The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Have a recipe to share? It doesn't matter if its cheesy beans on toast or Foie Gras, or maybe some cooking tips that could make Heston Blumenthal look like a rank amateur? Then post them in here and let the world know.
By Pee Zed
Forgot to respond to this thread!

I had heard from a few people who have pro knives and relatives in the cooking industry that Globals, while good, are a tad overpriced when taking into account European knives are cheaper (even wusthofs) and are just as good, whilst if you pay a little more you can get amazing Japanese knives like Tojiro Senkou or Kasumi. Apparently, anyway. IO Shen are the same price as Globals too, and better.

Then again, all this could be opinion from people that make a fuss out of not being able to slice a carrot at 100 mph. Whatevs isn't it.
By m1ke
5 pages in, which are best value for money? We need some shortly. Links would be rather useful.
By Aid1987
So, I'm pretty much sold on the idea of getting a Victorinox kitchen knife based on what people have said about them and I'm tempted to go for the rosewood handle but I can't find it in the shops to see what it feels like.

Can anyone tell me if it is better/worse (in terms of comfort and grip) than the regular 'easy grip' style handle?
By EvoStu
Aid1987 wrote:So, I'm pretty much sold on the idea of getting a Victorinox kitchen knife based on what people have said about them and I'm tempted to go for the rosewood handle but I can't find it in the shops to see what it feels like.

Can anyone tell me if it is better/worse (in terms of comfort and grip) than the regular 'easy grip' style handle?
Best thing is to try them in a shop. I find my Wusthof knives more comfortable than my Globals but my missus prefers the Globals.
By Cockpiss Analfist
Aid1987 wrote:So, I'm pretty much sold on the idea of getting a Victorinox kitchen knife based on what people have said about them and I'm tempted to go for the rosewood handle but I can't find it in the shops to see what it feels like.

Yeah rosewood hands down. Feels so much better than that cheap plastic sh-t.

just dont EVER put them through the dishwasher. this appies to all knives (not cutlery obvs)
By J
New rule in my house.

If its not dishwasher proof then it gets binned.
By Cockpiss Analfist
J wrote:New rule in my house.

good luck with your warped, discoloured and blunt knife goals of 2014
By EvoStu

Perfect way to destroy your knives J. Don't dishwash any of ours.
By jymmm
It takes two seconds to clean a knife
Even i'm not that lazy :rotflmao:
By J
Sorry but everything. All those bits of plastic for mixers and alike will be going the same way.
By J
jymmm wrote:It takes two seconds to clean a knife
Even i'm not that lazy :rotflmao:
No kitchen sink still.
By cheapskate

My mother had arthritis in her old age and avoided washing up by hand as much as possible. She used to put her Globals in the dishwasher. I'm still using them and they are fine.
By Cockpiss Analfist
cheapskate wrote:

My mother had arthritis in her old age and avoided washing up by hand as much as possible. She used to put her Globals in the dishwasher. I'm still using them and they are fine.

They are probably blunt as flip by now. The chemicals in the dishwash erodes the blade edge much faster than washing by hand.
By EvoStu
It's the salt that does the biggest damage to the steel.

Global actually reject warranty claims outright if you tell them that you washed them in a dishwasher. True story.
By J
Supposing you have a water softener fitted? Am I supposed to wash knives in Perrier ? :lol:
By J
And fairy Liquid. :lol:
By cheapskate
Cockpiss Analfist wrote:
cheapskate wrote:

They are probably blunt as flip by now. The chemicals in the dishwash erodes the blade edge much faster than washing by hand.
Well they would be except for:

I could nearly shave with them. You are right though, the dishwasher is harsher than hand-washing and just dissolves inferior brands like Wustof etc, but the high vanadium content steel in Globals is very resistant in my experience.
By cheapskate
EvoStu wrote:It's the salt that does the biggest damage to the steel.

Global actually reject warranty claims outright if you tell them that you washed them in a dishwasher. True story.
Maybe that's it. My mum was in Oz and the water is such that dishwashers over there don't use salt.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]