The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Have a recipe to share? It doesn't matter if its cheesy beans on toast or Foie Gras, or maybe some cooking tips that could make Heston Blumenthal look like a rank amateur? Then post them in here and let the world know.
By Pee Zed
Talk to me.

What brands have you used and how good were they.

inb4 lol Tesco knives are good enuf
By Cockpiss Analfist
Herewegoagain.jpg

I could tell you the number one brand that ALL and I mean ALL proffesional chefs use (or at least have one or two of in possesion) But then the fagrod crew will be along shortly after to tell you that you need to buy the most expensive knives blah blah blah.

Lol

don't listen to someone that uses knives EVERYDAY, no listen to somebody that uses them once a week if that and has absolutely flip all idea how to keep them sharp.

#Lulz
By J

Good enough for John, good enough for me.
By Cockpiss Analfist
dutch wrote:How do you keep them sharp?

whetstone and diamond steel.

Although ive got one of these too and its Flipping beast mode 9000. serious makes my knives like razors after a few drags through it. quicker and no skill compared to a stone.

By Magic-R
J wrote:Image

Good enough for John, good enough for me.
That's not a knife.....
By J
Cockpiss Analfist wrote:would never buy /10
You poor?
By Cockpiss Analfist
Victorinox are the bread and butter of chefs knives.

Last me AGES and i use them EVERYDAY.

I use the 15inch cooks knife, rosewood handle (ftw) its razor sharp erryday.

also got a few others.

Ive got global knives, Bunmei (sub branch of global, yoshikin) some other japanese brands and i always favour my victorinox over any other knife.

Yes they are cheap but the quality is unmatchable IMO.
By NyseriA
The ones I have they don't make any more, but they're pretty decent but I'd take a chefs recommendation over mine :lol:

Type 301 Chroma. Kind of like the handles :)

I have a whetstone for sharpening but tbh it's probably an acquired art that I suck at (like plastering) so they're probably not as sharp as they could be. I considered an Anysharp but they do seem to take a lot of metal off. Then, suppose if I only sharpen with that once a year...

Perhaps learning to use a whetstone properly would be better :lol:
By Cockpiss Analfist
NyseriA wrote:The ones I have they don't make any more, but they're pretty decent but I'd take a chefs recommendation over mine :lol:

I have a whetstone for sharpening but tbh it's probably an acquired art that I suck at (like plastering) so they're probably not as sharp as they could be. I considered an Anysharp but they do seem to take a lot of metal off. Then, suppose if I only sharpen with that once a year...

Yeah they do take a bit of metal of, but its not as much as you think. I use mine quite a lot and it hasnt really made much difference to the knife apart from keeps it razor sharp.

I would say a whetstone is better but it still takes metal off, you just cant see it as well as the anysharp because it gets ground into the stone. Plus it takes a while to learn to use a whetstone competently.

:salut:
By smartie
Cockpiss Analfist wrote:
NyseriA wrote:The ones I have they don't make any more, but they're pretty decent but I'd take a chefs recommendation over mine :lol:

Yeah they do take a bit of metal of, but its not as much as you think. I use mine quite a lot and it hasnt really made much difference to the knife apart from keeps it razor sharp.

I would say a whetstone is better but it still takes metal off, you just cant see it as well as the anysharp because it gets ground into the stone. Plus it takes a while to learn to use a whetstone competently.

:salut:
Several whole sentences in one post without any spannerisms. Impressive. :cooldude:
By Pee Zed
I had a look at those Rosewood Victorinox knives too. We have one Victorinox knife here that is pretty sharp but we don't have a proper sharpener. I needs to get me some stuff.

What's wrong with Sabatier?
By jymmm
Sabatier isn't a brand of knife. You can buy cheap Sabatier knifes and expensive Sabatier knifes made by different people etc

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]