The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Have a recipe to share? It doesn't matter if its cheesy beans on toast or Foie Gras, or maybe some cooking tips that could make Heston Blumenthal look like a rank amateur? Then post them in here and let the world know.
By gilberto
Bought two Victorinox knives last weekend, they are phenominal knives, razor sharp, i'm amazed how good they are.

Been used to using sh1te like Jamie Oliver's range and Joseph Joseph, never again.
By Aid1987
EvoStu wrote:
Aid1987 wrote:So, I'm pretty much sold on the idea of getting a Victorinox kitchen knife based on what people have said about them and I'm tempted to go for the rosewood handle but I can't find it in the shops to see what it feels like.

Can anyone tell me if it is better/worse (in terms of comfort and grip) than the regular 'easy grip' style handle?
Best thing is to try them in a shop. I find my Wusthof knives more comfortable than my Globals but my missus prefers the Globals.
Can't seem to find them in a shop which is the problem.
Cockpiss Analfist wrote:
Aid1987 wrote:So, I'm pretty much sold on the idea of getting a Victorinox kitchen knife based on what people have said about them and I'm tempted to go for the rosewood handle but I can't find it in the shops to see what it feels like.

Can anyone tell me if it is better/worse (in terms of comfort and grip) than the regular 'easy grip' style handle?

Yeah rosewood hands down. Feels so much better than that cheap plastic sh-t.

just dont EVER put them through the dishwasher. this appies to all knives (not cutlery obvs)
:bigthumb:
By Pee Zed
cheapskate wrote:I could nearly shave with them. You are right though, the dishwasher is harsher than hand-washing and just dissolves inferior brands like Wustof etc, but the high vanadium content steel in Globals is very resistant in my experience.
>wustof
>inferior
>top lel
By EvoStu
Inferior brands lol! Worst troll ever.

Both Global and Wüsthof use the same blade alloy mixture.

WÜSTHOF - knives are all made of a special steel alloy.
X50 Cr MoV 15 - a special alloy for superb knives.

X : Stainless steel
50 : 0,5 % carbon- the carbon content is significant for the sharpness
Cr : Chromium for stain-resistant properties
Mo : Molybdenum enhances the stain-resistant properties
V : Vanadium for hardness and edge retention
15 : Contents of chromiumin % (15%)

Oh and FYI. Taken from Yoshkin's own site.
It is recommended that you wash your Global knives by hand using a mild dishwashing liquid and water. After washing, rinse with water and dry thoroughly with a towel. Global knives should NOT be put in the dishwasher. Doing so could damage the sharp edges should they come into contact with other objects in the dishwasher. In addition, exposure to extreme heat and powerful detergents found in dishwashers can be harmful to CROMOVA 18 high carbon stainless steel.
By Mark
J wrote:
jymmm wrote:It takes two seconds to clean a knife
Even i'm not that lazy :rotflmao:
No kitchen sink still.
Toilet?
By cheapskate
EvoStu wrote:Inferior brands lol! Worst troll ever.

Both Global and Wüsthof use the same blade alloy mixture.

WÜSTHOF - knives are all made of a special steel alloy.
X50 Cr MoV 15 - a special alloy for superb knives.

X : Stainless steel
50 : 0,5 % carbon- the carbon content is significant for the sharpness
Cr : Chromium for stain-resistant properties
Mo : Molybdenum enhances the stain-resistant properties
V : Vanadium for hardness and edge retention
15 : Contents of chromiumin % (15%)

Oh and FYI. Taken from Yoshkin's own site.
It is recommended that you wash your Global knives by hand using a mild dishwashing liquid and water. After washing, rinse with water and dry thoroughly with a towel. Global knives should NOT be put in the dishwasher. Doing so could damage the sharp edges should they come into contact with other objects in the dishwasher. In addition, exposure to extreme heat and powerful detergents found in dishwashers can be harmful to CROMOVA 18 high carbon stainless steel.
Very good Stu.

When I was handling my mother's estate, the Wusthof's went in the bin due to the corrosion and I kept the Globals. I think I already mentioned that Australian dishwashers don't use salt so that might explain why my mothers Globals survived her dishawasher. I am not disputing what Yoshikin recommend.
You say I am trolling. Funny thing is I bought her the Wusthofs as a present so obviously I am biased against them. No one could be more surprised at how poorly they lasted than I was.
By Pee Zed
Truth be told, Jap steel is slightly harder than the steel in European knives, hence they actually are technically "better". But it's like nitpicking the difference between a Ferrari and Porsche 911. Both are better than your fiat panda.
By EvoStu
cheapskate wrote:When I was handling my mother's estate, the Wusthof's went in the bin due to the corrosion and I kept the Globals. I think I already mentioned that Australian dishwashers don't use salt so that might explain why my mothers Globals survived her dishawasher. I am not disputing what Yoshikin recommend.
You say I am trolling. Funny thing is I bought her the Wusthofs as a present so obviously I am biased against them. No one could be more surprised at how poorly they lasted than I was.
I have both. I sell both. :bigthumb:

With regards salt in dishwashers in Oz........not in all states you're right. But some yes.
By Pee Zed
What other knives have you tried?
By Mark
£250 + block > Go [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]
By Pee Zed
I bought a ProCook block, it's waiting for me in London. Can't wait to start using it.

It's fuaaarkin mahoosive too.
By Magnificent_one
Stu, you sell these?

The storage tray, not the knives :)
By dutch
Anyone get the tesco ones you had to collect the stickers for?

We got the full set with the block, think it cost about £30, from £100, seriously impressed. Thomas they're called.
Last edited by dutch on Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]