The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Information, speculation and anything else specifically related to Civic Type R FK2 (2015 onwards)
Hey guys,

So about less than 2 weeks ago, I took ownership of my brand new Honda Civic Type R GT.

Awesome car and really loving it.

However, over the past week now driving it more frequently, I have noticed two things with the car that I am concerned about and wondered if anyone could kindly advise.

So here are my two concerns/questions:

1) Firstly I have a strange burning smell emitting from the car after driving long distances. Haven't even pushed the car yet as I am getting used to it still. I just get a burning smell every time I am parked up. Rang Honda and they stated that it was everything breaking in. Exhaust coatings, engine coatings etc. Smells almost like burning plastic or metals.

2) I know everything is still wearing in, but on occasion when the clucth is depressed/let off, I can feel a gritty sensation through the clucth pedal. Feels almost like sand paper I guess. Has anyone experienced this with a new car or even better a Honda?

Any help with the above would be greatly appreciated for peace of mind.
Thanks for your input.

Good to know about the burning smell.

Best I can describe my clutch is that sometimes when I release the pedal after being depressed, I get a slight vibration, rough feeling through the clutch pedal itself.

Almost as if I'm feeling the engine through the clucth pedal I guess. It just feels a bit strange compared to other cars I drive.

Seems to happen at slower speeds when the clutch is pushed in and let out. Feels like rubbing sandpaper, as if there's friction.
Thanks for the reply. Glad it's not just me going mad then.

Reason I got the type r was for daily driving and reliability. Just want it to be right, after spending the last 2 years building my supra. Lots of pain and effort lol.

Got the car booked in with local Honda tomorrow Friday, they were more than happy to inspect it and will let me test drive another type r to see if it feels the same.

If it's the same pedal feel than fair enough I can live with it. Will update your tomorrow evening on that.
Hi guys,

Sorry for such a late response been ill with flu for the past week.

So following up from my concerns with the clutch feel and burning smells.

I visited Honda again the other weekender booking an appointment so that my type r could be checked over.

Must say I was impressed with the service provided by the Honda technician.

Really nice guy and understood my concerns straight away.

The tech had driven quite a few new type rs around track so knew what he was talking about.

He firstly test drove my car and advised me that the clutch was acting as normal and the reason.for it feeling different was due it being a dual.plate clutch, which takes time to get used to. Also the clutch will ease up after a few hundred miles are covered.

With regards to the burning smells. This is due to coatings on the engine components and exhaust and brakes. Everything is wearing in, so expect to smell burning for upto 1000miles. Should die down after.

So all in all really happy withheld result and if any owners experience burning smells or find the clutch feel odd. It is all normal.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]