The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Information, speculation and anything else specifically related to Civic Type R FK2 (2015 onwards)
By veehexx
not sure if it's me, but those tyres still look like they could be 1 size wider still. very slight lean on the sidewall (but no where near as bad as the csc6's)
are they 235's @sparky_edwards ?
By Loxy
veehexx wrote:not sure if it's me, but those tyres still look like they could be 1 size wider still. very slight lean on the sidewall (but no where near as bad as the csc6's)
are they 235's @sparky_edwards ?
Exactly what I was thinking. That being said though, 245s are going to put more stress on steering components. How much more, who knows, there must be tolerance built in surely.
By veehexx
compooter says 4% is the increase from 235 to 245 (10mm)... i'm going with "well within engineered tolerances" :)
By nav786_nitro
Hankooks Ventus Evo 2's fitted to the front just now. Thank you CarTyres.com £228 all in. They may have a little less grip in the dry then the contis but the reduced road noise is a god send, now I can listen to the electronic wastegate whistle away ahhhhh.

By nav786_nitro
Loxy I was going to go for the 245's but was worried about my speedo being out and adverse effect on steering etc. I really wanted the michellins or yokos. However having had these on an a45 before they have a good balance between wear and grip.

These are the same as oem 235 35 19. Im expecting to get atleast twice the miles from these compared to the contis based on previous experience.
By Loxy
Much less stretched looking than the Continentals.
By veehexx
i'm keeping my eye on these threads :) see what people are running, fitment on the alloy, and lifespans of non-conti's...
so far, i'm still very set on 245's.
By Loxy
Yeah, I'm thinking 245 Eagle Asymmetric 3s at the minute.
By nav786_nitro
Eagles have really good wear and grip. Ive had the 2's before very robust tyre so I assume the 3 will be even better.

245 is probably the best option to ensure rim protection and the tyre won't look stretched. Im actually quiet surprised how the 235 in hankooks fits really well almost perfect. Im currently on 4487 miles and the tyres are at 8mm. Lets see how they wear will keep you guys posted.
By sparky_edwards
The pilot sports are 235/35 19s.

I didn't want to mess around with 245s now with a car that can go this fast this quickly.
By sp0192
I picked my Fk2 today from Honda(used) and it has a full set of Avon ZZ5's. I have driven a Conti shod Fk2 and these Avon's seem pretty good. Square side walls compared to Conti's and plenty of grip.
I've seen them online for £92 fitted.
By SylverFyre
I had avons on my ep3 and they were good on there. Would be more than willing to try them on the fk2 too. I'm interested how they wear for you spo192 :)
By sp0192
I drove in the rain last night and these Avon's held up well. I think that maybe they are not as stiff as the Conti 6's. The steering does not feel "razor sharp" as I had expected but still good. I test drove a brand new Type r last week before getting my one and I really don't think there's much in it. Everyday driving you would not notice the difference between Conti's and Avon's.
I guess only when pushing hard the Avons would let go before the Conti's.
Avon ZZ5 are equivalent to say, Bridgestone RE050, Conti 6 equivalent to Michelin Super Sport I recon. And for £40 more/ tyre the Conti might be worth it.
By sp0192
My Avon's. Decent rim protection. Exiting a large roundabout onto a slip road for the motorway, uphill, I felt the car slide a tad. Only until it hooked up again then it was fine. I am just beginning to see the limits of these tyres.
Now thinking eBay them and get Michelin super sports. Slightly put off by the CS6 wear rate. Also with the steering on centre the wheel seems to wobble slightly while driving, as the tyres react to the road surface (not wheel balance wobble). the steering wheel is also off centre (Honda should have sorted this surely before handing over the car) so good quality new boots and alignment done and all should be good. Not that all is bad its just not 100% and it should be on this incredible car.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By sp0192
sparky_edwards wrote:Image

Added in 1 minute 12 seconds:
How are these PSS's working out? Just ordered a set, my Avon's cause 4 wheel drifting when wet, just don't think they are suited to this car. Don't want to end up in a ditch wishing I'd got a better tyre.
By sparky_edwards
There good to be honest. Bit shaky now and again in the really wet patches. But I can't fault them. Not check the wear yet as they have only done 1000 ish miles.

In the dry the grip just as good. Either that or I drive like my mum.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]