The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Have a recipe to share? It doesn't matter if its cheesy beans on toast or Foie Gras, or maybe some cooking tips that could make Heston Blumenthal look like a rank amateur? Then post them in here and let the world know.
By Stevo07
J wrote:
Stevo07 wrote:
J wrote:Bump.

Just been offered a set of 12 knives in a pouch case for £280. Good price?

It's from a shop but is there any way to tell if they are through real thing?
I have some knives I can put in a pouch. Bought from a shop too. £100 for you sir.
Perhaps I should of said global knives :lol:
:badrazz:
By cheapskate

Contact the UK distributor and ask them. They will soon tell you whether they are legit or not.
By EvoStu
cheapskate wrote:

Contact the UK distributor and ask them. They will soon tell you whether they are legit or not.
Means feck all. Anyone can sell them if they can get hold of them. There is not much in terms of look between a real one and a fake. Only the quality of the steel is different.
By lee1101
I got some fake globals off a pikey who used to come in the kitchen I worked at selling random shizzle. 12 in a pouch for £50.

They were great for a few years but now the weights in the handles have started coming loose so they rattle like a biatch when your cutting.

Still, they keep sharp well and haven't rusted so bit of a bargain.
By Omni
As long as they look the part you still get the main benefit which is Internet dick upgrade. Nobody will know they're not real, like having a fake breitling, only the most discerning connoisseur like Stu will know the difference, to everyone else as long as they think it can call out a helicopter they'll still be impressed.
By EvoStu
Omni wrote:As long as they look the part you still get the main benefit which is Internet dick upgrade. Nobody will know they're not real, like having a fake breitling, only the most discerning connoisseur like Stu will know the difference, to everyone else as long as they think it can call out a helicopter they'll still be impressed.
Not quite true. You can tell a fake watch a mile off, you don't have to be a "discerning connoisseur". Knives are a bit more difficult as there are some VERY good copies out there. Like I say its all down to the quality of the steel used. The fakes just pit and blunt so much more easily. The big giveaway is the logo on the blade though and the balance of the knife.

This is quite a good little post from a chap on FleaBay........ironically you can't sell knives on ebay anyway. :lol:

The Dimples.
The dimples on the handle should be uniformly presented. You should be able to see straight lines in four different direction. The dimples should all be the same size. The black in the dimples is not paint - it a darker shade of the metal (where it has been anodised) and exactly fits inside dimple. If you can see paint outside the dimple it is a fake. You can also go onto the Global website and find a picture of the knife to count the number of dimples and compare to the handle you have.

The Blade.
The blade should be 2mm thick on the blunt edge (apart from the flexible knives which are thinner). The sharp edge should be feathered into the blade with uniform thickness along the blade. You should also be able to see concentric rings along the blade - this is from the manufacturing process.

The Logo.
The logo is anodised onto the blade (as per the dimples) not painted. If there is paint on the blade then it is a fake. There should be an "r" in a circle and other markings (go to the Global website to compare). There should be the knife model number present.

Balance.
Balance the kinfe on your finger at the point where the handle joins the blade - it should balance in a horizontal position. If it tips forward or backwards then it is a fake.

The Cut Test.
Cut something hardish like an onion with the knife. If you've never used a Global before and it is genuine then you'll know it - they come out of the factory as sharp as anything I have ever used. If you have used a Global before then you'll soon be able to tell if it is a fake.

The shake test. This is the easiest way to spot a fake. Take the knife and shake it with the handle near your ear (be careful, its sharp!). Global knives have sand in the hollow of the handle to balance them - you can hear the sand moving about inside the handle. The larger the blade the more weight it needs so the more sand and the more likely you are to hear it - small knives make hardly any noise.
By karl
a knife is a fucking knife, if it separates an item into two parts, then how the feck is it worth spending hundreds on a single blade when a £10 Tesco one does EXACTLY the same thing? it isn't like hi-fi equipment where there is an obvious difference in what it delivers :salut:
By mjhamilton
Omni wrote:Oh no he didn't..
In karls neck of the woods knives are used for crime and muggings so any shank will do the job :)

In fairness he is right.. A decent knife is about how it is made... A good £10 knife will do the same job as one made the same way marked up over £100

Bit like HDMI cables :)
By Adey
karl wrote:a knife is a Flipping knife, if it separates an item into two parts, then how the feck is it worth spending hundreds on a single blade when a £10 Tesco one does EXACTLY the same thing? it isn't like hi-fi equipment where there is an obvious difference in what it delivers :salut:
You are so wrong [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]
By lee1101
karl wrote:a knife is a Flipping knife, if it separates an item into two parts, then how the feck is it worth spending hundreds on a single blade when a £10 Tesco one does EXACTLY the same thing? it isn't like hi-fi equipment where there is an obvious difference in what it delivers :salut:
I agree to a point. For home use and someone who does not use a knife often then yeah a knife is a knife. But for a professional or keen home cook then a good set of knives is a must. It makes all your prep work so much easier if your knives are comfortable in the hand, well weighted and of course razor sharp :smile:

It's also safer to work if your knife is razor sharp. Stops you slipping off onions etc and taking the tip of your finger off
By EvoStu
There really is a difference. If you haven't tried a decent knife you can't know the difference can you?

Happy with mediocrity, that's fine. :lol:
By scot
lee1101 wrote:
I agree to a point. For home use and someone who does not use a knife often then yeah a knife is a knife. But for a professional or keen home cook then a good set of knives is a must. It makes all your prep work so much easier if your knives are comfortable in the hand, well weighted and of course razor sharp :smile:

It's also safer to work if your knife is razor sharp. Stops you slipping off onions etc and taking the tip of your finger off
Agreed. Unless your Stu, who counts the digits in the price before deciding if it is expensive enough for him
By J
karl wrote:a knife is a Flipping knife, if it separates an item into two parts,

Yup

then how the feck is it worth spending hundreds on a single blade when a £10 Tesco one does EXACTLY the same thing?

No, they are not the same

it isn't like hi-fi equipment where there is an obvious difference in what it delivers

There is a clear difference.

:salut:
Didn't I see you had bought a set recently.? :lol:

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]