The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Got an discussion that needs a majority verdict? Put it to the vote.

So what is it?...Type R or R-GT?

I prefer the Type R
8%
I prefer the Type R-GT
38%
I've bought a Type R
5%
I've bought a Type R-GT
37%
I would never buy this car. Type R has lost the way.
12%
cobras wrote:I mean climate or if not possible then air con..I need the air con for 3 months at least cause we have long summer.. so is it possible to have the standard edition with air contition?
No. The Type R doesn't come with air con/climate control. Only the GT does (it has dual zone climate control).

You may be able to retrofit air con to the standard Type R at a later date, but you're probably better off ordering the Type R GT in the first place and getting all the other stuff to for just £1000.
I think its a case of if you can afford the extra grand for the GT then the majority of people will take it. Just purely for the extra gadgets. Why not? Its like turning down free money.

First 1K done on the motor, and loving it.
On the EP3 the dealers were quoting over a grand to fit air con if you wanted it, so you might as well spend that grand from th off on a GT. That way you get your air con, and a few other extra's besides. And as was said earlier, you will probably benefit when you come to sell it from the higher residual value.
In the used market the GT will probably be worth in real monetary terms about 500pounds more than a standard R. This will therefore drive more people to spend that extra 500 to get all the extras that are offered with the GT, hence this will push the price of the standard R further down as no one will really want it unless its significantly cheaper.
You get the HID headlights for that price. I've read somewhere it would cost around £800 if we want Honda to fit them here in the UK. So who has a better deal now?
When i first visited this forum i voted that i preffered the GT... now i actually bought the GT and i doubt ill regret it.

The extra gadgets are great to have in a car you drive on a daily basis, perhaps the R is a bit better on the track. But two/three trackdays a year doesnt make it worth it to me. Guess it is to anyone that frequently visit the track though.
By gor7don
Dyls wrote:At the moment I don't think this is the car for me. I just don't like the idea they have used the same engine as the current type r. Wouldn't surprise me if the current one is faster as well, but the problem is that the competitors have upped the stakes so much it doesn't have the same appeal as the 2001 model did.

However I might change my mind when I see one as I don't mind the looks, but at the moment I see me having a different model car next.
I have just picked up my new CTR after waiting on it for 6 months,I traded in my EP3 and i can tell you the new car is far better in every aspect.Don`t think about buying this car just get your name on the waiting list,you won`t be dissapointed.
By gor7don
Craig225 wrote:Wait until you drive it then.

Might be much better than the EP3 to drive.
I have had a EP3 in the past but now drive the new CTR gt and the new car is a far better car.
Having just bought myself a "normal" R, they are your words, not mine, I really wish that I had bought the R-GT, now that I have found this site and read a few topics. The extra grand wasn't the deciding factor, it was the dealers lack of product knowledge that sold me the "normal". He told me the only difference were the foglights, cruise control, aircon and folding mirrors :bad-words:

I have now seen the rest of the bits and bobs that you get with an R-GT and I want to run him down ! At the time I thought aircon and cruise I could live without, had them on my FR-V Sport and hardly used them, folding mirrors I now miss, especially when putting car in garage, but the fogs are a bit different as I really want them fitted cos it finishes the look off, and I thought I ain't paying a grand extra just for the fogs............

The only saving grace really was that I went to the dealers on Tuesday 28th August, had test drive, asked him about delivery and he said ".....2 a month blah blah blah...and I just ordered from Decembers allocation...BUT I got a silver one out there that we shouldn't have, so don't ask" (????). So the deal was done and I picked it up on Sat.1st Sept....4 days later with only 3 miles on clock ! :WOOT

NVM eh....at least I got myself an R...................even if it is "normal" :oops:

P.S. Is it just me or does anyone else keep bouncing it off the limiter in 2nd ?
Hixbravo, try a bit harder you should be bouncing off the rev limiter 1,2,3,4,5......only if you feel the need!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
I got the GT(in June) as I had the EP3 before and the extra gadgets were a big plus piont. I got the GT in the deep bronze looks pretty cool in the sunlight have had other ctr owners stop to look at it as it is quite a rare colour up here in Scotland.Hope you are enjoying your ctr as you cannot beat the sound of the car when you have a good old thrash around the country roads sticking to the speed limit of course.
I've ordered the normal Type-R as I could not see the value for me in getting the GT pack (I don't like build in GPS screens - think they look untidy - and would never use the bluetooth function anyway). As for the climate control, the car does have manually adjusted air conditioning. A lot of people seem to think it doesn't, but when I test drove a normal Type-R it was right there on the dash, and the dealer also assured me that it comes with manual air conditioning.
johnrosk wrote:Collected our Type R GT last week :-D This is our first Honda & we are very impressed. The power delivery is so smooth.
Collected mine last week. First Honda too and totally agree :thumbup:

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]