The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Information, speculation and anything else specifically related to Civic Type R FK2 (2015 onwards)
Lewisgame wrote:
D4Z3D wrote:Evo always does this though, they put the megan on cup semi slicks and compare it to lots of stuff. I wouldn't be too concerned about the times, steve sutcliff said the civic is the quicker car and he compared them all on road tyres. He also said the megans gearbox is rubbish and the brakes dont stand up to abuse. For me the real fair criticism of the civic was the engine, turbo lag is simply unacceptable, i mean 300 bhp from a 2 litre isn't exaclty pusing the it in terms of what is possible. Evo 8's were doing this more than 10 years ago with very little lag. The fact that all the other cars have better throttle response (with the exception of the renault) shows that it can be done and that honda have done a poor calibration job.
10 years ago the emissions regulations were no where near as strict as they are now. You can make any engine quick if you give it enough boost and fuel. The Civic probably produces the same power as the Evo, but uses half the fuel, produces half the emissions and will have far better reliability. It takes a lot of technology to produce an engine that makes good power but doesn't kill the atmosphere.
Perhaps, but they have been outdone by all the competition despite taking years to get it ready. Pretty poor show IMO
hovblackctr wrote:Grey and red are easily the best 2 colours.

+1 regarding the red/grey colours. The red touches clash with the blue colour and there's too many black parts on the car for it to work with the white IMO. Eye of the beholder and all that though!

I still personally think the styling is a bit OTT and will attract the wrong kind of attention especially from the police . As with many others it would never pass a 'car allowance' discussion based on the looks and styling of it. I think that's going to be its main issue TBH. The people likely to buy it new are men in their 30s/40s and most will have to run it past their partner first....

"....but dear it has 5 doors and a reasonably sized boot.... :)"

Also, the competition is particularly fierce in the £30k hyper hatch segment just now with the likes of the Golf R, Audi S3 , BMW M135 and the upcoming Focus RS. I can't help but feel a FWD Civic is going to struggle to compete in that company.
Have to agree with the above [emoji17] , unfortunate but I'm already getting grief from senior guys at work on the evo X and this is another level of OTT, front is fine but the back end is borderline ridiculous .

Not that anyone cares but another guy at work "on car allowance" is coming off the company car scheme and has a 135M on order, 1k depo and & £299 pm on a PCP.
MattRST wrote:Have to agree with the above [emoji17] , unfortunate but I'm already getting grief from senior guys at work on the evo X and this is another level of OTT, front is fine but the back end is borderline ridiculous .

Not that anyone cares but another guy at work "on car allowance" is coming off the company car scheme and has a 135M on order, 1k depo and & £299 pm on a PCP.
What does the car and car allowance have to do with each other.

If you take the cash, you can get any car no? There are no regulations at our place, you do that even have to have a car..
Completely agree on the colour argument, that's why I ordered mine in Milano Red; arrives tomorrow :) I would say by definition a £30,000 + Car would tend to be bought be people at the peak of their earning potential (without having to over finance it). I just turned 29 and I think that's about the right demographic for this car.

Styling is pretty subjective (terrible cliché I know), however; when I look at the incredibly mundane looking Audi RS3 and Golf R (and even the forthcoming R400) I start to appreciate part of what this car is about. How many of us started modifying cars to escape the drudgery of our first cars when we were 17? :) The Type R has more visual personality then the other cars in the class and although it has been ridiculed as "Halfords Styling" in one of the reviews I read, I actually really like how the car looks. It's a nice change from the current obsession with "incognito" performance at the moment.

As for keeping us with the competition, you will be surprised. The drivers I spoke to at Goodwood thought it was AWD (70/30 split) as it grips so well and pulls so convincingly out of the middle of the bends. This will beat any of the current class on the track in the standard road spec. We will have to see what the Ford Focus RS has to offer early next year, however; I feel much like Xbox Vs. PS3 Honda has made the right choice about getting this out early and take a share of the market. The positive thing for everyone is that Hot Hatchbacks are getting everyone talking again, which is awesome.
Lewisgame wrote:The Cupra Sub8 and Megan Trophy aren't exactly a daily car. My impression is the Type R can be easily driven every day of the year and perform well on track.
Not sure I agree.

Sub8 pack is lighter wheels, cup tyres and a big brake kit. The Leon still has 3 mode adaptive dampers with the same spring rates as the regular Cupra.

However I don't think the Megane has a comfort mode and is just bone shaker mode only.
EvoStu wrote:
Lewisgame wrote:The Cupra Sub8 and Megan Trophy aren't exactly a daily car. My impression is the Type R can be easily driven every day of the year and perform well on track.
This is what the others have to be equipped with just to keep up. Over longer distance tracks the CTR just obliterates them.

Car magazine had the best sum up. Basically the CTR does everything the track focused cars do but without the compromise.
Well.
If you don't happen to drive along the NBR on the way to work... you simply spec non Cup chassis for the Renault and non Sub8 pack for the Cupra.

In contrast, Honda only offer one level of focus, so has to have broader range of capabilities within that one incarnation. If they can pull it off its great engineering. If not its bad product management.
pulpmelon_r wrote:
Not sure I agree.

Sub8 pack is lighter wheels, cup tyres and a big brake kit. The Leon still has 3 mode adaptive dampers with the same spring rates as the regular Cupra.

However I don't think the Megane has a comfort mode and is just bone shaker mode only.
I'll agree that the Sub8 is probably more user friendly for everyday use. Adaptive dampers is nothing new in the VAG world. Although I wouldn't have great confidence in them cup tyres when it's cold and wet. But we don't exactly know yet how well these new Conti sport contact 6 will be in all weather. Judging by the previous contact 5 they'll be your usual 'summer' tyre. Looking at the reviews the Sub8 seems to be the closest competitor to the new TypeR performance wise.
Lewisgame wrote:
pulpmelon_r wrote:
Not sure I agree.

I'll agree that the Sub8 is probably more user friendly for everyday use. Adaptive dampers is nothing new in the VAG world. Although I wouldn't have great confidence in them cup tyres when it's cold and wet. But we don't exactly know yet how well these new Conti sport contact 6 will be in all weather. Judging by the previous contact 5 they'll be your usual 'summer' tyre. Looking at the reviews the Sub8 seems to be the closest competitor to the new TypeR performance wise.
Here's a good piece from PH on the options http://www.pistonheads.com/news/driven/ ... view/32185

You can just buy the light wheels and big brakes without the cup tyres for 2k
Cup 2's will be shite when the temperature drops below the magic 7C

Apparently better than Cup 1's though and are better in the dry than the PSS, but if your looking for an everyday/all year round, the PSS is the one to have
I had pilot super sports on my RS250 Megane. Never again, great tyre generally but really soft side walls. I replaced 3 tyres due to split sidewalls from pot holes and never had the same problems on the same roads with standard Conti's. Massive temperature deviations on track too but lots of grip
Cannit wrote:I had pilot super sports on my RS250 Megane. Never again, great tyre generally but really soft side walls. I replaced 3 tyres due to split sidewalls from pot holes and never had the same problems on the same roads with standard Conti's. Massive temperature deviations on track too but lots of grip
Dont know then, oem on porsche gt3's and they all seem to rate them highly as a general day to da tyre
Friend has an RS3 with Pilot Super Sports. 3 laps around a hot Silverstone national circuit and they were cooked. I easily caught him up and passed him like he was standing still in my EP3 (EP3 240bhp, RS3 currently 400bhp). It seemed that the tyres couldn't cope with the heat or that amount of power in a fairly heavy vehicle. He even cut his session short because it became worthless trying to drive around the track.
Yes I find the same thing Lewis.
I'm running Yoko A048's and Fedral 595RS-R's and I can catch most things under braking and through the corners as I've got the grip.
jasonevans wrote:Yes I find the same thing Lewis.
I'm running Yoko A048's and Fedral 595RS-R's and I can catch most things under braking and through the corners as I've got the grip.
Worrying thing was I'm still running standard Bridgestone RE050a's. They did go off but a car that's not far off half the power and weight, it's probably easier to manage.
I have to say the more I see of the car the more I'm getting to like it!
I'd seriously contemplate buying one but the spoiler is just too much. I'd live with the rest! Removing the spoiler, wise/unwise?

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]