The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Have a recipe to share? It doesn't matter if its cheesy beans on toast or Foie Gras, or maybe some cooking tips that could make Heston Blumenthal look like a rank amateur? Then post them in here and let the world know.
By smartie
Superbully wrote:
EvoStu wrote: Anyone that says the blade on the cheap Tesco knife is the same as an expensive blade is kidding themselves. Its like saying, yup a Ford Focus is the same as a BMW 1 Series because it has 4 wheels.........no its really not the same.
Some people like to kid themselves though :wink: :lol: All i'm saying like :lol:
And yet they both can carry out the same journey.
By Pee Zed
Except that analogy doesn't work.

Cheap knives can be sharpened to the point where they are just as good as pro knives, except they'll get blunt much quicker, due to them being manufactured from cheaper and softer steel, as well as undergoing a simpler manufacturing process.
By Stevo M81
Cockpiss Analfist wrote:
Stevo M81 wrote:
Cockpiss Analfist wrote:
Stevo M81 wrote:What about a good set of global knives :wink:

yeah they are good if you are a michelin starred head chef and earn 80-120k/year.

otherwise lol just lol.

whenever a new chef rocks up to work with a full set of original globals eyebrows are raised and the herewegoagain.jpg looks are passed around the kitchen.
The brother is a head chef and has always used global took him a few years building them up and I remember him telling me the price for one I was like :shock: for one knife. Then he showed me how sharp they were on a cherry tomato, very impressive knives. He had his engraved with his name on each of them so no one mistakes them as their knives. To be honest am surprised that u don't have them being a chef as u lot never get anytime of to spend your cash :lol:

What cash? the pay is abismal.
He said the same until he became a head chef, but even though he now gets paid very well he says to me, think how many hours I do bro. He said he would rather have a normal job with normal hours instead of the money, as he has hardly anytime of.
Last edited by Stevo M81 on Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By EvoStu
dutch wrote:How do you keep them sharp?
Throw them away and buy new ones.
By OOCH
Cockpiss Analfist wrote:
OOCH wrote:I've got a Victorinox pastry knife and it's really sharp. Use it for slicing bread and it's spot on. Think I might have bought it on Cockpiss' recommendation. Also got a small global knife which I use for most other things.

[smilie=karls_thumb.gif]

Pastry knives are quite common in most kitchens. They are good because they stay sharp and are very easy to use.

Best way (only way) to sharpen them is with an oval, diamond steel.

You run the blade up and down the steel at a 45 degree angle INBETWEEN the serrations on the bottom side. (knive in right hand steel in left.)

Then swipe the flat side of the blade (top side) down the steel at a 45 degree angle the same number of times.
I've only got one of those sharpeners that you put a pic up of before. Luckily the pastry knife is still really sharp so not needed to sharpen it yet.
By epchop
He said the same until he became a head chef, but even though he now gets paid very well he says to me, think how many hours I do bro. He said he would rather have a normal job with normal hours instead of the money, as he has hardly anytime of.[/quote]

I need to get out of cheffing can't be arsed with it, especially trying to manage with a new born baby too
By ShaunCTR
Omni wrote:3 knives for £280? I can't even see an ankle holster for them
I'll have you know I got a chopping board as well!! Said ankle holster is home made :wink:
By Stevo M81
epchop wrote:He said the same until he became a head chef, but even though he now gets paid very well he says to me, think how many hours I do bro. He said he would rather have a normal job with normal hours instead of the money, as he has hardly anytime of.
I need to get out of cheffing can't be arsed with it, especially trying to manage with a new born baby too[/quote]

He's thinking the same as he has 2 kids one wee boy at 3 and another not even a year old. Hes even thinking of leaving the chefing if he can find another job, even if it does mean a huge wage cut as be said hes sick of never having time off to see the kids.
By Pee Zed
Global are basically known to be overpriced. They're good, but not worth the money.
By EvoStu
player zero wrote:
Global are basically known to be overpriced. They're good, but not worth the money.
Say's who?
By Pee Zed
Says anybody who knows the first thing about professional kitchen knives?

Look at those prices and tell me you're not lolling.

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/p13716/Global-Knives

edit - actually tbf, they seem to be discounted heavily nowadays. But I recall looking a few years ago online and seeing them for around 20-30% more.
By karl
expensive knives are even more pretentious than overly verbose wine drinkers

inb4 the glass affects the flavour faggotry
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]