The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Information, speculation and anything else specifically related to Civic Type R FK2 (2015 onwards)
By EvoStu
blimpuk wrote:Hi All,

just some info for everyone....

just wanted to say i had TDI box fitted and got it on and interdependent Dyno (http://www.hayesdynotech.co.uk/)

I got 341BHP i happy with this but will be interesting to see if anyone has one and if they had a Dyno and what they got?

https://tdi-tuning.com/car/honda/civic/ ... g-box-chip
And yet they claim 367bhp. Interesting.
By sparkysp
EvoStu wrote:
blimpuk wrote:Hi All,

just some info for everyone....

just wanted to say i had TDI box fitted and got it on and interdependent Dyno (http://www.hayesdynotech.co.uk/)

I got 341BHP i happy with this but will be interesting to see if anyone has one and if they had a Dyno and what they got?

https://tdi-tuning.com/car/honda/civic/ ... g-box-chip
And yet they claim 367bhp. Interesting.

that probably with is maxed out on level 7 some poeple run these at lower levels to just give abit more power
By GTR Racer
Am I right in thinking all these things seem to do is adjust your fuel amount an generally just overfuel?
By EvoStu
GTR Racer wrote:Am I right in thinking all these things seem to do is adjust your fuel amount an generally just overfuel?
Pretty much. They're certainly not a very good solution on the FK2. TDI North (nothing to do with this company selling these) have recently removed one from a customers car due it causing it to go into limp mode.

The FK2 is setup so securely that the sensors have sensors monitoring them. Anything remotely outside the ECU's set parameters and it will simply go into shutdown.
By Dragonfall
People spend their hard earned money on what they like and treat their how however they wish .... not for me to judge.

Personally I would feel extremely uncomfortable fitting a device that is based around fooling sensor readings to increase power output. The FK2 Type R isn't a £15k hot hatch and I dread to think of the repair bill if the engine went 'pop' due to these sensor fooling boxes.
By EvoStu
Dragonfall wrote:People spend their hard earned money on what they like and treat their how however they wish .... not for me to judge.

Personally I would feel extremely uncomfortable fitting a device that is based around fooling sensor readings to increase power output. The FK2 Type R isn't a £15k hot hatch and I dread to think of the repair bill if the engine went 'pop' due to these sensor fooling boxes.
Could not agree more.
By blimpuk
no not at all my fuel levels are the same as a standard, just to note tdi-tuning are the only company doing this for the fk2 because they spent the time developing it.

i did loads of research on this before putting it on. im not saying its for everyone but if you do not want to lose your warranty this is the next best thing to taking apart your ECU.
By sparkysp
EvoStu wrote:
Dragonfall wrote:People spend their hard earned money on what they like and treat their how however they wish .... not for me to judge.

Could not agree more.
its the rock and the hard place you break the seals on the ecu and totally void warranty no come back you fit one of these boxes and its removable to its up to honda to prove you had one not so clear cut then
all setting go back to the ecu so you cant pop an engine to so speak the K20 is one of the strongest engines i know with the turks getting 450 bhp (i dont know how yet still trying to find a spec sheet)
all safeties are still in place on the ecu the worst that can happen is you get a error code
the boxes are made by German and English engineers and if your going to tell me they have just threw something together then i know your talking sh-t

this is far from the days of shoving a resistor in the MAF to over fuel a dibas mainfold on a corsa

Added in 10 minutes 31 seconds:
Re: TDI-Tuning FYI
GTR Racer wrote:Am I right in thinking all these things seem to do is adjust your fuel amount an generally just overfuel?
no they control boost and fuel via rpm the its latest box from TDI tunning for the FK2 i bought one but had probs fitting it so took it back off but tdi have linked a video now which makes it so easy to get to never thought of going that way and will attempt another fittment at a later date when i get some time off work and a decent sunday

cheers stu ...
By Dragonfall
Not arguing but my belief is:

Our ECU is locked down and cannot be live mapped. I'm told certain files can be overwritten on the ecu and this is what the Stage 1 maps do.
I believe the respected ecu tuners like Hondata have given up and going to concerntrate on the FK8 as the ecu isn't locked down.

If the presets and parameters on the FK2 ecu cannot be changed without over-writing files ...... the tuning boxes can only fool or interfere with signals to change given parameters. I'm told that changing voltage/resistances values on sensors fools the ecu pre-set vaules into producing the extra power.
The boxes do the fooling and manipulating in a very complex and controlled manner, my concern is that the manipulation of values may prevent an ecu seeing potentially damaging situation. Maybe limp mode kicks in when the extreme of manipulated values exceeds all it presets values?

Just my personal feeling. :Smile:
By sparkysp
i see where your coming from but to just say there aload of crap without actually trying them and running them on a rollng road is shortsightedness like you say every tuner is going FK8 now and the market for the FK2 upgrades are going to be limited unless emerald do something which no one going to take up unless out of warranty
the feeling of being sold a puppy comes to mind be hey i have a limited edition type R turbo which is rare and people still take photos of it if im on car parks i don't know what the production run of the new FK8 going to be but more than 5000 i guess
By Dragonfall
I think these boxes for Diesel engines that are tuned down so far for economy and emissions are fine.

I have one friend who buys camper vans based on the Fiat Ducato(i think) chasis and gets whoever supplies them new to fit tuning boxes like yours.
He uses the settings for economy on the long auto barn runs and then turns them right up for the mountain roads. He has run hundreds of thousands of miles in the last 15 years in various camper vans (without issue) and swears by them.

I don't think they're crap personally just would make me nervous on a Type R, but then again I'm known for not taking any risks.

In the last 1/2 hour I've just had my hands on a pre-production 210mm wide carbon fibre cone intake kit for the FK2. Its an absolute monster and will be roughly half the price of an Eventuri. bet interesting to see how it developes and performs.
By sparkysp
Dragonfall wrote:I think these boxes for Diesel engines that are tuned down so far for economy and emissions are fine.

I have one friend who buys camper vans based on the Fiat Ducato(i think) chasis and gets whoever supplies them new to fit tuning boxes like yours.
He uses the settings for economy on the long auto barn runs and then turns them right up for the mountain roads. He has run hundreds of thousands of miles in the last 15 years in various camper vans (without issue) and swears by them.

I don't think they're crap personally just would make me nervous on a Type R, but then again I'm known for not taking any risks.

In the last 1/2 hour I've just had my hands on a pre-production 210mm wide carbon fibre cone intake kit for the FK2. Its an absolute monster and will be roughly half the price of an Eventuri. bet interesting to see how it developes and performs.

wow lucky man the 210mm sounds fantastic and at half the price of a eventuri id be very interested in seeing that in action
By Martty b
I have used TDI tuning for many years and have been very happy with them.
I was the first person to get it fitted on the type r and have spent many hours with them fine tuning.
I Think it's money well spent

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]