The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Have a recipe to share? It doesn't matter if its cheesy beans on toast or Foie Gras, or maybe some cooking tips that could make Heston Blumenthal look like a rank amateur? Then post them in here and let the world know.
I gather that chipshops will leave it as long as poss before changing, must cost a fair bit to flush out the old stuff. Just wondered if its better to change it more often with home made ones.

Dunno why but I'll eat whatever they put in front of me when I'm out and about but when i cook at home I try and keep fat and salt to a minimum. I dont really like the thought of deep fat frying stuff simply because its so bad for you but i am getting a bit bored of oven chips. Anybody tried one of those Tefal friers that use barely any oil? If so, what they like?
duckdodgersuk wrote::salut: McCain Gorgeous Chips

The very best British potatoes cut into chunky chips and basted in sumptuous beef dripping. The ultimate chip indulgence.

Shut up you pleb. That's what they sell up north on council estates.
Triple cooking is fine and dandy if done right. First stage should be chips par-boiled in plain unsalted water. Drain, dry, freezer/blast chiller for 30 mins then blanch on around 130-150 degrees in either dripping or vegetable oil. Drain, dry and then whack it up to 190ish and flash fry before serving.

Depends how you like your centres though. If you want them slightly stodgier don't par-boil them. If you want them crunchier and lighter par-boil them. :bigthumb:
davey j wrote:Triple cooking is fine and dandy if done right. First stage should be chips par-boiled in plain unsalted water. Drain, dry, freezer/blast chiller for 30 mins then blanch on around 130-150 degrees in either dripping or vegetable oil. Drain, dry and then whack it up to 190ish and flash fry before serving.

Depends how you like your centres though. If you want them slightly stodgier don't par-boil them. If you want them crunchier and lighter par-boil them. :bigthumb:

:scratch: beef dripping for all three stages> water.
Water stage one, beef dripping/veg oil stage 2 and 3. That's how I've been taught in restaurants. Encourages the potatoes to shed their starch and allows them to stay crispier for longer once cooked and sent.

By frying them off on fat in the first instance you are sealing in a load of starch.

Again, it comes down to personal preference but try the above at some point and see how you get on. Maris Pipers are the best for this also.
NHB_EP3_Chris wrote:Dunno why but I'll eat whatever they put in front of me when I'm out and about but when i cook at home I try and keep fat and salt to a minimum. I dont really like the thought of deep fat frying stuff simply because its so bad for you but i am getting a bit bored of oven chips. Anybody tried one of those Tefal friers that use barely any oil? If so, what they like?
It's only thought to be bad for you (if indeed excess fat is actually bad for you) when it's things that absorb the fat when you cook. Once you have the first cooking of the chips done, they shouldn't absorb much at all and just recrisp up?

The actifry things are ok, but they only make chips good enough for a quick tea, nothing that you'd think, "OMG WHAT IS THIS GORGEOUSNESS?!" like proper chips as above.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]