The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Have a recipe to share? It doesn't matter if its cheesy beans on toast or Foie Gras, or maybe some cooking tips that could make Heston Blumenthal look like a rank amateur? Then post them in here and let the world know.
By EvoStu
scot wrote:Agreed. Unless your Stu, who counts the digits in the price before deciding if it is expensive enough for him
I sell them mate. I don't pay full price for them. :lol: And FYI, I don't pay full price for anything.......I'm a tight fisted tw*t when it comes to money. :lol:
By Superbully
EvoStu wrote:
karl wrote:a knife is a Flipping knife, if it separates an item into two parts, then how the feck is it worth spending hundreds on a single blade when a £10 Tesco one does EXACTLY the same thing? it isn't like hi-fi equipment where there is an obvious difference in what it delivers :salut:
There really is a difference. If you haven't tried a decent knife you can't know the difference can you?

Happy with mediocrity, that's fine. :lol:
You're being trolled Stu - He's already admitted that a more expensive knife is better in performance and quality after I enraged him so much during his trolling he caved :lol: so therefore the above contradictory to his admission and = pure troll.

If what J posts is true was going to post what a hypocritical troll that would make him but actually it isn't hypocritical at all seeing as he knows how good they are :cool:
By karl
I got enraged? orly? where? I think you'll find (as you already know, but are trying to put a brave face on) that you got spectacularly owned and made to look a complete idiot, and not once did I admit "that a more expensive knife is better in performance and quality", where the fuck did you pull that from you mong? I said I trolled you, not that you were correct, now go away and exercise your short arse syndrome somewhere else before you remove any further shred of humour from the thread..
By davey j
EvoStu wrote:
Omni wrote:As long as they look the part you still get the main benefit which is Internet dick upgrade. Nobody will know they're not real, like having a fake breitling, only the most discerning connoisseur like Stu will know the difference, to everyone else as long as they think it can call out a helicopter they'll still be impressed.
Not quite true. You can tell a fake watch a mile off, you don't have to be a "discerning connoisseur". Knives are a bit more difficult as there are some VERY good copies out there. Like I say its all down to the quality of the steel used. The fakes just pit and blunt so much more easily. The big giveaway is the logo on the blade though and the balance of the knife.

This is quite a good little post from a chap on FleaBay........ironically you can't sell knives on ebay anyway. :lol:

The Dimples.
The dimples on the handle should be uniformly presented. You should be able to see straight lines in four different direction. The dimples should all be the same size. The black in the dimples is not paint - it a darker shade of the metal (where it has been anodised) and exactly fits inside dimple. If you can see paint outside the dimple it is a fake. You can also go onto the Global website and find a picture of the knife to count the number of dimples and compare to the handle you have.

The Blade.
The blade should be 2mm thick on the blunt edge (apart from the flexible knives which are thinner). The sharp edge should be feathered into the blade with uniform thickness along the blade. You should also be able to see concentric rings along the blade - this is from the manufacturing process.

The Logo.
The logo is anodised onto the blade (as per the dimples) not painted. If there is paint on the blade then it is a fake. There should be an "r" in a circle and other markings (go to the Global website to compare). There should be the knife model number present.

Balance.
Balance the kinfe on your finger at the point where the handle joins the blade - it should balance in a horizontal position. If it tips forward or backwards then it is a fake.

The Cut Test.
Cut something hardish like an onion with the knife. If you've never used a Global before and it is genuine then you'll know it - they come out of the factory as sharp as anything I have ever used. If you have used a Global before then you'll soon be able to tell if it is a fake.

The shake test. This is the easiest way to spot a fake. Take the knife and shake it with the handle near your ear (be careful, its sharp!). Global knives have sand in the hollow of the handle to balance them - you can hear the sand moving about inside the handle. The larger the blade the more weight it needs so the more sand and the more likely you are to hear it - small knives make hardly any noise.
The numbers on the blades vary on the fakes too.

Usually a 17 replaces the 18.

New ones are brilliant out of the packet and there isn't a professional I know that hasn't had/used one. In my experience with them I think that they are a smidge overrated and way over priced. Diamond Steels for example. I had one (cost around £80) and it did what all diamond steels eventually do and wore out. Now use a £14.99 Vogue item and replace it annually against the tax bill Lasts just as long any way. Ended up giving away a whole bunch of their knives after losing patience with them blunting up. Much prefer Henkels/Wuhstof in terms of comfort/vfm/longevity. I can box away kilos and kilos of Veg/Meat using those without fuss. Sabatier used to be ok but the quality of their blades has diminished. My Global equivalents give me a nice blister/callous due to the handle design and they blunt up super quick compared to the German steels.

That said, my filleting Global is bang on and I still use the paring knife.

Also, if you've done agency work before, you don't want a "look at me" knife set as you can guarantee someone will have 'em away. The German stuff looks pretty much like any other generic knife set. It's only if you know what they are would you take a closer look.

Everyone is different though I guess. I still think Levi jeans rule the world...............but there will always be an Armani fan who will say otherwise ;-)

EDIT. Rob, another Chef friend has a set of Globals which must be getting on for around £1800 worth in his stupidly over-sized knife roll. What does he use on a daily basis? (save for filleting/julienne work)............a £35 Victorinox pastry knife (aka a wonderbat). It's a bit of an ongoing joke given he could do his entire job with 3 knives! If you ever ask him about the Global stuff it'll usually be met with a shrug and the words "first decent pay packet after college".

Yet on the other side another one, Tom. swears by them and won't use anything else.
By mjhamilton
EvoStu wrote:
scot wrote:Agreed. Unless your Stu, who counts the digits in the price before deciding if it is expensive enough for him
I sell them mate. I don't pay full price for them. :lol: And FYI, I don't pay full price for anything.......I'm a tight fisted tw*t when it comes to money. :lol:

so Stu.. how much would a set of these knives cost.. if for example the ones that I have had in the kitchen for the last 13 years had recently started to snap and take fingers off in the process :shouldbeinteresting:
By cheapskate
Omni wrote:Do global make throwing knives?
Stand still for a minute, and I'll find out.
By EvoStu
mjhamilton wrote:
EvoStu wrote:

so Stu.. how much would a set of these knives cost.. if for example the ones that I have had in the kitchen for the last 13 years had recently started to snap and take fingers off in the process :shouldbeinteresting:
I have to be honest and say the perfect set of knives for me would be a combo of different manufacturers. Some are good at one particular type of knife but then not good at others.
By mjhamilton
EvoStu wrote:
mjhamilton wrote:
EvoStu wrote:

I have to be honest and say the perfect set of knives for me would be a combo of different manufacturers. Some are good at one particular type of knife but then not good at others.
Geez... I just want a set of metal things that will cut stuff whilst not cutting me...

Secondary use would be defence against home invasion
By epchop
I used globals for a few years and found they lose their edge quickly and they blistered my hands although my mate loves them. Now I use a mix of victorinox, henckels and kai seki magoroku, much better value for money, a lot more comfortable to use and very sharp
By EvoStu
epchop wrote:I used globals for a few years and found they lose their edge quickly and they blistered my hands although my mate loves them. Now I use a mix of victorinox, henckels and kai seki magoroku, much better value for money, a lot more comfortable to use and very sharp
Globals like any decent knife have to be looked after.
By mjhamilton
EvoStu wrote:
epchop wrote:I used globals for a few years and found they lose their edge quickly and they blistered my hands although my mate loves them. Now I use a mix of victorinox, henckels and kai seki magoroku, much better value for money, a lot more comfortable to use and very sharp
Globals like any decent knife have to be looked after.
I want knives not another wife, more kids or pets
By karl
I have only a cleaver and use it for everything, fags
By mjhamilton
karl wrote:I have only a cleaver and use it for everything, fags
Foad... I am buying a chainsaw to cut my carrots
By J
mjhamilton wrote:
Foad... I am buying a chainsaw to cut my carrots
Pah I just go all hulk on mine.
By karl
I used to use a hatchet till a bear took it
By mjhamilton
My bear was killed by the lion in the woods....
By EvoStu
I use a 14th century samurai sword. The blade was folded 400 times. Awesome for cutting onions with.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]