrive in March :twisted:
The RX8 will be a better car to drive as it drives from the right end!! Don't do it stick with the Mazda or get an S2K unless you have a passion for understeer?
By swisstony
the GT seems to be the favourite in my showroom purely on the air con i think, i also think that the GT will be more desireable from a resale point of view too ,

funny enough we have not had any enquiries about the S grade model , i wonder why ................

swiss
By private
Purely because honda have priced it at a point that is never likely to attract orders. £100 cheaper than a standard model yet removing several hundred pounds of kit.. bet honda never get or accept a order, hence why marketing prices start from £17600 not £17500!

I wouldnt mind betting the lead time on a S is such that they would not supply in a timely manner and quote silly lead times if someone was fool enough to order one!

Its the 1.4s eqivelent in the 5 door Range.. in short a farce!

It will not be built!!
By swisstony
private wrote:Purely because honda have priced it at a point that is never likely to attract orders. £100 cheaper than a standard model yet removing several hundred pounds of kit.. bet honda never get or accept a order, hence why marketing prices start from £17600 not £17500!

I wouldnt mind betting the lead time on a S is such that they would not supply in a timely manner and quote silly lead times if someone was fool enough to order one!

Its the 1.4s eqivelent in the 5 door Range.. in short a farce!

It will not be built!!
on the honda ordering screen it shows 20 weeks for any S grade model
By crisso
I stand corrected but, thought both R models come with aircon, it's just that the GT has dual-zone climate?

I am surprised that the R doesn't come with xenon headlights, especially since they are an option (HID?) on the five door version. (Incidentally, not even an option on the S type.)
By jimmy type-r
i've bought the type-r gt, i used to have the old shape non air con version and i got bored of it within 3 months, no toys, and boiling hot in the summer i'm hoping that the new one with the extra gadgets will amuse me for a while!!

didn't go for the sat nav one as i couldn't see the point in paying £1400 extra when i can get a decent tom tom type thing for £250 much as i hate them, i prefer the in dash type as i have in both my hyundai coupe and the wifes c2, both alpine, both great
By Killer
You clearly havent driven one then, i got rid of my RX8 230 for a GT it's that good. Spin your baseball cap round to face the front and forget the old Type R. :twisted:
By kingofdbrits
Snake Pliskin wrote:The results so far are very encouraging.

I was begining to think a number of current CTR owners did not like the new CTR but that is not reflected in the results ( or they have not voted :lol: ) and clearly the GT is the favoured model .. you do get so much for your extra £1k though.

In either form it aint a stripped out Type R, so you might aswell have the extra gadgets, especially air-con, which will make everyday driving more comfortable.

Moving forward, Honda should release a full on stripped out bare essentials Type RR, for the hard-core enthusiast .. if that is what they "really" want .. judging by these results though, I am not so sure it really is ?

Interesting ...
Honda are apparently planning to release a stripped out version soon with no aircon, stereo etc, but with a saving of only 40kg they expect demand to be low. read this some where so may be bull.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]