The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Information, speculation and anything else specifically related to Civic Type R FK2 (2015 onwards)
By V-TEC
Vissa wrote:Man I can't find the video anymore, but there was a test with a older model Civic if I'm correct with and without spoiler.

Without the spoiler the car was very VERY unstable and dangerous to drive at higher speeds. This wing is on the car with a reason, it's designed so, I wouldn't take it off.

Only if you are going drive the car where it's not build for, as a granny.
This video?

By rich_h
I can see where you're coming from. I really like the new Type R, but I can't stand the spoiler, it's the only thing stopping me from buying one! It's nearly as bad as the Mugen monstrosity people put on their FN2's. I'll watch this thread with interest and see what Honda say...
By Sedge
SiEP3 wrote:I'll need to personally write to Honda on this, if anything just to clarify wrt to warranty etc. I was just interested to know if anyone else had asked the question.

Honda themselves haven't released any figures on downforce which would be interesting to know. There is a difference between downforce and drag, the marketing stuff does state that it is a negative lift car, however the flat underbody and diffuser alone if done correctly could provide negative lift, I just wonder how much additional negative lift the wing provides as speed increases , or whether it helps more with reducing drag (and minimal lift) at high speed at say 160mph, I would think at that sort of speed the benefits of low drag far outweigh even more downforce, its also a fixed wing (not active aero like a real wing where you can effectively change lift characteristics to vary with speed ) so the difference in downforce achieved at 70mph the max speed is considerably less than at full speed.
Warranty. You will not void the warranty for parts which you have not touched. For example, if you get a seized rear calliper they cannot, and will not, say that your alteration to the tailgate caused that because it clearly didn't. However, if you get a water leak in the boot they may say that your modification was a contributory factor or, at worst case, the cause.

You won't get any figures for down force. I tired. The most you will get is a statement "that the overall effect is negative lift" and as you say this is from the marketing bumpf. During the press briefings only analogies were used without the figures and graphs without quantities on the axes. However, the wing is designed to flex - it will slightly change profile as load increases reducing drag ;-)
I was lead to believe that the wing profile is designed to produce negative lift to keep the rear in check in combination with the other features on the car. The most interesting item, I think, for drag reduction on the car is the side fender vents.
By YellowS2k
You will have to wait till 11. March, then the new Sportauto magazine will come out with a so called "Supertest", in those tests they put the cars in a wind tunnel and you get your numbers on front and rear down force.

Btw., it's a German mag.
By SiEP3
YellowS2k wrote:You will have to wait till 11. March, then the new Sportauto magazine will come out with a so called "Supertest", in those tests they put the cars in a wind tunnel and you get your numbers on front and rear down force.

Btw., it's a German mag.
V interesting thanks
By dweezle
I don't 100% believe Honda about the whole kit being aerodynamic, its partly aesthetics & to lure in buyers, this spoiler isn't far off from the mugen wing for the FN2 & it was said back then that the spoiler served no purpose.

Mugen have already replaced & improved "aero" parts so they couldn't of been that dynamic from the get go, & not forgetting most of the vents are near sealed or covered & probably serve no genuine purpose.
I like the above picture, if its what you want go for it but I wouldn't sell the spoiler just in case you want to hand it back at the 3yrs
By Dragonfall
Someone more knowledgable may correct me ....... But

I thought the rear wings on non race cars were mainly to disrupt airflow at the rear of the car, not to create direct downward pressure like an F1 Car wing?
This makes the airflow under the car faster than airflow over it creating negative pressure under the car and creating a small ground effect sucking the car down?

The bigger whale tail wings like on the older 911's and RS500's were designed to create pure downforce ..... Over 50kg at 100mpH+ if I remember correctly.
By dweezle
It didn't keep mine sucked to the ground the other wk, a few occasions during the bad winds my car was unstable, you could feel the wind under the car (probably the flat bottom wasn't helping matters),
One occasion when I hit a gap in the hedge line the car took a right gust & my arse definitely clenched :)
Still a cracking looking car to own & drive, I still would of bought it if they said the kit was aesthetics only, I just don't quite believe the whole dynamic jargon
By Dragonfall
I believe the effects are more pronounced at extremely illegal speeds .... Which obviously a law abiding citizen like yourself wouldnt dream of doing. :LOL:

Having not seen 145mph on a sat nav in the car, I wouldn't be able to tell you that the Type R at 145mph is very stable indeed. :Confused:
By Helmigurt
dweezle wrote:It didn't keep mine sucked to the ground the other wk, a few occasions during the bad winds my car was unstable, you could feel the wind under the car (probably the flat bottom wasn't helping matters),
One occasion when I hit a gap in the hedge line the car took a right gust & my arse definitely clenched :)
Still a cracking looking car to own & drive, I still would of bought it if they said the kit was aesthetics only, I just don't quite believe the whole dynamic jargon
As a high-speed driver myself (often on the German Autobahn) my CTR is much more stable compared to my Eibach'd 9G 2.2 i-dtec with 18" P-Zeros. I don't know if it is the wider track or the aero but traveling at 200 km/h (I had an extended night drive yesterday) the CTR definitely feels more planted. There are downsides as well though as it is much louder - Not just from the engine/exhaust but also general road/tyre noise and obv uses much more fuel at these speeds compared to the Diesel. But the pulling power even above 160 km/h is amazing!
By leej8
SiEP3 wrote:Thanks Sammo good points, first of all I'm only speaking on behalf of my own intentions here just to make that clear, safe driving/modding goes out to everyone on the forum.

I'll need to personally write to Honda on this, if anything just to clarify wrt to warranty etc. I was just interested to know if anyone else had asked the question.

Honda themselves haven't released any figures on downforce which would be interesting to know. There is a difference between downforce and drag, the marketing stuff does state that it is a negative lift car, however the flat underbody and diffuser alone if done correctly could provide negative lift, I just wonder how much additional negative lift the wing provides as speed increases , or whether it helps more with reducing drag (and minimal lift) at high speed at say 160mph, I would think at that sort of speed the benefits of low drag far outweigh even more downforce, its also a fixed wing (not active aero like a real wing where you can effectively change lift characteristics to vary with speed ) so the difference in downforce achieved at 70mph the max speed is considerably less than at full speed.

No doubt Honda have done enough work on that for us not to worry about that, but as I said, I personally doubt it would make the car unstable at public uk road speeds without it.
And yes I state again that is purely my own (possibly incorrect) opinion.

Will update when I get a response from Honda.
Prity sure honda will be laughing there ass off reading your letter, thinking it a joke from a VW owner, a haha .
You sir are crazy.

Sent from my SM-T230 using Tapatalk

Added in 2 minutes 28 seconds:
Vissa wrote:Man I can't find the video anymore, but there was a test with a older model Civic if I'm correct with and without spoiler.

Without the spoiler the car was very VERY unstable and dangerous to drive at higher speeds. This wing is on the car with a reason, it's designed so, I wouldn't take it off.

I posted that video in the Facebook ctroc

By leej8

I posted that video in the Facebook ctroc

long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]