The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Information, speculation and anything else specifically related to Civic Type R FK2 (2015 onwards)
By thegodplato
I've just joined on here because my wife's new Type R is making a strange noise on full lock. Yes, I did say my wife!!1 Lucky girl!!

Basically, when we drop off the drive onto the road and the wheel is on full lock there is quite a loud thumping noise from the wheels as if something is catching. Only seems to do it when you come of the kerb and not when the car is flat ( and on full lock ). In fact I'm just wondering if its because the car is so stiff and maybe the inside rear wheel is still up the drive/kerb/path as the noise does seem to come from the front left when the rear right might still be on the kerb, if you know what I mean?
We've had it back to Honda and they say nothing wrong.
Mind you they also said the indicator stalk is working fine even though it doesn't turn off all the time which is a bit frustrating.
Has anyone else had these problems?

Car has only done 1200miles and we've had a bad stone chip on the front bumper thats gone straight through the paint which is disappointing.

Apart from that she is well happy with it.
By Dan_
I get the noise from the tyres as well on full lock like they're been dragged - I think it's the limited slip diff locking the diff.
By veehexx
i had a dodgy indicator stalk, felt like a bit of rough plastic that made it catch between one-touch and locked sometimes making it not always cancel or feel a bit dodgy going into position.
not had any issues over the last month (around 500 mile) and forgot i even had it so i guess whatever it was has now worn off and no longer causing problems. was one of those annoying things that happened every 10th use or so..
By FletchUK
I get a horrible knocking noise too.

It tends to only be when full-lock to the right, but it has recently started doing it before I reach full-lock. It's like a proper thump, thump, thump coming from the front left.

I took it back to Honda a couple of weeks ago and they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Sods law had it that I couldn't get the thumping noise to happen whilst on their car park as it only tends to do it from cold.

It only started doing it in December (had the car mid November), after I took it back to have the steering realigned.

Also, my indicator stalk tends to cancel earlier when indicating right at an island. It's the initial left that cancels it.
By Vissa
Welcome to a car with a proper slip diff. That's the sound you hear when going full lock. Sometimes you can also feel it like a bump/hump.

Completely normal though.
By thegodplato
The noise is `normal`? Surely not.

Added in 29 minutes 14 seconds:
Here you go, 2 vids from my wife leaving for work this morning. You can't really hear it from the external vid but it is there at the end if you listen carefully ( oh and yes, the guards in front of the wheels do catch when the car gets onto the road - grr ). The internal vid sounds like someone is thumping the side of the car!!

External - https://www.dropbox.com/s/37yr6t5z8mfwm ... 3.mp4?dl=0
Internal - https://www.dropbox.com/s/n0e91soceoyn8 ... 6.mp4?dl=0

Any more thoughts?

Added in 26 minutes 15 seconds:
Here you go, 2 vids from my wife leaving for work this morning. You can't really hear it from the external vid but it is there at the end if you listen carefully ( oh and yes, the guards in front of the wheels do catch when the car gets onto the road - grr ). The internal vid sounds like someone is thumping the side of the car!!

External - https://www.dropbox.com/s/37yr6t5z8mfwm ... 3.mp4?dl=0
Internal - https://www.dropbox.com/s/n0e91soceoyn8 ... 6.mp4?dl=0

Any more thoughts?
By Vissa
I have the same sound / thumping now and then. I already went back to Honda and got told that it's the diff and it's normal.

I must say, my J VXR did the exact same thing, but also had a high whining noise to go with it. Also was the slip diff.
By thegodplato
A quick update. Having had the Honda Service Manager visit our house to witness the knocking when the car comes off the drive, my wife is dropping it off tonight and collecting the dealerships brand new Type R demo to bring home to see if the same thing happens. Tomorrow the Service Manager is calling round to see if it is still happening. He is not happy about how much the outer wheel shakes when the noise occurs.
As an observation, it does seem to only occur when the car is cold.
Whether this is right or not due to the diff, I cannot help but cringe when it does happen as its so loud and the vibration makes you think the wheel might fall off.
Lets see what happens!
By Vissa
thegodplato wrote:A quick update. Having had the Honda Service Manager visit our house to witness the knocking when the car comes off the drive, my wife is dropping it off tonight and collecting the dealerships brand new Type R demo to bring home to see if the same thing happens. Tomorrow the Service Manager is calling round to see if it is still happening. He is not happy about how much the outer wheel shakes when the noise occurs.
As an observation, it does seem to only occur when the car is cold.
Whether this is right or not due to the diff, I cannot help but cringe when it does happen as its so loud and the vibration makes you think the wheel might fall off.
Lets see what happens!
Keep us posted what they find!
By dweezle
Its the joys of low profile tyres, mine does it 1st thing in the morning as I'm pulling out.
When we had minus temps it was that bad I thought I had a puncture, its just the tyre reseating itself
By veehexx
i dont think it's tyre related.
mine has pad-knock for the first application, but it's seems very obvious it's brake related and put it down to the cold temps where clearances are a bit too roomy causing slight pad movement in the carrier. No where near the loudness of those videos, and it only does it once for the first application so probably not the same as you guys.

Added in 5 minutes 55 seconds:
just had another listen to those videos. i'd go with CV joint or diff related in that order
Last edited by veehexx on Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Vissa
I just drove home and it's the first time I had it so bad it was present at every sharp corner I took. So no reseating of the tyre or brake related. Strange thing is that I didn't had it for weeks, and this drive more than ever.

It is very cold and very wet though at the moment, so I'm curious what Honda is going to tell you about this. Still think it's the behaviour of the differential.
By veehexx
just done a bit of research. seems we have a helical LSD (Variable LSD aka VLSD). cant find much on how many way's. Wikipedia sugests FWD's are best on 1way.
more research is showing only plate-based diffs clunk. gear driven should be quiet operation.
By dweezle
Now I'm on the iPad I've watched the clips & that's definitely not the tyre noise I was referring to, mines a one off slipping clunk noise as I'm pulling off.
Yours is actually causing the interior to move, I first thought it was yourself banging on the window to get a message across, definitely doesn't look normal
By thegodplato
Me banging on the outside of the car ha ha.

The Service Manager, much to my worry, held his hand on the wheel as I moved off the drive so he could see, feel and hear the knocking noise. Its because of the severity he has given us the new demo to test. Funnily enough the engineer who handed the car over to my wife tonight admitted this blue demo did it to him today. So, with loads of others experiencing it lets hope it isn't a potential major problem that is causing further damage. Finger crossed we all get it sorted. Too good a car to be spoiled this. I do like it in blue though.
1496935_10153452260564677_4536266625428800279_n.jpg
12272_10153452260504677_2355567272947594604_n.jpg
This is WTCC racer Rob Huff's nice one which shows the blue off a bit better
Rob Huff.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Lewisgame
To me, it sounds more like a characteristic of the car. I would imagine the last thing Honda thought about making this car is how it pulls up onto your drive way, on full lock, over a kerb or whatever. It's a performance vehicle.
I may be wrong and they might make some revisions. Only time will tell.
By Loxy
Mine doesn't do that.
Lewisgame wrote:To me, it sounds more like a characteristic of the car. I would imagine the last thing Honda thought about making this car is how it pulls up onto your drive way, on full lock, over a kerb or whatever. It's a performance vehicle.
I may be wrong and they might make some revisions. Only time will tell.
Guess you didn't watch either vid then bud?
By Lewisgame
Well the fact the owner is smashing the front bumper into the road clearly indicates the car isn't designed for that type of articulation.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]