The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Information, speculation and anything else specifically related to Civic Type R FK2 (2015 onwards)
By eastsoutheast
I have now lived with my new Type R for a month. I commute 75 miles into and out of central London daily and no car has driven me as mad on my commute as the Type R. It throws me about as I slowly navigate the speed bumps and rough roads. I probably take an extra 15 minutes each way to creep over the speed bumps and poor road surfaces.

The tyres have 4mm left after 1700 miles and this is following a wet period so hardly taxing on tyre wear.

I have some rattles that I have never accepted on any car I have purchased in the last 2 years (have rejected 2 due to unfixable rattles in the last 18 months).

However,

I absolutely love this car and look forward to going for a drive as often as possible just for enjoyment (like I used to on my motorbike). What a great car. I took out a 3 year PCP with an agreed mileage of 12k per year, fast approaching 2k within the 1st month and that's before summer when it will be even more fun.

I am going to fit Goodyear AS3's when my fronts need replacing and whilst it's going to be at stupidly low mileage I am treating the factory fit tyres the same as the starter ink you get with printers nowadays - stops me being disappointed with the wear rates.

Looking forward to some subtle mods, Remus valvetronic exhaust first followed by a bigger inter cooler and re map once its a year old (will change insurance company after 1st year).

Great car great car great car

Cheers All
Brian
By WoodyzR
Strange how tyre wear differs, must be a combination of road surfaces and driving styles.

Had mine checked today and I've 4mm left on the fronts and I'm on 4900 miles and the car is a year old this coming Wednesday!
By eastsoutheast
4800 in a year, I reckon I am going to hit 25k in my first year unless I can stop myself from driving it! At this rate my pcp limit will be up in 16 months so could prove expensive.

I wonder what it would be worth with 75k miles @ 3 years old as I will likely have to buy it at the end or pay a very high excess mileage fee!
By dweezle
My contis were changed around 3-4k, I found the tyres were really chewed from the centre inwards, they looked fine when looking straight on
By WoodyzR
Strange with the Conti's dweezle, I've my service tomorrow so I thought let's get them checked at my local tyre guys (ETS)

They were 4mm across both fronts, checked in 3 places - outer, centre and inner.

Interesting to if Honda tell me anything different tomorrow!

I use mine as a daily driver, but it's only 9 miles to work, so 18 miles per day and all nice smooth B roads.
By dweezle
The only reason mine were changed was due to my back end twitching on a known car spinning roundabout (next to a bp so diesel spills) I had a big detail coming up so thought I'd change them.
It was the mobile tyre fitter that showed me them, 1 rear had a rivet in it, the fronts were chewed up & pitted in stones. I took delivery in July so had the summer of "hooning" I'm in the countryside so any commute for me is twisty B rds
By tompoyntz
eastsoutheast wrote:4800 in a year, I reckon I am going to hit 25k in my first year unless I can stop myself from driving it! At this rate my pcp limit will be up in 16 months so could prove expensive.

I wonder what it would be worth with 75k miles @ 3 years old as I will likely have to buy it at the end or pay a very high excess mileage fee!
You only pay a penalty on going over the mileage limit if you want to hand the car back and walk away at the end of your current PCP.
If you buy the car or swap it for another car on PCP, then there's no mileage penalty.
By eastsoutheast
I also have the option with Honda finance to pay lump sums off the GFV. This would be a good idea as the alternative option with HF is to use lump sum payments to reduce monthly payments. This means I don't actually pay off any of the outstanding capitol which is not what I would choose to do. Thinking £1000 per quarter meaning I would only owe £3000 in 3 years giving me a large chunk towards a new one or a cheap car @ 3 years old.

Anyone know what the following mods would release BHP and Torque? I would not want to go mad as longevity is important.

Sports cat
Bigger downpipe
Remus or similar exhaust system (like the idea of a quiet car on the commute)
Intercooler upgrade
Re-map

Thanks
Brian
By dweezle
Remus pedal box & a non traceable tuning box will see you around 340-350.
An actual remap on these at the moment means cracking open your ECU & that means a big fat VOID on your warranty.
A chap over on civinfo has been running both since last yr & highly recommends both, he's very knowledgeable with mods
By DAN@ADRIAN FLUX
eastsoutheast wrote:I have now lived with my new Type R for a month. I commute 75 miles into and out of central London daily and no car has driven me as mad on my commute as the Type R. It throws me about as I slowly navigate the speed bumps and rough roads. I probably take an extra 15 minutes each way to creep over the speed bumps and poor road surfaces.

The tyres have 4mm left after 1700 miles and this is following a wet period so hardly taxing on tyre wear.

I have some rattles that I have never accepted on any car I have purchased in the last 2 years (have rejected 2 due to unfixable rattles in the last 18 months).

However,

I absolutely love this car and look forward to going for a drive as often as possible just for enjoyment (like I used to on my motorbike). What a great car. I took out a 3 year PCP with an agreed mileage of 12k per year, fast approaching 2k within the 1st month and that's before summer when it will be even more fun.

I am going to fit Goodyear AS3's when my fronts need replacing and whilst it's going to be at stupidly low mileage I am treating the factory fit tyres the same as the starter ink you get with printers nowadays - stops me being disappointed with the wear rates.

Looking forward to some subtle mods, Remus valvetronic exhaust first followed by a bigger inter cooler and re map once its a year old (will change insurance company after 1st year).

Great car great car great car

Cheers All
Brian
Hi,
When you're ready in you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.
By tomwillie
dweezle wrote:My contis were changed around 3-4k, I found the tyres were really chewed from the centre inwards, they looked fine when looking straight on
This type of wear can be caused by straddling speed humps & not slowing down. Can be avoided by slowing down & driving over humps with one wheel on centre. I try to alternate the wheel on the hump.
By dweezle
It's living in the countryside with nothing but B rds :) the amount of stones pitted in them was unreal, the tyre fitter was surprised in the short life
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]