The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

We all move on at some point, get some help from our members on what to buy next. Usually a monster V8 or second hand Lambo will suffice but usually the three letters M P S will be muttered......standard!
By robbie_62
Hi all,

Currently driving just over 300 miles a week in my 2007 FN2 GT, I get the full week out of a tank but that is it, I have to fill it up every week.

I am looking at possibly having to change for a diesel in the next few months as I could do with reducing my fuel bill,

So I was looking at the following :
2012 Civic Diesel (not sure though as it would remind me of Type R :( )
2012 Ford Focus

Just wanted to check if anyone had any other recommendations or any feedback on the 2 cars above,

Thanks
By robbie_62
ok so lets add it up,

Civic Tax €710 !
Fuel €65 Per Week = €3380 Minimum as I sometimes have to fill up twice a week if I have to go to the other side of the country for a customer.
Total €4090 Per Year

Diesel Car
Tax €200
Fuel €35 Per week = €1820
Total €2,020

Saving of 2,000 a year!
By jtc
Diesel servicing costs > Civic servicing costs

Good luck getting that assumed MPG too, unless you drive the diesel like a granny everywhere and don't overtake anything.

300 miles a week = approx 15k miles a year. That's not enough to warrant changing cars IMHO. Just change how you drive the civic - 5mph slower, better reading of road ahead, reduced amount of braking, slower acceleration etc.
By robbie_62
Looked at the A3 also but your paying a premium and not getting too much in return, I have a few mates who have has nothing but trouble with the Diesel Audi's \ VW's
By berty182
robbie_62 wrote:Looked at the A3 also but your paying a premium and not getting too much in return, I have a few mates who have has nothing but trouble with the Diesel Audi's \ VW's
True they are quite expensive, i bought an 04 plate for about 4k, does about 65mpg so i can't complain at all!
By NHB_EP3_Chris
I swapped my EP3 for a 2008 BMW e92 320d as I was in a similar position. I do about 350 miles a week, sometimes more depending on work commitments. It's nowhere near as fun on a warm weekend but its very comfortable, handles really well, goes alright (BMW Power Kit) and is currently sitting on 56.5mpg. There are stories of timing chain tensioner issues but so far mine has just hit 75k and it still sounds fine. *touch wood*
NHB_EP3_Chris wrote:I swapped my EP3 for a 2008 BMW e92 320d as I was in a similar position. I do about 350 miles a week, sometimes more depending on work commitments. It's nowhere near as fun on a warm weekend but its very comfortable, handles really well, goes alright (BMW Power Kit) and is currently sitting on 56.5mpg. There are stories of timing chain tensioner issues but so far mine has just hit 75k and it still sounds fine. *touch wood*
But how much extra was the BMW compared to the EP3? IF he is looking to save but spends lets say an extra £4k getting another car, whats the point.
By shorty_123
I just sold a e91 330d Msport, remapped with 412lbft. It is a fab car but ive had the most fun in the ep3 and im not sure I'd go back. Servicing costs were the main reason and tyres... Bloody run flats.

Think you'd miss the fun from that high revving petrol.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]