The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Information, speculation and anything else specifically related to Civic Type R FK2 (2015 onwards)
By Dragonfall
Just over a week and 800 miles later, I have a few questions.

Dab Radio ..... Does the radio have the facility to show the digital information of the DJ and current song playing? My last 2 cars which were much cheaper Citroens did.

Bluetooth .... Once this week, it would not let any incoming calls connect, it would drop them as soon as you picked them up. Is the system prone to being glitchy on occasions?

Tyres ... The car has 4200 miles on the clock and the front tyres are at 4mm. We don't need ultimate performance tyres, what are people thinking of using when their Conti's 6's are worn out? I'm leaning towards Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

Unlocking .... My wife is convinced that the doors unlock as you walk towards it even though I've shown her that it only seems (for me) to unlock once you have touched the handle. Who's right?
By Loxy
Radio, you can get the DAB digital text, but it's a few button presses and only shows the text on the screen with the clock and nothing else. It's a bit poor, so I haven't bothered with it.

Bluetooth has been spot on for me.

Tyres, I'm going to be stuck between CSC6's, CSC5's, Michelin Pilot Super Sports or the old favourite of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2s. The Goodyears do seem to lose a lot of wet grip when they get to 5mm and under so I may give them a miss. I've been impressed with the Continentals though, they're nowhere near as bad in the wet as I had been led to believe.

The doors unlock when you get hold of the handle. Watch the indicators and listen for the door unlocking, it's really obvious. :)
By Axesol
I hardly use the radio so not to fussed.
Bluetooth has been spot on for me can be a bit slow at times but I can live with that. The only issue is the mirror link to my note4 can't seem to get it to work. I haven't really explored it so much since I use the Bluetooth so much. Tyres are an issue the contact 6s are great but I will probably switch the 5s. I do enjoy a blast here and there when ever I can and so far 600 miles on the clock and well I probably need a new set before 1200 miles :(.
By veehexx
Loxy wrote:Tyres, I'm going to be stuck between CSC6's, CSC5's, Michelin Pilot Super Sports or the old favourite of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2s. The Goodyears do seem to lose a lot of wet grip when they get to 5mm and under so I may give them a miss. I've been impressed with the Continentals though, they're nowhere near as bad in the wet as I had been led to believe.
i am partial to continental tyres - brilliant tyres but can feel a bit soft depending what car you have. i find they give good feedback, progressive grip loss, and better than average wet weather performance. Performance bridgestones are tempting based on the typically stiffer sidewall than every conti tyre i've tried. it might sharpen up the steering a touch.
i'll be running winter tyres next year (unlikely this year as i have the s2000 on winter's), and <6k mile/yr means i wont be changing tyres too often, so i might splash out and try some semi-slicks; pirelli's maybe.
Whatever i do it'll be 245's next time. 235's are too narrow and are giving no protection to the edge of the alloys. 235's are a stupid choice by honda.

door lock; only had it when i've touched the handle. i assume there's a contact sensor on it somewhere.
i dont use radio or bluetooth so cant help there. all my tunes are on a USB drive.
By Dan_
Axesol wrote:I hardly use the radio so not to fussed.
Bluetooth has been spot on for me can be a bit slow at times but I can live with that. The only issue is the mirror link to my note4 can't seem to get it to work. I haven't really explored it so much since I use the Bluetooth so much. Tyres are an issue the contact 6s are great but I will probably switch the 5s. I do enjoy a blast here and there when ever I can and so far 600 miles on the clock and well I probably need a new set before 1200 miles :(.
1200 miles! :O
By Dragonfall
Ok ... So unlocking .... Even though my wife is absolutely adamant that I'm wrong ...... I am right and she is wrong :LOL: :LOL:

New set of tyres at 1200 miles ..... Nearly snorted my morning coffee when I read that! I've always found continentals to be the fastest wearing of any tyre I've fitted to a car.
95% of our driving is dual carriageway/motorway hence ultimate grip for Corning doesn't really come into equation for us. I tend to find Michelins (never used Pilot Super Sports though) more durable and no difference in grip level for my driving style.

Veehex ... You can fit 245's in place of the 235's with no issues? The 235's do look stretched and a bit more rim protection would be nice.

Loxy .... The internet did worry me about the Conti 6's in the wet, but even at 4mm find them fine. I will hunt through the Dab settings to get the digital info to keep the wife quiet.

Last thing .... I checked and topped up tyre pressures on Saturday and re-initialised the system.
Drove 35 miles yesterday, the wife got 15 miles down the A1 and the tyre pressure warning light came on.
She pulled in a layby expecting a flat tyre, and pulled up behind an RAC van as it happened. The short skirt and heels did its job and he checked the tyres and found them all to be fine.
She reset the system again and drove another 35 miles to work without it coming on again.
Any ideas?

Thank you! :Smile:
By Dan_
I'm not sure how the Deflation Detection System works specifically on the TypeR but on some cars the DDS works by the rotational mass of the wheel. As in if a flat tyre occurred the rotational mass would be off centre and flag a warning up. Downside to that system is if you hit a pothole or jack the car up it will set off a warning.

However, the TypeR may use pressure sensors...
By veehexx
Dragonfall wrote:Ok ... So unlocking .... Even though my wife is absolutely adamant that I'm wrong ...... I am right and she is wrong :LOL: :LOL:

Veehex ... You can fit 245's in place of the 235's with no issues? The 235's do look stretched and a bit more rim protection would be nice.

Last thing .... I checked and topped up tyre pressures on Saturday and re-initialised the system.
Drove 35 miles yesterday, the wife got 15 miles down the A1 and the tyre pressure warning light came on.
She pulled in a layby expecting a flat tyre, and pulled up behind an RAC van as it happened. The short skirt and heels did its job and he checked the tyres and found them all to be fine.
She reset the system again and drove another 35 miles to work without it coming on again.
Any ideas?

Thank you! :Smile:
get her to prove the unlocking thing :)

i'm pretty sure 245's will fit. (10mm wider; 5mm on each side of the tyre) I've had my hand through the rear alloy and feel the gap between inner side of wheel & inner wing; it's close but i think it'll fit. i doubt the front will be as close running to the inner wing. Worse case is we have to use some spacers of a few mm.

the reset system; have you done it as per the manual? i seem to recall a special procedure during the re-initialisation period.
not had todo it on mine; it's been perfect.
@Dan_ Tyre pressure system works on rotation based differences. not sure on the distance required to trigger it, but i'd expect it to be able to cope with potholes, long sweeping corners and based on decade old information; tyre wear differences of upto 50% vs new worn tyres.
By xonics
As i had this happen to me on my FN2 thought I'd mention it. I had a sticky caliper (this was over a fairly long drive (not a hard drive) and I didnt know pre-journey that it was sticking) that caused my rear near-side wheel to heat up, which in turn increased the tyre pressure, which triggered the deflation warning system - the lack of a flat tyre and smoke coming off the wheel gave the problem away.
Not saying this is what happened for you, but could be worth keeping an eye on.
By xenergie
Hey,

You guys have had any problems with ground clearance? There are some nasty speed bumps over here in some roads.

Cheers
By Dragonfall
Peterborough has every variant of speed bump every invented I think!!

Not had an issue with any of them driving at sensible/normal speeds as you would when going over a speed bump in any car.

The only bit that scrapes sometimes are the 2 angled plastic flaps that are fixed under the front bumper. They're pretty flexible and just bend out of the way.
By mattyswe1
Mine unlocks when I approach the drivers side door or the boot. I do not need to touch the door or the boot?
If I open the boot then close it the boot locks itself without me even touching my key fob.
By xenergie
nav786_nitro wrote:I have in Birmingham City Centre where I work. You have to be real slow.
Well, as long as you can get over it, it's not too bad :P
Dragonfall wrote:Peterborough has every variant of speed bump every invented I think!!

Not had an issue with any of them driving at sensible/normal speeds as you would when going over a speed bump in any car.

The only bit that scrapes sometimes are the 2 angled plastic flaps that are fixed under the front bumper. They're pretty flexible and just bend out of the way.
All in all, seems like if you are careful you can manage speed bumps. Good news.

By Fierce
I have a question regarding the USB playback. I've seen a few replies regarding folders and listing of tracks, but I wondered can you operate the music from an iPod. (i.e. select a playlist and job done?)

Thanks.
By Fierce
Thanks Nav, does that not interfere with your phone capability?

Hoping USB will keep the charge on the iPod and let me control from there.

:Music:
By nav786_nitro
Hi Fierce, no problem. Can you be a bit more specific on what you mean by capability? Ipod should be alot easier then my phone considering the car is ipod compatible according to the manual.
By Fierce
nav786_nitro wrote:Hi Fierce, no problem. Can you be a bit more specific on what you mean by capability? Ipod should be alot easier then my phone considering the car is ipod compatible according to the manual.
Thanks Nav,

I was thinking how many devices can you pair with bluetooth and whether that would affect playback quality as a wired connection is always more reliable. Still, the car is due within the next 2 weeks so I havent got long to wait to play around with it myself! I had a feeling it would just be plug and play as the idea of folders seemed a bit counter intuitive.
By nav786_nitro
Bluetooth is simple and I think you can have multiple devices connected also. The majority of devices these days use bluetooth 4.0+ as a result the sound quality will be no different to wired. As the distance from the device and the system is pretty much nothing you wont lose connection at any time.

I mainly use my usb stick to play movies on the go and my phone as my mp3 player. Soon as I start the car it picks up my phone and starts from the last track I was playing.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]