The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Got an discussion that needs a majority verdict? Put it to the vote.

So what is it?...Type R or R-GT?

I prefer the Type R
8%
I prefer the Type R-GT
38%
I've bought a Type R
5%
I've bought a Type R-GT
37%
I would never buy this car. Type R has lost the way.
12%
By byredyre
Hi, new to the forum. I finally have concrete plans of getting myself a real "street racer". Back in 2004 I was close to buying an Accord R, but had to go for the new Accord Tourer because of two little kids. My choice now stands between S2000 or Civic R GT, but because the Civic is more convenient and costs less (about £37000 vs about £50000) and I have a family I think it will be the Civic.

PS. I know those prices are "hilarious", but that`s the "price" to pay when ironically living in one of the richest countries in the world. Would you dare to guess which one?
By armagedon
I have a type R GT + GPS + Bluetoof.

Just check the weight : 1355 kg with the fuel tank full.

Seems it's a +85kg with the standard R. It's a big difference !
By -=Stella Artois=-
byredyre wrote:Hi, new to the forum. I finally have concrete plans of getting myself a real "street racer". Back in 2004 I was close to buying an Accord R, but had to go for the new Accord Tourer because of two little kids. My choice now stands between S2000 or Civic R GT, but because the Civic is more convenient and costs less (about £37000 vs about £50000) and I have a family I think it will be the Civic.

PS. I know those prices are "hilarious", but that`s the "price" to pay when ironically living in one of the richest countries in the world. Would you dare to guess which one?
UAE area Im guessing
By paul typeR
fingery wrote:It's not just electrical....air con, fogs and and insulation around the glovebox are all phyical items that weigh in.
The non GT has air con as standard too, it just isn't dual zone. That's why I went for the GT, I am a known air con hater but if you have no choice you may as well go for the higher spec car. For re sale value if nothing else.
Weight gain between models will be minimal as the only extra weight would be the extra side impact bags and some extra wires.
I am a bit peeved at Honda taking the edge of the R car but it still is more radical than it's current competition and I think that is something they will always aim for.
All those who specified air con and tinted rear windows/different trim in the front from the rear (why, it only looks like a sporty van if you do, especially NHB with dark rear windows and light front) only have themselves to blame for the downfall of the R badge.
I will miss my non-air-con EP3, I am sure I will learn to love my FN2 as much as well though.

On another note, did they specify the weight difference between the air con in the EP3s and the fact the the pre facelift would have been lighter as well due to thinner windows and other more extreme weight loss measures.
I bet a late EP3 with air-con probably isn't that much lighter than an FN2. 100kg maybe, nothing a good diet wouldn't help(in my case).
Anyone tried putting the two on a weighbridge?
By thorpe1
paul typeR wrote:
fingery wrote:It's not just electrical....air con, fogs and and insulation around the glovebox are all phyical items that weigh in.
The non GT has air con as standard too,
No it does not
By paul typeR
thorpe1 wrote:
Paul typeR wrote:
fingery wrote:It's not just electrical....air con, fogs and and insulation around the glovebox are all physical items that weigh in.
The non GT has air con as standard too,
No it does not
I guess I was misinformed, I really will hate my FN2 Civic now. I am sure I will get over it though.
07-type-r wrote:For only £1000 less, I don't know why Honda bothered with the base model Type R.

Spending the extra grand for GT spec is a bit of a no-brainer.
Which is exactly what Autocar have said in the last edition when they took delivery of their GT FN2. :thumbup:

EvoStu.
07-type-r wrote:For only £1000 less, I don't know why Honda bothered with the base model Type R.

Everybody has different needs. I personally dont need to have things switched on for me and for the three hots days of summer that we have I'll put up with opening a window or two :wink: Mind you I still even see electic windows as an unnessary 'extra' :lol:

You pay your money you take your choice, hence I have ordered a standard R. I've saved long and hard to get another CTR, I feel that the it would be a complete waste for me to pay out an extra £1000 for a bunch of gizmo's that I don't need or desire.I am thinking that I will fully appreciate that 'saved' £1000 further down the line when it comes to modding :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I feel that it's a no brainer not to fully think out what you actually need from a car. Like I said, everybody is different......
Freakboyfaz wrote:

Everybody has different needs. I personally dont need to have things switched on for me and for the three hots days of summer that we have I'll put up with opening a window or two :wink: Mind you I still even see electic windows as an unnessary 'extra' :lol:

You pay your money you take your choice, hence I have ordered a standard R. I've saved long and hard to get another CTR, I feel that the it would be a complete waste for me to pay out an extra £1000 for a bunch of gizmo's that I don't need or desire.I am thinking that I will fully appreciate that 'saved' £1000 further down the line when it comes to modding :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I feel that it's a no brainer not to fully think out what you actually need from a car. Like I said, everybody is different......
I get it, needs -v- wants. Each to their own.

Enjoy those hot summer days :wink:
07-type-r wrote:Enjoy those hot summer days :wink:
I will do...... if they get here :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though I have never had air con on any car I have owned so I never miss it [smilie=happydance.gif]
I!!!This is my very first post here, I'm Wildchild, from Milano Italy!!!...I've bought CTR last Tuesday, I'm waiting for it!!!

Here in Italy there isn't R o R-GT choise, only model are:

Type-R Race: without stereo, AC, less weight, etc
Type-R: Like yours R-GT, with Xeno, Dual AC etc
Type-R i-Pilot: same as R-GT but with navigation system (i-Pilot)

I've bought the Type-R version because there is 2.000euro difference for the i-Pilot versione and I already have my TomTom navigator on my pocketpc!!!
By Durzel
matt_mansfield_uk wrote:VERY interesting results so far.

LOTS of guys cried on here that the new car shouldn't have all these gadgets and gizmos and should be more of a stripped out racer...

BUT it looks like the haters were wrong...

Honda HAVE done their market research, this thread proves it overwhelmingly with the massive preference for the GT model.
Well that's one way of spinning it. If only all manufacturers could claim "massive sales" on the basis of ~500 votes on a subforum dedicated to the new model.

I voted "would not buy" (obviously) but if I had to choose I'd obviously go for the GT. For the difference in price and eventual residuals it's not worth considering the non-GT imo, unless you're absolutely desperate to get into an FN2. Look at how lack of aircon hurt people selling EP3s, and with the FN2 you get even more for your ~£1k extra. If it was £2k or more between the cars I'd agree there was something to think about, but as has already been remarked at only £1k difference its a no-brainer to get the GT.

For me I can easily see GT residuals being more than £1k higher than non-GT, people expect aircon nowadays - especially in a £18k+ car.
As we are only offered a version similar to the R-GT I don't think my vote is required. But it is interesting to note that here a car without aircon is a rarety so when we walk in to a dealership we expect air-con. Duel zone (in this price range) is almost the standard now.
By clima, you mean climate control?
Dealer will be able to reto fit AC on non-GT models, but not sure if this AC is climate controlled or not. It won't be dual zone though - no controls on passenger's side.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]