The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Information, speculation and anything else specifically related to Civic Type R FK2 (2015 onwards)
By Dragonfall
6800 miles and the front tyres are level with the main tyre wear markers.

I pop into my usual independent tyre company who are a pretty big outfit as ask for a price on Sport Contact 6's.
"You mean Sport Contact 5' Sir as 6's don't exist"
I explain its definitely 6's I need and off he goes to phone Continental.

He comes back a few minutes later grinning and says I've taught him something today and that I've got one of those new Civics. There are only 2 CS-6's in the region located in 2 different centres.
He also showed me their tyre removal machine designed for lightweight alloys , a clever arm design that doesn't touch the outer rim.

Having 2 fitted on Saturday for £146 each inc fitting and vat which was a nice surprise. :Woot:
By nav786_nitro
Nice. Wow suprise they lastest only that long. Was there anything else that he could do? Longer lasting ones? What made you go for these again?
By xonics
From what I've heard that's actually pretty good mileage lol. I'm hoping to get more than 6k from the fronts too but we'll see - the more fun had the less the mileage is left on the tyres.
By nav786_nitro
@xonics yeah I want to do the same. Going to take the tyre measuring tool out over the weekend and have look. Currently on 3500 ish miles.
By Dragonfall
My thought process was .... We bought the car as an X-demo with 3k on the clock so the tyres had been pushed far harder than we do in everyday driving. The fact they have last 6800 miles and are £146 each to change makes me think they are a decent product.

I'm an odd breed in that I like all 4 tyres to be the same brand and type on a car or van, and the rear tyres are barely worn.

Depending on how well the next set lasts on the front and state of the rears, I may look at changing all 4 to something else next time around. By that time a lot of you guys will have swapped tyres and and have some decent feedback on how different tyres perform versus cost/wear rates.
By Dragonfall
I prefer to always have the least worn tyres on the rear. Can't be fussed with jacking the car up and swapping tyres round every 6 weeks (cars does 500 miles a week roughly) either :LOL:
By veehexx
6k+ is good. i'm kinda surprised as thats the life I've got on other FWD's without so much torque.

i'll be swapping front/rear mid>late summer in the hope i wont need to replace till spring'17. also hope that i'll be able to replace all 4 at the same time with 245's to straight out that sidewall. Saw a scary youtube vid of the tyrewall when corning (
) and it just reinforces my own thoughts on idiots who choose to run super stretched tyres; the tyres seem to be touching the sidewall on the tarmac.
By Dragonfall
New tyres fitted and treated like Automotive Royalty. :LOL:

Got a bit embarrassing as 12 fitters all descended on it "ooh'ing" and "aaah'ing" as most hadn't seen one before and were firing questions galore.

Tyres fitted with no contact with the outer rim and the guys that changed the tyres said the wheel and tyres were extremely well balanced and one wheel needed a single small weight. They cleaned the glue off the old weight positions and used black sticky weights "so it doesn't spoil the look".
By sparky_edwards
I've gone for a set of Michaelins Pilot Spots.

They are quite good to be honest. Less noise and good grip. They haven't let go yet.
By Dragonfall
sparky_edwards wrote:I've gone for a set of Michaelins Pilot Spots.

They are quite good to be honest. Less noise and good grip. They haven't let go yet.
Can you put a picture up how they look on the rim. Do they look more conventional than the CS6's wil proper rim protection and and tread depth?
By Loxy
veehexx wrote:pilot sport 3's, yes?
Pilot Sport 3s replaced the Exalto 2 and are universally accepted to be the worst of the "Pilot Sport" tyres.

Pilot Super Sports replaced the Pilot Sport 2, and are the ones you would want.

Pilot Sport 4 have just been released to replace the Pilot Sport 3. I've not looked if they do them in the right size, but ultimately the Super Sports are likely to be better but still early days with very few reviews of them.

Added in 1 minute 28 seconds:
Dragonfall wrote:

Can you put a picture up how they look on the rim. Do they look more conventional than the CS6's wil proper rim protection and and tread depth?
+1
By Loxy
Dragonfall wrote:

+1
By sparky_edwards
Loxy wrote:
Dragonfall wrote:

+1
ill try tomorrow last time I tried I couldn't attach them to the post.
By Dragonfall
Thanks Sparky!

Looks more conventional with a shoulder on the tyre and doesn't appear as stretched as the CS'6 and seems to give slightly better rim protection. You can no doubt see if this the case?

The CS'6 I fitted changed shape after a few miles slightly as the sidewalks looked far less stretched when 1st fitted.

Interesting to see how they wear.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]