The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Information, speculation and anything else specifically related to Civic Type R FK2 (2015 onwards)
Hi guys, just wondered if anyone could assist or had experienced the same sort of noise on their Civic Type R FK2.

Basically, i have noticed on my FK2 when all windows are up, a small tapping/rattling noise, mostly noticeable in 1st,2nd,3rd during 2500rpms to 3000rpm, which seems to emit from the front of the car/engine bay.

If i have a steady foot around those rpms and ever so slightly decelerate, i can hear the above mentioned tapping/rattling noise. Not hugely loud, but I can notice it.

I have been back to Honda and the technician was very helpful and went out for a long test drive in the car with me. We did notice it at one stage during driving, he advised me that the engine can be quite tappy and sounded like vtec noise related during low rpms.

Ive kept an eye on oil levels etc during ownership and all has been great. The car hasn't used much oil at all really, been very good all around. Also it has been for a recent annual service at Honda back at the end of March.

Just thought id come on here and see if anyone else had noticed a similar noise on their FK2 for peace of mind :)

Any help and advice is much appreciated.

Regards

Ash
Typer_16 wrote:Hi thanks for your response.

March 23rd Honda did a full annual service and changed the oil and filter etc.

Would that have any effect bud?
it uses the oil pressure to switch over the cams to v-tec mode hence dirty oil clogs the small filter that lets the oil pass to change modes
i always change my oil every 6k and pay the extra for it (£150 which is not bad for an oil and new filter ) just to be on the safe side

Added in 2 minutes 2 seconds:
Typer_16 wrote:**BUMP** Anyone else advise on this?

Any help appreciated :)
loose cover some where try nipping the screws up to see if something hasnt come loose
cheers stu ..
Thank you for the response. It could possibly be something rubbing/rattling.

Just sounds a bit tappy sometimes when keeping around 30mph and then easeing off say to 29mph. That's when I hear the noise.

May take down to Honda tomorrow just to confirm and see what they think.

Apart from this, no other noises when idle etc and car drives fine and really pulls well. Oil level is also very good, just checked a few days ago.

Can anyone else advise on this noise?

I know others with previous gen type rs have experienced a similar noise at some rev range.
I had a ticking noise, around 2500rpm, it's when the engine is vibrating at its most, I can tell because when I look in the rear view mirror it's blurry because of the vibration. It turned out to be the smaller vents on top of the wheels arches had come a bit loose, I gave them a bit of a wiggle and it clicked, noise disappeared

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]