The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Information, speculation and anything else specifically related to Civic Type R FK2 (2015 onwards)
By Loxy
Lewisgame wrote:Well the fact the owner is smashing the front bumper into the road clearly indicates the car isn't designed for that type of articulation.
It's the wind vanes under the car, and look again, that is before the car starts turning.

It's a road car, not some mythical beast. It should be able to turn off a quite normal drive into a normal road without crapping itself.

As above, mine doesn't do that and I'd be shocked if the demo loaner does in the morning.

Sounds as if they've left transportation blocks in the springs or something daft like that that has been missed on PDI.

http://hondakarma.com/threads/civic-typ ... ive?page=1
By Bryan-G-
Ive had a few fooked CV joints in the past on Vauxhalls and that's just what it sounds like. Never had LSD in a car before so can't comment.
By thegodplato
Sorry guys, been busy and its been an interesting time with Honda. Firstly, the blue one didn't do it off our drive.

And we are not `smashing` it into the road, there is clearance and it is only those vanes in front of the wheels that are catching.

I have just taken a call from the Service Manager. Honda UK are sending up a guy to drive the blue one at the dealership to see if it knocks for him. Then on Thursday morning they are coming over to ours to see if ours does it. It happened this morning for the wife so hasn't gone away. Then the car is booked in for a load of tests at the dealership - not sure what that will involve but at least a Honda Technical person will be there. They are very interested in finding out what it is.

So, how many of you have this? Would be worth knowing before Thursday.
By Plastic Sith
Happens to me on full lock low speed left and right turns.

I get the noise and very noticeable feedback through the steering wheel with each knock.
By thegodplato
So this morning at 8am I had the Service Manager turn up at my house with 2 Honda Technical guys in nice white overalls to take a look at the wife's car. They spent 10 mins plugging some computer gadgetry in to record various things including the sound. One guy sat in the passenger seat whilst the other recorded the car moving off the drive on his phone. Luckily the knocking noise occurred. We repeated the excercise a second time but it didn't happen. The engineers were chuffed it had happened as it gives them something to sort out! I have also mentioned that there are at least 2 of you on here that experience the same thing and I have passed on the car reg for one of you so perhaps they might get in touch with you.
Honda are very interested in getting this sorted.
By Loxy
Cracking response from Honda to be fair. Looks promising for a resolution.
By veehexx
wonder what it'll turn out to be, and if recall will be forced or voluntary..
Did the tech guys give any initial thoughts as to the problem?
By Helmigurt
Interesting. I think I had it once but it never occured again.
By thegodplato
Got the car back from the garage were the nice men in the white overalls have been playing with the car. The gearbox oil has been changed even though it didn't need it - they wanted to check if anything internal might be breaking/wearing causing swarf in the oil. Depending upon on how you view it, the outcome is unclear. The car as far as they are concerned is OK. But they are definitely keen to source the knock as it isn't the gearbox/diff. I am confident that it is a weather dependent issue and only happens when the car is really cold ( like it was this morning ). That being said, Honda are now about to test a few more Type R's at their factory under cold conditions. They have a room they can adjust the temperature of and so will be making it cold and seeing what happens.

Fingers crossed.

Plastic Sith, you should be getting a phone call from Honda Technical as I passed on your reg. Let me know if you do and what happens.
By Plastic Sith
Thanks for the update. There hasn't been any noticeable relationship with temperature with my knocking though I do wonder whether there is a gradient aspect to it as it seems worse when a full lock turn is being made on anything other than a level surface.
By FletchUK
Mine is also a consistent offender! Only does it from a cold start, regardless of ambient temperature.
By thegodplato
Update.

I am dropping the car off at the Dealership tomorrow for it to be transported down to Honda UK technical department. They won't say anything at the moment but there is obviously something they want to check out on our car or have had it with their demo cars at the factory. Honda have organised a hire car from Enterprise for the 2 weeks it might be with them. Shame its only going to be a crappy Astra or Mazda 3 but I would rather get the issue sorted.

Have Honda been in touch with you Plastic Sith?

I originally thought it was due to the cold whether but have had the noise occur when the car is warm and the outside temp is 11 degrees.

Hope it gets sorted.
By Plastic Sith
Interesting developments.

No, they've not contacted me.

Is there anyone you're dealing with directly? If so, perhaps DM me their details? I'm also going to get some video of mine doing the same thing as yours.
By thegodplato
Not at Honda UK Technical. Just with Blackpool Honda Service Manager. He has been really helpful. Can't fault his effort so far. Shame they haven't been in touch. Will keep you all posted on the outcome.
By Loxy
thegodplato wrote:Update.

I am dropping the car off at the Dealership tomorrow for it to be transported down to Honda UK technical department. They won't say anything at the moment but there is obviously something they want to check out on our car or have had it with their demo cars at the factory. Honda have organised a hire car from Enterprise for the 2 weeks it might be with them. Shame its only going to be a crappy Astra or Mazda 3 but I would rather get the issue sorted.

Have Honda been in touch with you Plastic Sith?

I originally thought it was due to the cold whether but have had the noise occur when the car is warm and the outside temp is 11 degrees.

Hope it gets sorted.
It's been with Honda for a week and a half now. Did they find anything or do they still have it?
By thegodplato
Sorry not been on for a while as not had anything back from Honda. Rung their Customer Relations and they couldn't help as it was at the factory. Eventually after a bit of to-ing and fro-ing the car is now back at the dealers and I am picking it up this afternoon. The report from the Factory is that they found distortion in the lower arm ball joint boot which has been replaced and tested. Now if that is the case then, to me, and I'm no mechanical genius, but I would have thought the part was not working correctly or designed/made correctly and that surely it will happen again? I'm only thinking this because I know our car is not an isolated incident so, to me, makes me think the part is faulty.
So I wonder if there might be a recall?

Has no one else pushed their dealership to investigate as well?

BTW the first hire car we ended up with was a new Megane 1.5 dci which was soooooo slow and plasticy inside. I complained and they upgraded us to the next level car - an Hyundai i40 Tourer which was much better but still not exactly a performance car. I don't understand why, when the Type R is a performance car they give you some shopping car and think you'll be grateful for it. Not exactly my fault the car had a problem!
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]